Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by krishnanspace »

Kyle gave me a funny reply when asked about his hair. :)
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

sneakydave wrote:Would he do Ronnie Rocket now do you think? Given that he script has been out there for so long and certain elements seem to have been incorporated into The Return?
He used to say the lack of factory landscapes made it impossible, but the extent to which The Return dived into CGI makes me think he would be open to doing something with heavy digital manipulation. Of course creating an entire Eraserhead world on green screen might be pretty expensive tho.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

krishnanspace wrote:Image

Kyle gave me a funny reply when asked about his hair. :)
As someone who’s been graying since my late teens, I appreciate that response!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

To be honest, I think any form of new TP content in 2021 is not a completely unrealistic option, making an official announcement some time this year a probability (albeit not with regards to any of the "important dates" nonsense fans seem determined to pin on Lynch & Frost, despite them not having any kind of history with acting according to dates, numerology etc. - outside of their story's contents, that is). That would click with Lynch's old statements - from 2017, I think - about the approximate time frame in which to expect more TP: he said we'd probably not see it before the passage of 4 years, and we're now nearing, what?, the third anniversary of The Return's premiere? If this is the case, I suspect a lot (if not all) of the writing is done by now, and it's not like they have to start the production from scratch either, like it was the case with the 2017 series - the cast is still here (well, most of them, anyway) and seems willing enough, the props are here, the locations still relatively untouched by the passage of time etc.; hence, an announcement and commencement of filming this year, with the end of the next one in sight for the premiere.

However - and I have to say this even if it makes me a downer - I feel it "in the water" this continuation business is, for all intents and purposes, just fandom's collective pipe dream, with Lynch's present state being the largest hurdle for any kind of new production - he just comes across as too old and frail to embark on this kind of endeavour to me at this point, and I guess "continuing TP" is not where his mind is at at the moment, like, at all. Clint Eastwood he's definitely not, or even Martin Scorsese (who's much younger than Clint and is about Lynch's age).
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I don’t know about “old and frail.” Whether you liked it or not, TP:TR was undeniably a Herculean endeavor that would have been impossible for many younger filmmakers. Sure, he’s not churning out films, but I think that’s more due to a combination of lack of funding, lack of ideas he’s passionate about, and a concentration on other artistic endeavors in other media. I don’t see any evidence of any physical issues.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I don’t know about “old and frail.” Whether you liked it or not, TP:TR was undeniably a Herculean endeavor that would have been impossible for many younger filmmakers. Sure, he’s not churning out films, but I think that’s more due to a combination of lack of funding, lack of ideas he’s passionate about, and a concentration on other artistic endeavors in other media. I don’t see any evidence of any physical issues.
The filming of The Return was almost five years ago (yeah, shocking, but there it is), the writing of it way before that. I've seen Lynch's recent photos/videos (from the last year) and he looks much more out of shape than he did when The Return was being made.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Agent Earle wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I don’t know about “old and frail.” Whether you liked it or not, TP:TR was undeniably a Herculean endeavor that would have been impossible for many younger filmmakers. Sure, he’s not churning out films, but I think that’s more due to a combination of lack of funding, lack of ideas he’s passionate about, and a concentration on other artistic endeavors in other media. I don’t see any evidence of any physical issues.
The filming of The Return was almost five years ago (yeah, shocking, but there it is), the writing of it way before that. I've seen Lynch's recent photos/videos (from the last year) and he looks much more out of shape than he did when The Return was being made.
I don’t think anyone can really pass judgment on someone’s physical wellbeing based on photos. And being out of shape doesn’t really bear on his ability to direct...it’s not like he’s a bodybuilder. For the most part, the director sits in a chair and gives orders. All he needs is the energy to go the distance, to handle the long hours and stress of shooting. No one can say if he still has that or not, but I see no reason to assume he doesn’t if he were so inclined.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

He doesn't seem frail to me in the slightest.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Agent Earle wrote:The filming of The Return was almost five years ago (yeah, shocking, but there it is), the writing of it way before that. I've seen Lynch's recent photos/videos (from the last year) and he looks much more out of shape than he did when The Return was being made.
I don't see it but if it truly were the case, it would be entirely due to having read through the disappointed thread.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:The filming of The Return was almost five years ago (yeah, shocking, but there it is), the writing of it way before that. I've seen Lynch's recent photos/videos (from the last year) and he looks much more out of shape than he did when The Return was being made.
I don't see it but if it truly were the case, it would be entirely due to having read through the disappointed thread.
I can't say for sure either way, so I'm choosing to go with the interpretation you haven't just made a personal accusation directed towards me but took the opportunity for some welcome comic relief. Hey, I've always been a fan of black humour, so kudos to you! :D
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Agent Earle - please provide photo evidence of your claims. Lynch has not looked exactly healthy now for about 15 years or more anyway.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

NormoftheAndes wrote:Agent Earle - please provide photo evidence of your claims. Lynch has not looked exactly healthy now for about 15 years or more anyway.
Speculating on one's health from photo ops is a bit .. skeevy. But, he definitely lost a lot of weight in his face over the past couple years (seems to be mostly the past year or so though). Whether that's a health issue, which noticeable weight loss can be, a diet, more exercise, who the hell knows. He could be healthy as a horse, I'm not a doctor. But, just for sake of people asking why people seem to think he looks frail. Here's hoping he lives past 100.

https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/wp-conte ... s-2019.jpg

and

https://imgix.bustle.com/uploads/getty/ ... ormat&q=70

vs

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/twi ... 0823012019
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The guy is 74. The face shrinks and sags with age. I’m not seeing weight loss there so much as natural aging. But again, none of us are doctors, and in any event, no doctor would diagnose him off of photos. No offense to Agent Earle, who I know did not have any bad intentions, but there’s something ghoulish about this line of conversation. Can we move on?
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Rudagger wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:Agent Earle - please provide photo evidence of your claims. Lynch has not looked exactly healthy now for about 15 years or more anyway.
Speculating on one's health from photo ops is a bit .. skeevy. But, he definitely lost a lot of weight in his face over the past couple years (seems to be mostly the past year or so though). Whether that's a health issue, which noticeable weight loss can be, a diet, more exercise, who the hell knows. He could be healthy as a horse, I'm not a doctor. But, just for sake of people asking why people seem to think he looks frail. Here's hoping he lives past 100.

https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/wp-conte ... s-2019.jpg

and

https://imgix.bustle.com/uploads/getty/ ... ormat&q=70

vs

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/twi ... 0823012019
Thanks, Rudagger, that's what I had in mind. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, anyway, I mean I obviously don't have his medical chart, but I can't shake the feeling the man's not well (for instance, the already mentioned Clint Eastwood, who's some 15 years older than Lynch, looks way more sprightly than Lynch). And for the record, I wish that we'll still be having this conversation 20 years from now (not in the ghoulish sense by any means :) ). And now I'm moving on.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Even Richard Donner who is 90 years old is directing Lethal Weapon 5