Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. It’s just that, from what I can tell, it’s not founded on anything but conjecture. Based on everything we’ve heard, I don’t see any reason to believe that Frost held Lynch back in any meaningful way that would outweigh the strengths he brought to the project, nor does there seem to have been any doubt who was in control (by all accounts, Lynch largely had free reign to do whatever he wanted once the script was done). For instance, we’ve been told that Lynch wrote a substantial amount of new material during filming and sent it to Frost for approval; Frost simply gave the thumbs-up to everything. I really have not gotten the impression from anyone involved in the production that Frost ever got in the way of anything Lynch wanted to do; he just brought a fresh set of eyes and ideas to the scripting phase that we otherwise would not have benefited from.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Well, it's founded on logic. Once you have to ask for "approval" (your words), there clearly is not the optimal artistic climate (regardless whether this approval was given or withheld). It is a big, big stretch in my opinion that an artist' vision is not severely altered and undermined, when someone else is formally as much in charge as he is and the basic premisses of the show have been born out of a dialogue.

And even if things did function more or less optimal during the making of S3, it would still make more sense to avoid the risks inherently associated with 'democratic art' next time.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 1.20.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 1.20.02 PM.png (215.38 KiB) Viewed 8555 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

Post by Phillip Jeffries_40 »

Jerry Horne wrote:...

I don,t see that this image could be related with a season 4.
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

Post by Phillip Jeffries_40 »

One Question:

After the time that has passed after season 3, after Kyle Mc Lachlan is working on a new series, with lynch and frost saying nothing, you really believe that there will be fourth season or at least one movie that closes the story definitively ? I would like to know what you think, not what you want, that that is very clear.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Phillip Jeffries_40 wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:...

I don,t see that this image could be related with a season 4.
The image doesn't.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Phillip Jeffries_40 wrote:One Question:

After the time that has passed after season 3, after Kyle Mc Lachlan is working on a new series, with lynch and frost saying nothing, you really believe that there will be fourth season or at least one movie that closes the story definitively ? I would like to know what you think, not what you want, that that is very clear.
Nobody knows until an announcement is made. Why keep worrying about it? If it happens, it happens.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Phillip Jeffries_40 wrote:After the time that has passed after season 3, after Kyle Mc Lachlan is working on a new series, with lynch and frost saying nothing, you really believe that there will be fourth season or at least one movie that closes the story definitively ? I would like to know what you think, not what you want, that that is very clear.
All these actors have worked on other shows and movies before, during and after Season 3. You should stop taking Lynch's silence and their finding other work as a declaration of anything. They told us nothing before announcing S3 either. Every few months you make these posts where you set an imaginary deadline and then dramatically say it must be over because you said so. That's your problem, it's not anybody else's and nobody on Twin Peaks is working according to the timetable in your head. Chill out and stop pretending you can tell anyone else how to think.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

AgentEcho wrote:I recall Lynch's comments about Carrie Page... she's calling but there are disturbances, to paraphrase. Could "disturbances" refer to disagreements between Lynch and Frost about the direction of season 4?
There is no evidence of this.
Again all speculation, but I'd guess the talks just broke down and Frost was probably not that thrilled about it.
There is no evidence of this either. I don't know why you guys constantly search for the most sinister and downbeat explanation to the slightest thing. You make these incredible leaps in deduction and act like it's common knowledge.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

There is no reason for pessimism. Twin Peaks has more lives than Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers combined.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Rhodes wrote:Well, it's founded on logic. Once you have to ask for "approval" (your words), there clearly is not the optimal artistic climate (regardless whether this approval was given or withheld). It is a big, big stretch in my opinion that an artist' vision is not severely altered and undermined, when someone else is formally as much in charge as he is and the basic premisses of the show have been born out of a dialogue.

And even if things did function more or less optimal during the making of S3, it would still make more sense to avoid the risks inherently associated with 'democratic art' next time.
Say what you will, but I think that the universe of Twin Peaks only benefitted from this joined creative approach (that holds especially true for seasons 1 and 2, which are vastly superior to this newest season). Without it, TP wouldn't be as we know it. And anyhow, it's rather disrespectful to treat one of the original creators (or a founding father, if you will) of the saga - who contributed just as much to its lore as the other one, if not more - as some kind of wastrel nobody asked for who constantly dragged down the genious creative efforts of the One Who Can Do No Wrong.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

When S3 finished airing, David Lynch said that it took about 4 years to make the last series, and we should expect a similar wait for any new stuff. There followed all sorts of speculation and crazy rumours, from "there is already another series in the bag" to "they will announce a new series at ***-con, ***-date, etc". All of these were just made up, or wishful thinking.

Nothing has happened since S3 came off the air to invalidate Lynch's original claim, and everything suggests that Lynch and Frost continue to be on good terms.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

baxter wrote: and everything suggests that Lynch and Frost continue to be on good terms.
Don't you think it is strange/suspicious to actively unfollow someone your supposed to be on good terms with?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

FWIW, Lynch still follows Frost :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:FWIW, Lynch still follows Frost :-)
My guess is still that Frost didn’t appreciate the coverage of him in Room to Dream, which goes back and forth between nonexistent and unflattering (not to mention Lynch continuing his own recent pattern of shitting on everyone else’s work on S2). Kristine McKenna said that Lynch didn’t exercise his option to censor/edit the “objective” chapters at all (including leaving in some unflattering stuff about his own behavior toward Mary Fisk and Isabella Rosellini), so it’s not necessarily his fault, but I could certainly see Mark being a little ticked off at how he and TP S2 were represented in an official Lynch release. I honestly was a little offended on his behalf while reading the book. If I’m right (and I hope I am), I doubt it would take more than an apology and a handshake to smooth things over and get the ball rolling on a S4.