Huge Tati influence in The Return

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Huge Tati influence in The Return

Post by Adolphus »

Hi Folks,
Just wondering if anybody else thinks that there is a huge Jacques Tati influence in TP Season 3: The Return? I know that Lynch has talked about Tati in the past and you can see it right from the get go in Eraserhead plus other movies ( the man with the long red pole in Wild at Heart )- but in the Return it seems the pacing is really indebted to Tati- as well as the whole " Dougie " bits. My feeling is that you can really FEEL Tati in a much more major way in this new season ( mainly in the tempo ).
Obviously there are lots of other influences to consider ( say Breaking Bad on the Rancho Rosa sequences )- and lets not forget Mark Frost's indelible contributions- but does anybody else feel this way? Or is it just me?
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Re: Huge Tati influence in The Return

Post by BOB1 »

If there ever comes a topic "confess your moviegoer's sins", I'm gonna have to post: never seen a single Tati film :oops: Therefore I can hardly relate to what you're saying!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

BOB1 wrote:If there ever comes a topic "confess your moviegoer's sins", I'm gonna have to post: never seen a single Tati film :oops: Therefore I can hardly relate to what you're saying!
Not many people have- if you watch a couple- especially some of his later films TP: The Return really comes into focus ( so far anyway )- as to where Lynch is coming from in the new series.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

A lot of the DougieCoop scenes seem really inspired by Tati, not just the pace and gentle humour, but visually... all of the vibrant bright reds remind me of Mon Oncle....
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

alreadygoneplaces wrote:A lot of the DougieCoop scenes seem really inspired by Tati, not just the pace and gentle humour, but visually... all of the vibrant bright reds remind me of Mon Oncle....
Yes- good point about the use of colour. I don't think the Tati influence can be emphasized enough in relation to The Return.
The Woodsman

Post by The Woodsman »

I've been away for awhile, but I knew when I came back there would be something of interest to talk about. Another direct homage to Tati happened in North Bend, WA in the Double R parking lot during 2015 filming. A man with a red pipe (PVC) walked across the street from the diner towards the antique store. I can't say for sure the scene was actually filmed because I was unable to see cameras from where I was standing. When I watched The Return, I was disappointed it didn't appear in any diner scenes though. He must have filmed it, but like in Lost Highway, decided not to use it.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Inflences of Tati indeed, and Jeunet.

Some delicate odes to French cinema... and to Paris.
Using Tati and Jeunet colours and mise-en-scène.
Having a coffee with Monica Bellucci in movie dream city Paris, in 'The Third Man' black and white.
"I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love." [Albert Rosenfield]
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Yes, there was a lot of talk about Tati as the show was airing. Playtime, in particular, due to the corporate setting and the satire that goes along with it in Dougie's (Hulot) scenes.

I personally do not believe that Jeunet was an influence on Lynch, but you never know.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

LateReg wrote:[...]

I personally do not believe that Jeunet was an influence on Lynch, but you never know.
The colours made me think of him, but... I think that Jeunet was influenced by Tati, so I am considering it more of a 'continuous line' of influence(s).
"I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love." [Albert Rosenfield]
TheAlien
RR Diner Member

Post by TheAlien »

Looks like I have another mission here. Anything particular of Tati's later films?
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare