Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by N. Needleman »

Jonah wrote:What is the most recent quote from Lynch? Wasn't there one that said "there is an ending"?
That was always misquoted. That answer was in response to a specific question about the ending of Season 3, not the show at large.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Jonah wrote:What is the most recent quote from Lynch? Wasn't there one that said "there is an ending"? And also one where he said "I can't talk about it now" (that might be older though)? Anything else, anything recent regarding S4?
FWIW, in July he did a Q/A for an art festival in Manchester. One of the questions was "What do you think is happening in the town of Twin Peaks right at this moment?"
After a long pause, he says: "It's a very troubling afternoon there." (Still talking about the "disturbances"?)
You can watch the video here:
https://twitter.com/MIFestival/status/1 ... 4919526401
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Whenever I visit the frontpage of dugpa.com on my phone (to eventually get to the forum) the main news story is Jennifer Lynch categorically denying that season 3 could be happening. What I think we should take from that is that it is not neccesarily that relevant what Kimmy knows at that point, the only two people whose answers we need consider is David Lynch and Mark Frost.

If a continuation wasn't a serious possibility it wouldn't make sense to make the fandom suffer indefinitely in terms of whether the story is now complete or not. What we do now is that Mark Frost has specially said that the cycle has not yet been completed and that there are those vague Lynch quotes(is there any other kind) about him listening to the signal from Carrie Page but that the signal was faint, and then that potential hands in the cookie jar moment about the troubling afternoon that Bob Wooler just re-shared. Also we know that Sabrina Sutherland was very vocal after the airing of season 3 that she'd like to do more. If we've somehow going from "potentially working on it" and back to "dead as a doornail" I'd appreciate them saying so.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

BGate wrote:
Jonah wrote:Will there be another season? is what he was asked. “I don’t think very likely, but never say never" was his answer. Why not just say "I hope so" or "we'll see" or "I don't know yet" .
What do you think the reaction would be here/twitter/etc if he said "We'll see"?
I mean, I still think "we'll see" is pretty vague and non-committal, but I guess some people could read it as there will be a Season 4. My point was, though, that he could be neutral about Season 4, say he doesn't know but he'd like to do it, without saying "unlikely". Saying "unlikely" doesn't seem like he's just saying that to dampen the rumours and surprise us later on. It sounds like he genuinely thinks it's unlikely. Which isn't great. Why even say that at all?
N. Needleman wrote:
Jonah wrote:What is the most recent quote from Lynch? Wasn't there one that said "there is an ending"?
That was always misquoted. That answer was in response to a specific question about the ending of Season 3, not the show at large.
Interesting.
bob_wooler wrote:
Jonah wrote:What is the most recent quote from Lynch? Wasn't there one that said "there is an ending"? And also one where he said "I can't talk about it now" (that might be older though)? Anything else, anything recent regarding S4?
FWIW, in July he did a Q/A for an art festival in Manchester. One of the questions was "What do you think is happening in the town of Twin Peaks right at this moment?"
After a long pause, he says: "It's a very troubling afternoon there." (Still talking about the "disturbances"?)
You can watch the video here:
https://twitter.com/MIFestival/status/1 ... 4919526401
That does sound like a reference to the writing being in progress. It could also refer to negotiations with Showtime. Or simply the final scene we saw (even though that was night). But probably the first thing.
eyeboogers wrote:Mark Frost has specially said that the cycle has not yet been completed
Now that's pretty cool. Do you have a link or any more detail on this one?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: That does sound like a reference to the writing being in progress. It could also refer to negotiations with Showtime. Or simply the final scene we saw (even though that was night). But probably the first thing.
I think you’re reading way too much into it. The interviewer asked a question and he answered vaguely. Given the town’s track record, it’s not particularly surprising that something troubling is happening.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jonah wrote: That does sound like a reference to the writing being in progress. It could also refer to negotiations with Showtime. Or simply the final scene we saw (even though that was night). But probably the first thing.
I think you’re reading way too much into it. The interviewer asked a question and he answered vaguely. Given the town’s track record, it’s not particularly surprising that something troubling is happening.
Was this the one where the couple walks up to the mic and asks the question in unison, after which Lynch looks bemused and is speechless for a moment? If so, I maintain that he was really only reacting to the dorky couple and the way they asked the question, and it has nothing to do with Twin Peaks at all.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Jasper wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Was this the one where the couple walks up to the mic and asks the question in unison, after which Lynch looks bemused and is speechless for a moment? If so, I maintain that he was really only reacting to the dorky couple and the way they asked the question, and it has nothing to do with Twin Peaks at all.
Yeah, that's the one.
It could be either way, really. Maybe it was an answer with nothing at all behind it, like you say, or maybe not. Who knows. I agree that you can't really draw any conclusions from that type of thing.
I'll see you in the trees
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Dorky :-) ?

We Peaksters resemble that remark!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
yogamble

Post by yogamble »

I'm really hoping for season for 4 and double hoping it's not to long of a wait. Just lurking and seeing the hype has been fun. Here's to hoping we aren't all setting ourselves up for a let down. I've been fascinated with the Chet Desmond disappearance since seeing FWWM in the theaters in the 90's ( a few times :D ) so I'm hoping there will be resolution to that part of the story should the show come back in some form. FWWM has always been a favorite film of mine. So much awesome in that lil jem.
Anywho...long time lurker here and don't post a lot but I am jazzed for the possibility of new material. I've also find myself watching lot's of youtube vids as of late dissecting TP. What can I say I'm a fanboy. Lets rock!
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I really, really love that first chapter of FWWM. Having Chet Desmond in a S4 would be incredible.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

baxter wrote:I really, really love that first chapter of FWWM. Having Chet Desmond in a S4 would be incredible.
Same here. The deer meadow storyline was very mysterious. I would love that feel to be there in season 4
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Same. I love the whole movie, but that's honestly my favorite part.
I'll see you in the trees
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

Bringing back Chet Desmond and resolving that mystery would be great. Bring back Sam Stanley while they're at it.

So with the Season 4 rumors, so far it seems like there's been a whole lot of trying to over-analyze social media posts, other that the Horror Museum tweets which very directly suggested there is something happening which fans would be excited about, and claim they wouldn't stake their credibility on a false rumor. Pretty sure they wouldn't say anything like that over a VR video game, considering almost no one actually plays VR video games nor has the hardware to do it. But it's still not much.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

ManBehindWinkies wrote:
So with the Season 4 rumors, so far it seems like there's been a whole lot of trying to over-analyze social media posts, other that the Horror Museum tweets which very directly suggested there is something happening which fans would be excited about, and claim they wouldn't stake their credibility on a false rumor. Pretty sure they wouldn't say anything like that over a VR video game, considering almost no one actually plays VR video games nor has the hardware to do it. But it's still not much.
It's nothing, to be exact.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

A TP cookbook would've been less disapointing than a VR game.