Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by krishnanspace »

Positive Quote from Mark Frost..
https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksArchve/sta ... 3701953538

BTW Jerry where is this quote from?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

krishnanspace wrote:Positive Quote from Mark Frost..

viewtopic.php?f=22&p=122632#p122632
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Poltergeist27

Post by Poltergeist27 »

Frost was interviewed last night by the Midnight in the Desert radio show. When asked whether there was more Peaks coming, he said they don’t tip their hand about the show and won’t do it here, but we have to wait and see what happens and what the passage of time brings. He did stammer a bit when responding. Read into that what you will. He also referenced the long gestation period of The Return, and said it’s been a pretty good policy to never say never.

Incidentally, later on in the broadcast Scott Ryan from Blue Rose magazine was interviews and indicated that Twin Peaks VR is going to be presented at the 30th fan celebration and that an announcement would be made today. He seemed to indicate this was what was coming down the pike a few months ago in terms of the rumors but didn’t that Horror Museum Twitter Account already debunk VR as the thing coming in 2020? I thought the VR already got released although Ryan said the thing at Graceland has Lynch’s involvement.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

NormoftheAndes wrote:Lord have mercy. I was hoping to see more discussion regarding the Frost book and his comments as mentioned earlier but people are still posting here about the Oscars.
Not much to discuss until we can read the book ourselves.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

krishnanspace wrote:Positive Quote from Mark Frost..

The most notable thing about it is the length of Frost's response. The "wait and see" and "never say never" parts are stock answers that Frost, Lynch and MacLachlan have been giving since season 3 was announced.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Now this is more like it!
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

This is just blind speculation on my part, but I wonder if the all the CBS/Viacom merger stuff would potentially be hindering any talks with Lynch/Frost over a new season.

The fact that Showtime canceled Ray Donovan seems to not bode well for the chances of a Season 4, I think. Also, the reports of cost cutting and layoffs across the CBS/Viacom properties makes it sound like Lynch would have a harder time getting his budget approved this time around.

I really don't follow this aspect of the business, but would there be anything stopping Lynch/Frost from shipping a new season around to other networks/services? I want to read "What Did Jack Do?" as him testing the waters with Netflix, or perhaps even showing Showtime that he can take his work elsewhere, but I don't really know. It would be really disheartening to think that Lynch and Frost have written new material that's never filmed due to corporate hubris.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Interesting. I hadn't even considered the possibility that they want to do it, have it ready to go, but are struggling in talks.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

What Did Jack Do? was a short Lynch was planning even before TP:TR, and which he first released in 2017 at the Fondation Cartier pour l’Art Contemporain. There’s definitely nothing to be read into it dropping on Netflix in 2020 (on Lynch’s birthday!), other than a little treat for fans. I honestly found it weird that he hadn’t released it way sooner online.
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

Cappy wrote:This is just blind speculation on my part, but I wonder if the all the CBS/Viacom merger stuff would potentially be hindering any talks with Lynch/Frost over a new season.

The fact that Showtime canceled Ray Donovan seems to not bode well for the chances of a Season 4, I think. Also, the reports of cost cutting and layoffs across the CBS/Viacom properties makes it sound like Lynch would have a harder time getting his budget approved this time around.
Yeah, but there's also the news of Viacom/CBS merging all of its streaming services (including Showtime) under one roof that actually could bode well for a continuation of Twin Peaks. While the linear ratings for The Return weren't spectacular, the streaming performance was frequently cited as record-setting. As Viacom looks for unique content that can help their platform stand out in this streaming landscape, I can't imagine they'll ignore that.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

It's difficult not being hopeful when you hear this though:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1227652057894719488
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

bob_wooler wrote:It's difficult not being hopeful when you hear this though:
Hearing this for myself, it kind of sounds less that he's keeping anything secret, and more that it's an honest, snap re-appraisal of the franchise as it stands. And he's saying something I only recently wrapped my head around, which is how much material there is as a whole once everything was (for now) said and done. It's sort of why I have a hard time understanding the desperate need for more, because I think it's not yet appreciated how wide the mythology had been made. His two recent books opened a big net for everything else to fall inside, and gave significance that wasn't previously there to the previous expanded material. Even the Access Guide became slotted into the whole split-timelines consideration, but that's such a minor footnote for most fans. Contrary to popular belief, Frost did in fact revisit the material and took care to de-canonize and re-canonize things between the lines, and it's evident he took a look even at the books. The sheer scope of it was not evident to me at the time, when I was furiously re-reading old stuff, new stuff, watching and rewatching. I mean, consider Mr. Reindeer's timeline doc, which I've used for reference before--it fully reflects the content in terms of happenings, and it's huge! Now that it's over and I look back, it's just like Frost says--if there isn't more, there's still so much to re-appraise.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

He's clearly keeping something to himself. Yeah, there's plenty of Twin Peaks in existence but the desire for a continuing story is something Frost understands only too well.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

AXX°N N. wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:It's difficult not being hopeful when you hear this though:
Hearing this for myself, it kind of sounds less that he's keeping anything secret, and more that it's an honest, snap re-appraisal of the franchise as it stands.
To me, it's definitely both.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I also hear both.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.