Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Rainwater »

I thought none of the interiors were filmed in the Salish?
I'll see you in the trees
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Jerry Horne wrote:
sneakydave wrote:Do we actually know something happened then? Or is it just based on their Twin Peaks vibe tweet?
All we have is a confluence of events that include the Dining Room shutting down for a day or two.
This room?
Attachments
the-dining-room.jpg
the-dining-room.jpg (407.24 KiB) Viewed 11080 times
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Yes. Behind the camera is the view.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Saw some photos on Google where you can see the Falls from the window.

The more I think about it, it probably just is another "Between Two Worlds"-like feature. I could see Lynch sitting there, interviewing some of the cast. But I hope it's more.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

JohnGSmoke wrote:Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've always wanted to see my face on dugpa....
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
JohnGSmoke
Roadhouse Member

Post by JohnGSmoke »

sneakydave wrote:
JohnGSmoke wrote:Image

I've always wanted to see my face on dugpa....
lol

tylergfoster

Post by tylergfoster »

To go back to the Daily Beast interview with Kyle MacLachlan for a moment, somewhere around the middle, the author mentions that the interview took place at TCA 2019, which places it a month earlier than the rumors, and a month before the article went online.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

tylergfoster wrote:To go back to the Daily Beast interview with Kyle MacLachlan for a moment, somewhere around the middle, the author mentions that the interview took place at TCA 2019, which places it a month earlier than the rumors, and a month before the article went online.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'd wondered when the interview took place, but I'd yet to read the entire thing. It was curious that the question wasn't asked in the context of the widespread rumors. If the interview had taken place more recently, instead of admitting to the routine nature of such a question, the author might have framed it as being timely in light of the recent hype.
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

If David Lynch scratches his right ear in the middle of answering a question about the future of Twin Peaks, SOMEONE will interpret that as something meaningful. ("Notice that he scratched his RIGHT ear! That means that he's saying that the question is on the RIGHT track! Also, watch the way that he pauses in the middle of of it. Clearly, that means that the Season 4 script is already written!")

Twin Peaks fans right now are like a guy anazlying every word and syllable in a girl's voicemail message trying to determine if she likes you. They're given VERY little to work with, but they're determined to read so much into every nanosecond of information.

Y'all blow up EVERYTHING. Even if it's a tweet from a source that 99% of us hadn't even heard of before.

That's why I am skeptical x 100 about the new rumors.

THAT SAID, would I love to hear about new Twin Peaks? FUCK YES. I would love to be wrong.

But, gotta say, that so far I'm not really feeling it...
PandemoniumSeesaw

Post by PandemoniumSeesaw »

Just a thought I am writing here so that you guys can debunk it, as I don't like having false hopes. Is it possible that when Lynch bailed out of the project and then came back with Nevins saying "the cup is even bigger than we expected" they actually agreed on two seasons and directly produced and directed both of them and are just waiting for the right moment to postproduce/publish the second part? Just a list of reasons this sounds plausible:
  • The removal of "Complete" from the television series box set
  • Showtime listing The Return as The Return - Season 1
  • I haven't heard of any "missing pieces" of The Return which sounds strange as I don't think it is usual directing 18 hours of material without some "leftover" scenes
I don't really believe what I have just hypothesised, I am just hoping for you to give me good reasons why this is not possible at all.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

There was a theory called "Season 3B" I think making the rounds on reddit which is very reminiscent of what you're talking about. While possible, it's extremely unlikely. Sabrina Sutherland indicated most of the footage shot was used. Even by watching The Return itself, you get the feeling not much was held back and most of the footage shot (the sweeping scene, etc.) wasn't cut down much. I could at most envision perhaps a couple of hours of content (ala The Missing Pieces) being left over, but even then I think it's unlikely. But definitely not a whole season's worth of content. The behind the scenes footage shows examples of Lynch complaining about the tight schedule, lack of time, etc. There's no way they shot a whole parallel season while shooting The Return. I mean, it is possible, just extremely unlikely imo. The things you mentioned could be indicative of Showtime planning for/hoping for another Season in the future, though. And some footage could have been shoot - a few scenes, some on location stuff, for that or an upcoming movie. But I highly doubt there's much more than that.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

PandemoniumSeesaw wrote:Just a thought I am writing here so that you guys can debunk it, as I don't like having false hopes. Is it possible that when Lynch bailed out of the project and then came back with Nevins saying "the cup is even bigger than we expected" they actually agreed on two seasons and directly produced and directed both of them and are just waiting for the right moment to postproduce/publish the second part? Just a list of reasons this sounds plausible:
  • The removal of "Complete" from the television series box set
  • Showtime listing The Return as The Return - Season 1
  • I haven't heard of any "missing pieces" of The Return which sounds strange as I don't think it is usual directing 18 hours of material without some "leftover" scenes
I don't really believe what I have just hypothesised, I am just hoping for you to give me good reasons why this is not possible at all.
Because it isn't, for about a million reasons. But the most obvious one is this: in this hypothetical 2nd season, they used literally all the same cast and locations? That sounds kinda boring to me...

The reason there are no deleted scenes is because Lynch had carte blanche to make literally whatever he wanted, and make it as long as he wanted, as long as he stayed within budget. I assure you if his other movies were produced under these circumstances they would have a lot fewer deleted scenes as well.
PandemoniumSeesaw

Post by PandemoniumSeesaw »

BGate wrote: The reason there are no deleted scenes is because Lynch had carte blanche to make literally whatever he wanted, and make it as long as he wanted, as long as he stayed within budget. I assure you if his other movies were produced under these circumstances they would have a lot fewer deleted scenes as well.
Well, on this, I don't agree. INLAND EMPIRE was produced with A LOT of creative freedom and still it has 1h15 worth of extra material.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

But The Return was 18 hours, originally supposed to be 9. You don't get the feeling much was held back. There could definitely be some additional scenes/footage, maybe even a couple of hours, as with FWWM and Inland Empire. I don't think that much could exist either, but it's possible. But that would be the most, I think. I highly doubt enough footage for a whole additional season or mini-season exists. There simply wasn't enough time to shoot it.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

I'm sure there are some deleted scenes. Whether we'll ever see them is a different matter. Took 20 years for The Missing Pieces, and Lynch probably only did it as a lead-in to S3.
A whole season shot in secret? Nah
I'll see you in the trees