Blue Rose...Blue Dye

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Re: Blue Rose...Blue Dye

Post by OK,Bob »

garethw wrote:Tangentially related, and I don't think I've ever seen this come up - I'm always struck by how many flowers there are in the Palmer house in FWWM. Floral patterns are everywhere in that house...
Also in the gaudy wallpaper of One-Eye'd Jacks and the dream room in the picture "Mrs. Tremond" gives Laura...
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I really like the idea of the blue dye in the series being connected to the blue rose in the movie.

Not sure I'd go much beyond this in analysing it though, I think the blue rose just means as someone pointed out an "x-file" - or a symbol of mystery. Interestingly, in a lot of the author Peter Straub's darker stories, the blue rose featured. His novels "Koko", "Mystery", and "The Throat" are all known unofficially as "The Blue Rose Trilogy", and he's got a short story called "Blue Rose" too. I recommend them if anyone wants to check them out.

But, regarding TP, while there might be a case of a huge analytical symbolic meaning behind it, and it almost certainly refers to an "x-file"/supernatural mystery it could also just be a case of ...

:lol:
Attachments
Teacher Author Meaning.JPG
Teacher Author Meaning.JPG (29.93 KiB) Viewed 9841 times
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Don't forget Lady Blue Shanghai. Of course it's a commercial, but the imagery is relevant.

OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Upon closer inspection, the Caroline/Annie flower dress is certainly not adorned with a blue rose, however much the multicolored frill evokes one in the blue-lit scene in FWWM. Regardless, given how heavily the Blue Rose is featured in the (now apparently ill-named) "Complete Mystery" box set's packaging, I suspect we've not seen or heard the last of it...
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

Didn't see it mentioned here though I might have missed it.... In any event..... In Tennesee Williams' play "The Glass Menagerie" one of the main characters, her name is Laura and she is nicknamed 'Blue Roses'.... The nickname is a bit of word play on Pleurosis, an ailment Laura suffered from ....
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

What interests me about the blue rose is the repeated assertion I've seen that blue was explicitly banned from the color palette of the show by Lynch during production - that's a claim repeated in Brad's book by one of the guest directors, possibly Stephen Gyllenhaal? Yet I certainly recall seeing quite a bit of blue on the show, but maybe it was a specific hue or shade. And I always read the RR uniforms as blue.

I do wonder what we can read into the use of the blue rose in the film vs. this recurring anecdote re: the series. Anyway, does anyone know anything more about that angle?
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

N. Needleman wrote:What interests me about the blue rose is the repeated assertion I've seen that blue was explicitly banned from the color palette of the show by Lynch during production - that's a claim repeated in Brad's book by one of the guest directors, possibly Stephen Gyllenhaal? Yet I certainly recall seeing quite a bit of blue on the show, but maybe it was a specific hue or shade. And I always read the RR uniforms as blue.

I do wonder what we can read into the use of the blue rose in the film vs. this recurring anecdote re: the series. Anyway, does anyone know anything more about that angle?
Yes, there was a lot of striking, brilliant blue that appeared throughout the series. (Curiously, in the classroom scene in the pilot, note that most of the extras are wearing blue, while the main characters wear more neutral tones.) And let's not forget Project Blue Book. My assumption in general is that blue was not forbidden exactly, but controlled... To what end, we can only venture. Surely not all instances can be significant, but I have to believe there's often some significance behind the use of various primary colors: red, green, blue... Note that Lynch did pen, "Questions in a World of Blue", after all...

I'm reminded in FWWM that Leland (as I recall) twice repeats the phrase "a man comes out of the blue like that" in regards to "Mike". Recall that in the one-armed man's first substantial scene in the series he's wearing red and Hawk pursues him in the hospital where he is engulfed in a brilliant blue light: here he's going into the blue. [Stream of conscious alert:] He was heading towards the morgue and oxygen storage... the latter reminds me of the phrase, "we have descended from pure air, going up and down - intercourse between the two worlds." One world might be of Blue, perhaps... Now I'm wondering what other references to oxygen or air might be in the mix. "...music in the air." "There's something in the air, can you feel it?"
Attachments
Into_A_World_of_Blue.jpg
Into_A_World_of_Blue.jpg (42.17 KiB) Viewed 9677 times
Last edited by OK,Bob on Sun May 31, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

N. Needleman wrote:What interests me about the blue rose is the repeated assertion I've seen that blue was explicitly banned from the color palette of the show by Lynch during production - that's a claim repeated in Brad's book by one of the guest directors, possibly Stephen Gyllenhaal? Yet I certainly recall seeing quite a bit of blue on the show, but maybe it was a specific hue or shade. And I always read the RR uniforms as blue.
If true, maybe it means that Lynch didn't want the overall palette of scenes to be bluish (cool), rather than not wanting individual blue objects. We already know that he wanted things to be very warm. I recall comments from the USC retrospective events about Lynch even wanting the forest at night to have a relatively warm cast, which required doing research to find the perfect type of film.

There are plenty of blue things in Twin Peaks, including said uniforms and of course things as basic as blue eyes. On the other hand, hue is relative. How it appears is dependent on its environment. Let's say you have a flawless printout of a Twin Peaks diner scene. You could cut out a piece of the blue of one of the uniforms, then place it into a scene from a David Fincher project (which often means a blue-green palette), and the blue might not read as blue anymore, or at least might appear significantly less cool. This general phenomenon happens quite a bit in art and life, and the effect can be remarkably powerful:

The blue square in the red picture is the same color as the red square in the green picture.
Color-Constancy_sm.jpg
Color-Constancy_sm.jpg (48.83 KiB) Viewed 9677 times
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/str ... -the-eyes/
Last edited by Jasper on Sun May 31, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

You'll want to skip to the 1:10 mark and go from there....

This is meant in good fun but I also think it's spot on... The guy who wrote that script wrote the U.S. Version of LIFE ON MARS.

And while it's not very specific blue is glue seems apt because, as a matter of ghost protocols, it would apply to any spirit stuck -- in a glue -- between two worlds.

To sum up ... A blue rose case is any case concerning a murder of someone who is now stuck in the black lodge.