Twin Peaks VR game

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks VR game

Post by TwinsPeak »

Is there any more news on the VR game?
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
^◊^

Post by ^◊^ »

Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

So, anyone else getting this?

Happened to pick up an Oculus Rift S a week back. Had a lot of experience with a friend's HTC Vive. If you have the money, and a half decent computer, I can honestly say VR is one of the most mind blowing things you'll experience. It's difficult to describe if you haven't actually used it before. But, some motion controllers and a game with high levels of interactivity is unlike any typical video game.

Now having said that, I can't help but be a bit skeptical as to the quality of this. In part because it's a first time game by a first time developer published by a first time games publisher (Showtime and Collider). In part because I don't know how involved Lynch was, (or if his involvement or lack thereof would be a good or bad thing, if he's not super into VR). I'm also skeptical as to how long it will be. Early VR days, like 2016, had a ton of chaff tossed out there, like, '20 minute experiences at best'. There are still some of those, but, developers have rapidly begun to flesh out both the length, and depth of their experiences. How much interaction will the locations have? And for that matter, how much will there actually be to do? I'm avoiding the trailer specifically because I expect it'll be short, and I know in all likelihood I'll get it, if just for the novelty and to support the brand (in vague hopes of a Season 4). But, that'll be the differentiation between whether the game is just successful with the very slim subset of Peaks fans who own VR, versus VR fans in general (I'm expecting it'll be the former).

It is neat that we're finally getting a Peaks game, to some extent. But, damn if I still don't wish the property found itself in the hands of a Supermassive/Quantic Dream/Telltale style developer with say, Frost shepherding some kind of murder-mystery story in the world of Peaks. That would be a dream game for me.
ozziejohn
Roadhouse Member

Post by ozziejohn »

The trailer makes it look a little janky, but some of the environment design looks great. I have a WIndows Mixed Reality headset and am really hoping to be able to get this thing to run on it....have had some success getting other Vive games to run on WMR with a program called ReVive (if anyone else faces the same worry as me) so really have my fingers crossed that it'll work with this
ozziejohn
Roadhouse Member

Post by ozziejohn »

CuriousWoman wrote:
As a bonus, according to them we'll finally get to know what the red room ceiling is like amonf other things. What was your idea that until now ? the same motif as the ground ? a mirror? a starry sky like at glastonburry grove? My favorite is the one that the drapes go on indefinitely so we can't see anything else.
Looks like it's just a red ceiling!
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

The disembodied hands give it a very Addams Family-crossover feel, ha.

I guess this looks good? I don't have any VR/Oculus experience through which to compare this to.

If they include the RR Diner, the Great Northern, The Palmer House, One Eyed Jack's, and I don't know, random stuff like Jacoby's office then I'd consider getting a headset just to walk around in this world. Hell, I'd even get a kick out of something like Leo's crummy house. Building a virtual map the size of a small town might unrealistic, but I wish they could do something like that -- I would love to be able to casually stroll from the Double R Diner to the Palmer House to Easter Park to the Roadhouse to Glastonberry Grove, and from there to the Red Room and maybe the Mauve Room and then back to town again... just to see how all the different parts of Twin Peaks connect with each other would be amazing.

How terrifying would it be to go to Evelyn Marsh's house in a VR setting?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

It’s interesting that the trailer is so focused on S3 locations, almost to the exclusion of more iconic locations from the original show.

I’m not much of a gamer. I’m tempted to give this a shot just because it’s Peaks and might have some exciting Easter eggs, but I’ll wait and see what the buzz is.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Okay, this looks a lot like I expected and predicted. Not too impressive. Weird, the trailer implies that there is an option for smooth locomotion, this while Collider disclosed earlier there would only be teleportation. I'll state this again: don't expect too much of this, especially not in terms of gameplay.

Also, I highly doubt there's much Lynch involvement. Hell, they're not even using Angelo's music in the trailer, rather some cheesy knockoff. Beats me as to why they couldn't get the rights for that.

I fully agree with Rudagger in that VR is an incredibly immersive experience, and I recommend it to anyone. If you're looking to get in to the world of VR anyway and you're a TP fan, this could very well be a nice option to spend some hours on. I'd advice against spending hundreds of dollars on a headset and/or a capable gaming pc rig if TPVR is all you want to do on it. In that case, there's other options to consider, such as asking a friend who owns it. For myself, I'll probably try it out on the rig on my university.

Oh, and around now would be a good time to go shopping for a headset. Half-Life: Alyx, one of the most anticipated and profilic VR games is coming up. Because there will be a VR boom soon, and developers are updating they're hardware, a lot of (slightly) aged headsets will become cheaper. This goes for second hand as well as refurbished ones.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

A Twin Peaks game is my absolute biggest wish to ever be able to play, but god damn it VR is the worst platform it could ever be in.

I'm not looking for exploring Twin Peaks while feeling I have to vomit all the time. Not into going to that world and then having to stay still afterwards for an hour because I got sick.

I've tried VR a couple of times and both of them ended up with severe nausea.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

There is something people call ''getting your VR legs". You can get used to it. But if it's that severe, probably not worth it. :lol:
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

http://www.twinpeaks-vr.com/

Oculus Quest and PlayStationVR versions coming soon.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Someone made the Black Lodge using Dreams on a PS4
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Maybe it's just me, but I wish you wouldn't put fan stuff in a thread for the official game.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

@Needleman. If you're regularly annoyed by another member you can also choose to ignore/mute them. This is the so-manieth time I see you telling off Krishnan in a post without contributing to the discussion in any other way; which kind of annoys me. Yet, I enjoy reading the other stuff that you post.

And yes, I actually liked looking at that vid, thought it was somewhat relevant and am not at all annoyed by the fact it was posted here in this thread on this pretty much deserted messaging board. Actually, the treatment with mutual respect is a policy on this board, always remaining strictly on topic is not.

I, for one, am happy we have a group of devoted members here and think we should all cherish that. That's why I'm trying to convey this message in a manner that's as friendly as possible.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Seems they've recropped the image where you could see the cieling of the red room until it's just a corner of it on the official site. Perhaps that wasn't final design?
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.