Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JohnGSmoke
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by JohnGSmoke »

JohnGSmoke wrote:I hate to say this because I'm a die hard fan of Twin Peaks but with 1/3 of the season being over, poor rating and this whole Dougie thing going very slow, you won't see a 4th season. I am personally thinking about cancelling showtime and just waiting to binge watch it on Netflix when it comes out. Something that I'm totally against.

I was really hoping that when Hawk was walking through the forest while talking to Margaret on the phone and he seen the red drapes that he would of seen Cooper and it would have went from there instead of Las Vegas.

I hate to say it but I'm very disappointed

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
After watching episode 7, I'm in total wow mode, I hope the rest of the series is as good as episode 7.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by DoppelBocker »

I think Season 3 serves as more of a slow segue for expositional purposes from what was in the 90's to what is now post internet, DVD, and streaming phenomena in a new generation while making it work in a core sort of way.

People should remember this isn't simply Season 3 but a return after the series was ended many years ago. With that being said, I think a Season 4 will happen with or without Lynch. Lynch will be willing to do if still in good health and certain stringent conditions are met but it'll probably be for a shorter period I'm guessing. Anyway, I think if Lynch isn't involved at least this season as well as Mark Frost's books serves as a segue if the right person does come along to take a dive into the Twin Peaks storyline.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

DoppelBocker wrote:I think a Season 4 will happen with or without Lynch.
DoppelBocker wrote:I think if Lynch isn't involved at least this season as well as Mark Frost's books serves as a segue if the right person does come along to take a dive into the Twin Peaks storyline.
Please, no.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Yeah, no. Twin peaks as a franchise would be ghastly.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

I don't think it would come to that. IF Lynch and Frost flat-out refused to come back IF unable to regardless of creative freedom, employees available, or budget given then at least we have Season 3 still... Depending on where that leaves things, I think it could be possible to keep things going though.

I think if Season 3 hadn't happened then it would be near impossible to create something new set in this world without meddling with past mysteries in an unintended manner. Sure it can be argued lots of stuff that' occurred in season 2 was unintended as well as perhaps numerous changes made to the show than otherwise would've appeared if a 2nd movie or 3rd season was greenlighted in the 90's. With the same creative minds with season 3 it still is able to touch a number of key areas needing to be addressed that otherwise would've been impossible (let alone seguing things up to current time).

Depending on where the 3rd season and Mark Frosts next book coming out later this year leaves everything, another creative team MIGHT be possible if building something new (think Fargo TV series vs. Movie kind of connection). Not ideal but could be quality. It just wouldn't be worth it though if key mysteries are left open that are unable to be touched upon without Lynch or Frost's involvement. If not a lot of key mysteries left and going off with new characters in an anthology sort of way with some connections strewn in here and there it could be done but again I agree it wouldn't be worth it if key areas are left open at the end of season 3 and the book that are unable to be addressed.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

No.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

I predict a firm "no" from most on this board but speaking for myself I'm open to it under certain conditions as I expressed.
PeteMartell

Post by PeteMartell »

Unless they were to do a privately funded new version as an film installation at the Venice Bienalle or Documenta or some kind of art context where there is no limit whatsoever. Like Matthew Barney's Cremaster series, for example. Something even weirder.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

Poltergeist27 wrote:Looks like the ratings ticked up ever so slightly on Sunday, a 0.10 and 270,000 live viewers, up from 254,000 the week before:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/s ... -2017.html

By way of comparison, American Gods (which was renewed by Starz) got a 0.26 and 629,000 live viewers. We know the majority of Twin Peaks viewers watch on streaming platforms and there is a large international viewing audience so who knows?

I would love another season but will be happy if this is all we get.
Remember that ratings are nigh irrelevant these days with premium cable channels. The CEO of Showtime said that they had their two biggest days of showtime subscriptions, ever, in the 48 hours before the premiere. Subscriptions are where they get their money, not eyeballs for live showings.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Seeing a Season 4 without Lynch would be amusing, since those who are currently praising or forgiving Lynch for the controversial elements would start complaining about similar things on the basis that they aren't as good as what Lynch would have done. Or maybe I'm being too mischievous. :D

I don't think I'd like to see a Lynch-less series (or indeed a Frost-less series), but it depends how it ends. I like all of S2 on a first viewing, so I'd probably enjoy it regardless.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

I'm hoping for another movie rather then a new season.
A new season would be also great off course.
For me Lynch must be at least be supervising it.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

So far I loved everything Twin Peaks so I don't see how I wouldn't love something beyond S3.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

If Frost and Lynch feel they have more to say through this world, I'd happily take another season.

If not, I'm more than happy to see things capped off here.

I'm fairly certain that's how they feel as well, so really, I'm perfectly content with whatever the outcome is. I certainly don't need there to be more Twin Peaks just to have more Twin Peaks.
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

Cipher wrote:If Frost and Lynch feel they have more to say through this world, I'd happily take another season.

If not, I'm more than happy to see things capped off here.

I'm fairly certain that's how they feel as well, so really, I'm perfectly content with whatever the outcome is. I certainly don't need there to be more Twin Peaks just to have more Twin Peaks.
This. I'd love to see another season. The world of Twin Peaks is so rich and complex. I can easily see Lynch and Frost making another three seasons. If they want to, I would take them anytime.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I would love it if they did another season, with each episode written by Lynch + Frost and directed by Lynch. But, I would also be happy with something similar to Season 1, where other writers and directors are in the mix, but all under the supervision of L+F. I'm sure they could easily get Lesli Linka Glatter to direct again, plus some upcoming directors as well.

That's assuming that they still have Twin Peaks stories left to tell after Season 3... Part of me hopes for another unresolved cliffhanger, just so we can have something to speculate on for the next 25 years.