Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Phillip Jeffries_40 »

krishnanspace wrote:One Season 4 for me too! Tv is become an idiot box again since The Return. Need to get some dose of Twin Peaks again
Do you Believe that we will have news this year?
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I guess we may have some news regarding the Laura Dern project. If it turns out not to be Twin Peaks, then I dont think we may get any news this year
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

krishnanspace wrote:I guess we may have some news regarding the Laura Dern project. If it turns out not to be Twin Peaks, then I dont think we may get any news this year
I Am sure of that the Laura Dern project IS NOT about Twin Peaks. Said this, for me it is a bye bye Twin Peaks , first by Kyle Mc Lachlan and his new series and now this new Laura Dern project. Very Bad news this two things.
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

zeronumber wrote:I submit that any further would need to include Agent Chester Desmond.... ( or somesuch Blue Rose follow though)
...Crucial~...

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
100% this. I would love a while side story with Chet Desmond. You could tie some stuff together with season 3 and tell something new at the same time!
-23-
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Phillip Jeffries_40 wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:I guess we may have some news regarding the Laura Dern project. If it turns out not to be Twin Peaks, then I dont think we may get any news this year
I Am sure of that the Laura Dern project IS NOT about Twin Peaks. Said this, for me it is a bye bye Twin Peaks , first by Kyle Mc Lachlan and his new series and now this new Laura Dern project. Very Bad news this two things.
And I was 100 pct sure Twin Peaks would not come back after 25 years...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:
Today has been a dark day indeed. But yeah... lets hope for the best
I noticed one thing today, Mark Frost is no longer following David Lynch on Twitter. I remember him following Lynch. Weird. Hope nothing is bad between them
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

krishnanspace wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
I noticed one thing today, Mark Frost is no longer following David Lynch on Twitter. I remember him following Lynch. Weird. Hope nothing is bad between them
Hm. If this means anything, it could be news both good and bad.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I’m not gonna read too much into it, but this is a trifle concerning, especially since the two used Twitter as a means of announcing the last season. Mark would have had to actively unfollow Lynch, and I can’t imagine why he would have...it’s not like Lynch is someone who tweets excessively and would clog up his feed. Mark was still speaking highly of Lynch and his directing on the show months after the series wrapped. I hate to think it was over something as petty as a certain much-publicized political comment by Lynch awhile back, but I’m at a loss why else he would unfollow (maybe he really hates the Festival of Disruption?).
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

mtwentz wrote:
Do you believe that the Laura Dern Project is about twin Peaks?
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

bob_wooler wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Why could be good news?
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

bob_wooler wrote:
krishnanspace wrote: Today has been a dark day indeed. But yeah... lets hope for the best
Why could be good news?
If Lynch and Frost had a fall out over a 4th season. That would probably mean we're at least getting a new season :mrgreen:
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I am not that surprised that Frost unfollowed Lynch on Twitter. These two people are so different, always have been, and I can't think of two people more unsuited to be pals. Not to say they don't respect each other, and don't share great memories, but it just doesn't seem like they're even close to being two peas in a pod. At all. I think, especially since the 90s, Twin Peaks is the connection, and that's that.

Mark Frost has certainly been more effusively praising of Lynch in interviews, and highlighting his unique contributions, whereas Lynch (and Sabrina Sutherland especially) have really gone out of their ways to specify that the new season is DAVID's vision. That Frost was there to write the shooting scripts with Lynch but then that "David did so much rewriting after that, those were just the blueprints, David put in so many things from throughout his career after Mark went off to write his books...." You don't go out of your way to emphasize that (on a project that says Written by Mark Frost & David Lynch) unless you want to deliberately put considerable distance there.

I really feel that Lynch always hated, hated the idea that Frost would publish a Twin Peaks book (two!) on the heels of the Return. Lynch may have officially "given his blessing" but I think the moment Frost went off to do those books, Lynch started seething, and Frost was kinda "dead to Lynch" as a creative collaborator, forevermore. Lynch's public statements that those books "are all Mark Frost, and I don't even want to read them, etc." doesn't leave much room for disputing that. I think Lynch hated that Frost was doing this other TP stuff (some of which Lynch surely assumed would contain Frost ideas he vetoed for The Return) and he mostly gave him the silent treatment from then on. Frost was present for some of the filming so it's not as if he was banned from the set or anything dramatic, but everything since filming began has seemed cool or non-existent between them.

And finally, if you've read Lynch's Room To Dream, there's not much of any mention of Mark Frost at all. There are, however, quotes from one or two people publicly stating that Mark's own ego got in the way of Twin Peaks and that's what caused it to go sour. That he was jealous of Lynch getting attention, etc. And when The Return began, Lynch publicly complained that he hated ALL of Season 2. You probably noticed that Harley Peyton (a good friend of Mark Frost) publicly called Lynch out on Twitter for his "revisionist history" of how Lynch discusses the goings-on in the Twin Peaks production. Also worth noting that Frost was quoted (but BARELY quoted) in Room To Dream. One would suspect he probably provided a different recollection of how things went on the original Twin Peaks series and it should come as no surprise to us that no quotes like that actually made it into Lynch's book.

Put all these things together.... I just don't see any more collaborations between Lynch and Frost. I doubt we're getting any more Twin Peaks story but I think the only way it happens is if Lynch writes it alone. And I suspect if he wants to, he's going to have Sabrina Sutherland email Mark Frost as a courtesy to say "Just so you know, David is writing new Twin Peaks, but he wants this to be his own vision this time." Cold right? But I think that's kinda where things are at.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Well, if Lynch is upset that Frost wrote a couple of books, that would be petty. That's just the way it's always been with Twin Peaks (and a lot of other properties). There's a lot of tie-in material.

But I'm not convinced that Lynch is that upset about the books. Jennifer Lynch has gone on record to say her father never read the Secret Diary. If he won't read his own daughter's book, why would he read Frost's? Or anyone else's?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

That's a lot of extrapolation from very little information. Mark was out there praising the finale and doing an AMA.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Twitter.....is not the real world. Maybe he never followed Lynch and more importantly who cares who follows who?

IMO not that it matters at all but I don't think Frost and Lynch were ever super close, Lynch is busy making art, he doesn't want Frost's writing to influence Lynch's vision. Lynch doesn't have time to read Frost's boring books.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.