Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
LateReg

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby LateReg » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:02 am

Not sure if this Oscar thread was moved or not, but since not much is happening I just wanted to chime in.

I do think that politics has now more overtly invaded every walk of life, and that includes filmmaking, criticism and awards. But that doesn't mean that it's always a factor, whether positive or negative.

While I would have been fine with a few of the films winning, Parasite was indeed one of the most deserving winners of this century. I've seen it five times, including the recently released black and white version, which is more than any other film this year, and it really holds up and reveals more with each viewing, and is especially great in the theater. Other foreign films (with 2019 US release dates, per my listmaking regulations) that were around the same quality were La Flor, Transit, Ash is Purest White, Long Day's Journey into Night, An Elephant Sitting Still, The Image Book, Pain and Glory, Atlantics, Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Synonyms, but I prefer Parasite to most of them, and it has the acclaim and high-ranking year-end status from a variety of sources to back up its victory. I'm especially happy because I've always been a fan of Bong. After sitting through an Oscars ceremony that I mostly didn't care for - though I liked Joaquin's and Dern's speeches a lot - the end result made the whole night worth it.
NormoftheAndes

Postby NormoftheAndes » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:32 pm

Lord have mercy. I was hoping to see more discussion regarding the Frost book and his comments as mentioned earlier but people are still posting here about the Oscars.
krishnanspace

Postby krishnanspace » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:10 am

Positive Quote from Mark Frost..
https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksArchve/sta ... 3701953538

BTW Jerry where is this quote from?
Jerry Horne

Postby Jerry Horne » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:52 am

krishnanspace wrote:Positive Quote from Mark Frost..

viewtopic.php?f=22&p=122632#p122632
Poltergeist27

Postby Poltergeist27 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:40 am

Frost was interviewed last night by the Midnight in the Desert radio show. When asked whether there was more Peaks coming, he said they don’t tip their hand about the show and won’t do it here, but we have to wait and see what happens and what the passage of time brings. He did stammer a bit when responding. Read into that what you will. He also referenced the long gestation period of The Return, and said it’s been a pretty good policy to never say never.

Incidentally, later on in the broadcast Scott Ryan from Blue Rose magazine was interviews and indicated that Twin Peaks VR is going to be presented at the 30th fan celebration and that an announcement would be made today. He seemed to indicate this was what was coming down the pike a few months ago in terms of the rumors but didn’t that Horror Museum Twitter Account already debunk VR as the thing coming in 2020? I thought the VR already got released although Ryan said the thing at Graceland has Lynch’s involvement.
mtwentz

Postby mtwentz » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:51 am

NormoftheAndes wrote:Lord have mercy. I was hoping to see more discussion regarding the Frost book and his comments as mentioned earlier but people are still posting here about the Oscars.

Not much to discuss until we can read the book ourselves.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
Jasper

Postby Jasper » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:34 pm

krishnanspace wrote:Positive Quote from Mark Frost..

The most notable thing about it is the length of Frost's response. The "wait and see" and "never say never" parts are stock answers that Frost, Lynch and MacLachlan have been giving since season 3 was announced.
baxter

Postby baxter » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:17 pm

Now this is more like it!
Cappy

Postby Cappy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:32 pm

This is just blind speculation on my part, but I wonder if the all the CBS/Viacom merger stuff would potentially be hindering any talks with Lynch/Frost over a new season.

The fact that Showtime canceled Ray Donovan seems to not bode well for the chances of a Season 4, I think. Also, the reports of cost cutting and layoffs across the CBS/Viacom properties makes it sound like Lynch would have a harder time getting his budget approved this time around.

I really don't follow this aspect of the business, but would there be anything stopping Lynch/Frost from shipping a new season around to other networks/services? I want to read "What Did Jack Do?" as him testing the waters with Netflix, or perhaps even showing Showtime that he can take his work elsewhere, but I don't really know. It would be really disheartening to think that Lynch and Frost have written new material that's never filmed due to corporate hubris.
baxter

Postby baxter » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:22 pm

Interesting. I hadn't even considered the possibility that they want to do it, have it ready to go, but are struggling in talks.
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:48 pm

What Did Jack Do? was a short Lynch was planning even before TP:TR, and which he first released in 2017 at the Fondation Cartier pour l’Art Contemporain. There’s definitely nothing to be read into it dropping on Netflix in 2020 (on Lynch’s birthday!), other than a little treat for fans. I honestly found it weird that he hadn’t released it way sooner online.
dkenny78

Postby dkenny78 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:18 am

Cappy wrote:This is just blind speculation on my part, but I wonder if the all the CBS/Viacom merger stuff would potentially be hindering any talks with Lynch/Frost over a new season.

The fact that Showtime canceled Ray Donovan seems to not bode well for the chances of a Season 4, I think. Also, the reports of cost cutting and layoffs across the CBS/Viacom properties makes it sound like Lynch would have a harder time getting his budget approved this time around.

Yeah, but there's also the news of Viacom/CBS merging all of its streaming services (including Showtime) under one roof that actually could bode well for a continuation of Twin Peaks. While the linear ratings for The Return weren't spectacular, the streaming performance was frequently cited as record-setting. As Viacom looks for unique content that can help their platform stand out in this streaming landscape, I can't imagine they'll ignore that.
bob_wooler

Postby bob_wooler » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:08 pm

It's difficult not being hopeful when you hear this though:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1227652057894719488
AXX°N N.

Postby AXX°N N. » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:34 pm

bob_wooler wrote:It's difficult not being hopeful when you hear this though:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1227652057894719488

Hearing this for myself, it kind of sounds less that he's keeping anything secret, and more that it's an honest, snap re-appraisal of the franchise as it stands. And he's saying something I only recently wrapped my head around, which is how much material there is as a whole once everything was (for now) said and done. It's sort of why I have a hard time understanding the desperate need for more, because I think it's not yet appreciated how wide the mythology had been made. His two recent books opened a big net for everything else to fall inside, and gave significance that wasn't previously there to the previous expanded material. Even the Access Guide became slotted into the whole split-timelines consideration, but that's such a minor footnote for most fans. Contrary to popular belief, Frost did in fact revisit the material and took care to de-canonize and re-canonize things between the lines, and it's evident he took a look even at the books. The sheer scope of it was not evident to me at the time, when I was furiously re-reading old stuff, new stuff, watching and rewatching. I mean, consider Mr. Reindeer's timeline doc, which I've used for reference before--it fully reflects the content in terms of happenings, and it's huge! Now that it's over and I look back, it's just like Frost says--if there isn't more, there's still so much to re-appraise.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
NormoftheAndes

Postby NormoftheAndes » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:25 pm

He's clearly keeping something to himself. Yeah, there's plenty of Twin Peaks in existence but the desire for a continuing story is something Frost understands only too well.

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”