Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by eyeboogers »

stro wrote:Every single Showtime show gets run into the ground, then a few feet under. There's nothing "prestige" about Showtime and never has been. The Return landing on Showtime almost assuredly had more to do with CBS owning the rights to TP and Showtime being owned by CBS than anything else. If The Return came out now instead, it'd be on CBS All Access and not Showtime.
I understand your reasoning, but it isn't correct. At the time Showtime had a new - sadly short lived - programming strategy in which they wanted to compete creatively with f.ex. HBO. They wanted to achieve this by working with established and celebrated auteurs. Cameron Crowe's "Roadies", a "spiritual sequel" to "Almost Famous"" came out first, and failed to achieve both high viewership and critical acclaim (it had its moments though). "Twin Peaks" was supposed to follow on the heals of that, but as we know it got delayed a full year, and that big auteur push never really materialized for Showtime. We can certainly agree that Showtime went back to producing semi-trash in recent years. They have now lost one of their last awards contenders "Homeland", which went out with a whimper. If I was running Showtime at this point in time I would consider myself blessed if I had new Twin Peaks about to be released.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I (as a freelancer, I've never been staff at Showtime) worked on the promos for Roadies. Oof.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Wanted to thank those that recommended The Third Day. I really enjoyed it and thought the finale was very good tonight. Lots of layers to peel back like The Return. Will definitely do a rewatch. I’ve only seen some of Jude Law’s work, but this is definitely one of his best performances.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

By Golly, dear Hester, there is a thread. And you are most welcome.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Soolsma wrote:By Golly, dear Hester, there is a thread. And you are most welcome.
LOL - missed that somehow. Thank you! Will definitely check it out!
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

I was getting the feeling anything new from David Lynch would be landing on Netflix. I think he tested the waters with Netflix on What Did Jack Do?, and was ready to commit his next big project to them.

In March of 2020, there were a few articles about Lynch having additional meetings at Netflix, along with Laura Dern and Naomi Watts. They were getting ready to announce something, or at least laying the foundation for an announcement.

About a year prior, in May of 2019, Laura Dern told the press that Lynch wanted her to shave her head for their next project together. To me, that made it seem likely she would be playing Diane again, this time without that red wig.

I still believe Lynch had been working on Twin Peaks this entire time. I hope I’m right!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Maybe she shaves her head to become Judy. The final cliffhanger of S4 being Diane laughing frantically, squeezing toothpaste to see experiment in the mirror. I mean, structurally, it makes a whole lot of sense. BOB went from Leland to Coop, so she'll probably want Diane as well. It would give strength to the symmetric duality of the two Peaks.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Anyone see this yet?

Untitled David Lynch Project (w/t Wisteria) shooting for Netflix soon.

https://www.productionweekly.com/
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Just saw it. What's the sources for this?
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

I saw it on Reddit. Production Weekly is definitely legitimate though, so something IS happening. I sure hope it’s Twin Peaks!
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Production set in London? If that's correct it's probably not Twin Peaks.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Nice! I’m glad he’s been using this downtime to write, seemingly! Very excited to see what he’s up to. It’s strange how with the Covid spike it almost feels like we’re back to where we were in March (which was always what the experts said would happen in fall/winter), yet with a vaccine seemingly on the way, there’s the hope that production (and the rest of the world) can hopefully move forward by May.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

bob_wooler wrote:Production set in London? If that's correct it's probably not Twin Peaks.
No idea. Could be they chose studios in Britain because of COVID.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »