Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Metamorphia »

Jonah wrote:I wonder why he doesn't think it's very likely? Not even in regards to the recent rumours, but I mean more Twin Peaks (season or movie) at some stage.

Is it because of Showtime and ratings? Then the project could be taken elsewhere - CBS, Netflix, etc.

The franchise is popular. S3 may not have had major ratings, but they had decent enough when streaming was taken into account. There's tons of boxsets released and forthcoming, soundtracks. It was critically acclaimed. So it's a very popular IP all in all.

Is it because Lynch is getting older? He's 73. His father lived to 92. He could still be in good health and live for many years.

A lot of the other cast is getting older, but Kyle is still only 60, Sheryl Lee is only 52. Many of the others are still relatively young.

Is it because Lynch and Frost don't want to do more? But they've both indicated they do. Frost had a lot of comments about it possibly leading to more after S3. Lynch has been a bit more ambiguous granted, fluctuating between saying that was the ending (end of S3) and that there's more to tell. But he did say more Carrie Page was calling to him and if there's another one, it could be 4 years (from the end of S3).

None of this makes it seem to me that more TP (at some stage) is unlikely. So I wonder why Kyle (and others) are saying this? It's not like we're back in the day where ABC cancelled the show and there was critical backlash to FWWM. The show is more popular and respected critically than ever, the creators have indicated there could be more stories to tell, etc.
I doubt it has much if anything to do with ratings. I know Lynch had his qualms with the production schedule but you'd think by all accounts Showtime would be game for more, especially if it was a limited 9 episode run like originally intended. The simplest explanation is just that Lynch and Frost haven't found a good enough story idea to return to Twin Peaks. To come back from S3's ending (which really is an ending, love it or hate it) you need a really good, fully-formed idea and I guess they either haven't found it or haven't thought about it yet.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I have a feeling Lynch might have enough story in his mind regarding Carrie Page, maybe for another movie. But maybe not for a TV series. This is all just conjecture though. I just don't know why the actors would say it's unlikely - or why they would say that publicly. Wouldn't it be better just to say "I don't know, but I'd do it if they write more"?

Also, I wonder what's the chances Lynch would ever release his hold on the reigns a little? Would he do a movie about Carrie Page/Laura, then direct a couple of episodes of a new series but let a small team of writers/directors take over then, maybe overseen by Frost and others? Would Frost also be willing to do the same? I know they feel they lost control last time with ABC, but I'm sure Showtime would be up for a new show, and I don't see why Frost/Lynch wouldn't if they could direct it but not necessarily have to write/direct every minute of it, just oversee it and step in whenever they wanted to write/direct an episode, but otherwise let another team work for/with them and rake in the dough? Assuming Showtime wants something like that (and I imagine they must).
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Agent Earle wrote:That's the second time since S3 has aired that MacLachlan's come out and expressed his explicit doubts with regards to any possible continuation(s) of the show (can't find the interview in which he stated that firstly, but I distinctly remember it). So I think the writing's on the wall here. Meanwhile, let's all head to the HHM Tweeter page to catch a pic of teenage Lynch lurking around on the Psycho set...
Here it is:

The Oregonian
February 5, 2018
http://www.oregonlive.com/tv/2018/02/ky ... mayor.html

“I don’t think so,” MacLachlan says of the prospect of more “Twin Peaks.”

“I kind of take the line of ‘never say never,’” he adds, and if Lynch and Frost get an idea they want to explore, it “could happen.”

But MacLachlan says, “I’m doubtful” that there will be more “Twin Peaks.”

“I would say, probably not.”
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Yeah, that's it. Thanks, Jasper!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Lynch and/or Frost must have said something to him to make him think it's "doubtful" and "unlikely" and for him to say probably not. Those are pretty strong statements for a show that was released to great critical acclaim and still likely has stories left.

I just still don't understand why Kyle would say it's unlikely or the other things when he could simply say "I don't know". Also, he did make some other comments that were more positive and I know there was a tweet that was quite positive too. So I don't know what to think at this point.

Nevertheless, something interesting quotes in this thread for those who don't know about it (I didn't): viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4033&start=15
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

It's going to be the VR game isn't it.

Sigh.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

sneakydave wrote:It's going to be the VR game isn't it.

Sigh.
I’m still hopeful for another season, just not hopeful that the Horror Museum guys have any good nside info in that regards.

Who knows, maybe it was a trial balloon thrown out by the powers that be...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

mtwentz wrote:
sneakydave wrote:It's going to be the VR game isn't it.

Sigh.
I’m still hopeful for another season, just not hopeful that the Horror Museum guys have any good nside info in that regards.

Who knows, maybe it was a trial balloon thrown out by the powers that be...
I hope you are correct but my positivity is starting to dissipate.

The only thing I'm clinging onto is that Kyle either doesn't know yet (and I find that hard to believe) or he is running scared of his NDA and won't say anything overly positive.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

LOL Kyle isn't saying anything he didn't say a year ago, but yall keep pretending it's new and breaking information.
Last edited by N. Needleman on Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

Maybe he could do a stand-alone movie explaining the significance of the story of the little girl who lived down the lane.

If he did another season, I’m sure it would be about Richard and Carrie finding Judy and defeating her.
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

Because of their non-disclosure agreements, you aren't likely to get ANY useful information on "Season 4" from the cast. Especially Kyle. He tweets something Twin Peaks-related almost every day and has for years.

But now if he does it, it's a "hint".
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I don't take Kyle's statement seriously either. It's a non-committal answer. Everyone has their own way of framing such an answer, and he has given it multiple times. It's just his version of "no comment".
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

But isn't saying that it's "unlikely" taking it a step further than a non-committal or unsure answer? Why even put that out there in the first place?

Meanwhile -

I know Mark Frost posts all sorts of random stuff on his twitter, but lately he seems to be posting a lot of owls. Are there owls at the roadhouse?
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Nah, not to me. It's designed to remove follow up questions.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

baxter wrote:Nah, not to me. It's designed to remove follow up questions.
Hmmm. Didn't think of it that way.