Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by AgentEcho »

N. Needleman wrote: There is no evidence of this.
I was explicitly clear it was speculation. I'm not sure how much more explicit I can get without using all caps or something.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

This is called diving too deep into a POSSIBLE twitter unfollow rabbit hole.....lame
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Regarding Laura Dern shaving her head, a person on Reddit claimed that he heard from a reliable source that it was for a TV series. But take it with a grain of salt
Briggs93

Post by Briggs93 »

krishnanspace wrote:Regarding Laura Dern shaving her head, a person on Reddit claimed that he heard from a reliable source that it was for a TV series. But take it with a grain of salt
Can you post link to Reddit article?
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I'm callin' it: FAKE NEWS! :D
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I sincerely doubt that anyone beyond Dern and Lynch has any idea what the head-shaving project is.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

To be taken with a grain of salt for sure. Then again, I'd say it's not unlikely David Lynch might make a TV series, and that might not be Twin Peaks. He spoke of "the golden age of television" during the production of TPTR.

I think he likes the format. Given it comes without restraints that is.

Netflix. You fund the silliest series, give this man all he wants........
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Andromedeaux
Roadhouse Member

Post by Andromedeaux »

Soolsma wrote:
netflix will never produce anything of value. as long as their focus is on the numbers.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

It was actually a comment on some thread. I actually misinterpreted his sarcastic comment. Sorry guys false alarm
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Andromedeaux wrote:
Soolsma wrote:
netflix will never produce anything of value. as long as their focus is on the numbers.
Every business is focused on the numbers. Like most production companies/distributors, Netflix has produced some truly great artistically satisfying material, alongside lots of crap.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

They have the monetary capacity to take risks, which is good. Most investors will think twice before striking a deal with Lynch. Especially if it would involve complete creative freedom.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

And with, let's face it, pretty meager results of Season 3 - both critically and financially. I'd say the general response to the new series was one big "MEH". Hardcore fans are a different story, of course.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Agent Earle wrote:And with, let's face it, pretty meager results of Season 3 - both critically and financially. I'd say the general response to the new series was one big "MEH". Hardcore fans are a different story, of course.
Where did you get that idea? I'm not arguing with you because I don't actually have a sense of how it was received across the world, but I'm curious how you came to that conclusion.

I can tell you about my own personal reaction: I can't watch the majority of television shows. They're mostly just crap, and when compared to any season of Twin Peaks, they're basically unwatchable. They induce mental pain.

Loved:

The Prisoner
Lexx

Enjoyed:

Deadwood
Les Revenants (I've only seen the first season so far)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:And with, let's face it, pretty meager results of Season 3 - both critically and financially. I'd say the general response to the new series was one big "MEH". Hardcore fans are a different story, of course.
Where did you get that idea? I'm not arguing with you because I don't actually have a sense of how it was received across the world, but I'm curious how you came to that conclusion.

I can tell you about my own personal reaction: I can't watch the majority of television shows. They're mostly just crap, and when compared to any season of Twin Peaks, they're basically unwatchable. They induce mental pain.

Loved:

The Prisoner
Lexx

Enjoyed:

Deadwood
Les Revenants (I've only seen the first season so far)
Oh, don't worry, I haven't conducted a survey or collected any kind of empirical data. It's just a general gut impression I get when pouring over the Internet in search of what's being said about the show in the media, on various websites, fan forums, comments and message boards etc. I can very well be wrong and am simply stumbling upon opinions that are, on the average, just kind of indifferent towards the show. Plus the numbers regarding the viewership and subscriptions to Showtime network on account of S 3 weren't anything jaw-dropping, if my memory serves me correct. Again, official promotional sites, statements of people involved in the production and hardcore fandom sites are excluded - of course, they are gushing over it.

As to my reaction to other, non-TP TV shows, it couldn't be more different from yours: I've been catching up with a plethora of shows from the so-called golden age of television (post-1999) in recent years and have thoroughly enjoyed them, much more than the new TP (and I used to be a regular TP fanatic, the one who couldn't stand anything in TV-form for a couple of decades after the series went off the air in the early 90's). I downright loved: The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, Six Feet Under, Oz, Fargo, Deadwood, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire and, most recently, Game of Thrones (which I'm still watching and am currently on S 6). Looking forward to a number of things I heard were good and have run for a number of seasons or have already concluded (like Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, The Americans, Justified, Orange Is the New Black, House of Cards, Halt and Catch Fire, Masters of Sex, Black Mirror, Better Call Saul etc.). Can't wait!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Agent Earle wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Agent Earle wrote: Oh, don't worry, I haven't conducted a survey or collected any kind of empirical data. It's just a general gut impression I get when pouring over the Internet in search of what's being said about the show in the media, on various websites, fan forums, comments and message boards etc. I can very well be wrong and am simply stumbling upon opinions that are, on the average, just kind of indifferent towards the show. Plus the numbers regarding the viewership and subscriptions to Showtime network on account of S 3 weren't anything jaw-dropping, if my memory serves me correct. Again, official promotional sites, statements of people involved in the production and hardcore fandom sites are excluded - of course, they are gushing over it.

As to my reaction to other, non-TP TV shows, it couldn't be more different from yours: I've been catching up with a plethora of shows from the so-called golden age of television (post-1999) in recent years and have thoroughly enjoyed them, much more than the new TP (and I used to be a regular TP fanatic, the one who couldn't stand anything in TV-form for a couple of decades after the series went off the air in the early 90's). I downright loved: The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, Six Feet Under, Oz, Fargo, Deadwood, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire and, most recently, Game of Thrones (which I'm still watching and am currently on S 6). Looking forward to a number of things I heard were good and have run for a number of seasons or have already concluded (like Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, The Americans, Justified, Orange Is the New Black, House of Cards, Halt and Catch Fire, Masters of Sex, Black Mirror, Better Call Saul etc.). Can't wait!
You're watching some great stuff there, Earle! (As for Game of Thrones, you still have time to be disappointed, lol. You'll have to let me know what you think.)

But...while the numbers for Peaks weren't great, they apparently were good as far as streaming is concerned. Showtime has said as much, as far as you can trust that. According to most analysts, it did what it was supposed to do, which is to give Showtime a higher level of prestige and acclaim.

I don't care as much about the numbers, though, as they're becoming harder and harder to account for now that ratings don't matter in the typical sense since most people don't watch an episode as it airs. But your comment about its critical reception caught me off guard. I know you're not a fan of S3, but I figured that you weren't arguing that it was indeed massively critically acclaimed, which it certainly was. It's not a show for everyone, and it continues to divide the fanbase, but in the end only passion matters as that is what propels a film onto all-time lists, and the critical love was iffy only during the first few episodes and amongst a very minor number of holdouts (the Deadline critic and Hollywood Reporter critic and one other are the only all-out negative critics I can think of) - even Alan Sepinwall, arguably the most prominent TV critic, who liked the first few episodes was very much mixed if not driven completely mad on/by the show as it progressed as he kept trying to stuff it into the same box that nearly all other programs fit, but still ranked it as his 6th best show of the year, stating that its highs were higher than any other program. In my posts alone I've pointed out that The Return scored a healthy 94% on Rotten Tomatoes with most episodes scoring 100%, placed second on the metacritic tally/poll of year-end TV critics lists only behind The Leftovers S3 and placing number 1 on more critics lists than any other program, that the majority of film critics who talked about it loved it (it's a shame so few were tasked with reviewing it since it aired on TV, which means we still don't know what many critics even thought of it), that it was called the most groundbreaking TV show of all time by Rolling Stone after the finale aired, that it went as far as reigniting the most fiery Film vs. TV debate that still flares up whenever the show is mentioned when it became the first series to ever enter the venerable Sight and Sound Year-End Film Poll Top 20 where it placed #2 (even with some people purposefully not voting for it since they don't consider it a film and others not even aware it was eligible for inclusion on their ballots), and furthermore placed #1 on both Cahiers du Cinema and Cinema Scope year-end lists, and it is currently the highest rated "Film" on Letterboxd (a sort of "higher-brow" successor to IMDB), still garnering "best thing ever" raves on a daily basis from its users in a passionate way that I really haven't seen people respond to a work of art beyond the fanboy infatuation with a new comic book movie...but in this case it's not fans of Twin Peaks, but fans of cinema. So, its niche and like any extreme work of art has its detractors, but the critical acclaim from the key sources is obviously there from critics (the hardcore fans are actually the ones who are lukewarm or mixed) and in my opinion will only continue to grow over time.