Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by NormoftheAndes »

I hear both too.

Frost continuing his answer with talking about the 50 hours of Twin Peaks there are now is him being positive and a natural progression of the answer - a good way of speaking about the show without confirming that they would definitely like to continue the story.

However, him talking so positively about the show's past does seem like he is acknowledging that there is a lot to draw from - the well is deep. I felt he was speaking out loud, creatively.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
OneandtheSame

Post by OneandtheSame »

“Incidentally, later on in the broadcast Scott Ryan from Blue Rose magazine was interviews and indicated that Twin Peaks VR is going to be presented at the 30th fan celebration and that an announcement would be made today. He seemed to indicate this was what was coming down the pike a few months ago in terms of the rumors but didn’t that Horror Museum Twitter Account already debunk VR as the thing coming in 2020? I thought the VR already got released although Ryan said the thing at Graceland has Lynch’s involvement.”

Yeah, VR Has been released since December 2019.
TimeFlashes

Post by TimeFlashes »

Frost has always seemed willing to explore the possibility of a new season to me. I have always felt that whether there will be a Season 4 is purely Lynch's decision. He said he had some interest but didn't see things clearly, so we won't know until either they announce it or Lynch retires.
Always a face to remind me.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Lynch retiring seems like a strange idea. I imagine him still doodling, crafting or even putting out a weather forecast until the very last moments on his deathbed.
TimeFlashes wrote:Frost has always seemed willing to explore the possibility of a new season to me. I have always felt that whether there will be a Season 4 is purely Lynch's decision.
I feel like Frost is the type who can have a steady supply of output if he puts his mind to it, whereas Lynch has to catch the right fish at the right time for things to work. Rightfully, I believe they share ownership to the IP, so both have to give their stamp for something to be put out. I could believe that in practice, ultimately Lynch has the upper hand. But I disagree on it being purely Lynch's decision
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Lynch is an artist first, and a human being second. “Retirement” is not in the cards. As long as he lives, he will be creating.
TimeFlashes

Post by TimeFlashes »

Yeah, I know. But people get sick, unfortunately.
Always a face to remind me.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

TimeFlashes wrote:Yeah, I know. But people get sick, unfortunately.
Matisse_paper.jpg
Matisse_paper.jpg (104.38 KiB) Viewed 9910 times
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Jasper wrote:Matisse_paper.jpg
Yup! James Joyce got so frail he had a hired at-hand transcriber at his bedside, and for certain things he felt he had to write himself, used bright crayons on large pieces of paperboard because his vision was so poor. Kafka was writing a piece as he was dying of pneumonia about a character being unable to swallow and slowly dying of starvation and thirst. Plenty of examples!
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

dkenny78 wrote:
Cappy wrote:This is just blind speculation on my part, but I wonder if the all the CBS/Viacom merger stuff would potentially be hindering any talks with Lynch/Frost over a new season.

The fact that Showtime canceled Ray Donovan seems to not bode well for the chances of a Season 4, I think. Also, the reports of cost cutting and layoffs across the CBS/Viacom properties makes it sound like Lynch would have a harder time getting his budget approved this time around.
Yeah, but there's also the news of Viacom/CBS merging all of its streaming services (including Showtime) under one roof that actually could bode well for a continuation of Twin Peaks. While the linear ratings for The Return weren't spectacular, the streaming performance was frequently cited as record-setting. As Viacom looks for unique content that can help their platform stand out in this streaming landscape, I can't imagine they'll ignore that.
This is the key.

There's still no guarantee they'll want Twin Peaks for this, but CBS' new streaming service needs marquee content *badly* after the weak performance of CBS All Access. With David and Mark still leaving the door open, it wouldn't surprise me at all if CBS/Showtime greenlit season 4 to add to the allure of the new platform. Fingers crossed in the meantime...
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

It's likely all gonna come down to Lynch and Frost agreeing on an idea to move forward. They had been discussing Season 3 for a year before they could agree on a framework to look forward. Only the inner circle knows how close or far they are to that point with Season 4.
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

FauxOwl wrote:It's likely all gonna come down to Lynch and Frost agreeing on an idea to move forward. They had been discussing Season 3 for a year before they could agree on a framework to look forward. Only the inner circle knows how close or far they are to that point with Season 4.
You mean the inner circle that seemingly can't stop hinting at more Twin Peaks in the future? :D
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

Troubbble wrote:
FauxOwl wrote:It's likely all gonna come down to Lynch and Frost agreeing on an idea to move forward. They had been discussing Season 3 for a year before they could agree on a framework to look forward. Only the inner circle knows how close or far they are to that point with Season 4.
You mean the inner circle that seemingly can't stop hinting at more Twin Peaks in the future? :D
Example? I'd consider the inner circle Lynch and Frost, maybe a handful of very close confidants to those two, maybe Kyle, maybe David Nevins.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

That puts HHM in the inner circle.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

Because Jennifer Lynch was once a board member? That's a stretch.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

No. But they (claim to) know something. So my point is that more than just the inner circle knows by now.