Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

The strongest indication yet, methinks.

Also, I had mushrooms for breakfast, so clearly something is afoot.
Attachments
tweet.png
tweet.png (660.86 KiB) Viewed 7095 times
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

boske wrote:Au contraire. In a hypothetical scenario where something was being worked on, it is more likely that people who are about to compose the musical score would need to be brought in much earlier. I do find the photo intriguing nonetheless. :mrgreen:
I don't think this is necessarily the case. Music is usually handled in post, whether it be creating an original score or laying in pre-existing music. What The Chromatics did was a bit different since they performed on screen, but there's no reason they'd be in the loop sooner than actors.
mickeyfickey
Roadhouse Member

Post by mickeyfickey »

ManBehindWinkies wrote:
boske wrote:Au contraire. In a hypothetical scenario where something was being worked on, it is more likely that people who are about to compose the musical score would need to be brought in much earlier. I do find the photo intriguing nonetheless. :mrgreen:
I don't think this is necessarily the case. Music is usually handled in post, whether it be creating an original score or laying in pre-existing music. What The Chromatics did was a bit different since they performed on screen, but there's no reason they'd be in the loop sooner than actors.
Disagree. If there was some sort of a teaser/promo cut using their music, it would definitely be possible.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

In general, it could work either way, based on how historically TP music had been conceived. DKL did mention that he had wanted Angelo to come up with a genuinely sad song for the dinner scene in the Return, and that resulted in the Heartbreaking piece (too bad its up-tempo version was not included on the soundtrack), where the actor playing the piano had no score to follow but just pretended there was one. So, you would need a script for that, but one could start working on music way before the scenes were shot or actors were picked for it.

Back to the Instagram post: if it is legit and not composited in a photo-editor, it could mean something, as there is the mix of both Red and Blue shades, and obviously the Ring. Unless it is a promo for the Shadow video. However, Google image search only finds it on Facebook, on the official page for the band, and not on any site and not earlier in time. And it is not available there anymore. I do not have a FB account so I cannot verify it. Either way, it is weird, but at least we're having some fun. :-)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

All this talk of music makes me wonder again why there was so little music, particularly in the Twin Peaks scenes, in The Return. Did we ever find out why Lynch made this stylistic choice?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Jonah wrote:All this talk of music makes me wonder again why there was so little music, particularly in the Twin Peaks scenes, in The Return. Did we ever find out why Lynch made this stylistic choice?
Maybe Lynch smoking a cig in the "brand new" behind-the-scenes special features they've got cookin' for the "brand new" boxset will direct you towards an answer... I'm sure one is as good as the other.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

ManBehindWinkies wrote:
Chromatics appeared in the series, but founder Johnny Jewel wrote a ton of music for The Return. Lynch used two or three pieces, but Jewel has released more of it after the conclusion of The Return. Therefore, he may actually be in the loop. (I'm not supporting this theory, but just pointing out that Chromatics might have merely appeared in the series, but Jewel was utilized in Badalamenti-lite-like fashion.)
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote:All this talk of music makes me wonder again why there was so little music, particularly in the Twin Peaks scenes, in The Return. Did we ever find out why Lynch made this stylistic choice?
Lynch has been leaning further and further in this direction throughout the latter portion of his career. Eraserhead also began his career in this fashion.

As far as a thematic reason, I think it's probably to suck away the safety net, to diminish the nostalgia, to display how the town has changed and how cold the world has become, to display it in a more naturalistic way to tie into the stark realism of the non-supernatural scenes (which ties into how Lynch used digital cinematography), and also to further tie the supernatural scenes to the "reality" scenes, lending the latter an off-kilter instability so that both start to seem one and the same since the whole thing is partially about questioning reality. That said, if you consider low hums to be music and put on headphones, The Return can feel like a symphony of sound.
Last edited by LateReg on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I'm not sure what's achieved by all these rumors and speculation other than maybe getting the hopes up of some of the actors who think they would automatically be included in a season 4. From what I see, many of the actors from the original series (and some from S3) are regulars on the convention circuit and would probably be quite stoked at the thought of a new season and getting asked back. I actually think that a new season would include less of the original remaining cast members than S3.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It's almost 10:10 AM on 10/10, PST (Lynch's timezone). Not expecting anything, but if nothing, probably won't be as focused on dates/times for an announcement from now on. I'm not leaving the hype train entirely, but taking a backseat. I still think there might be more and an announcement will come. Just not sure when.

Edit - Nothing. So 10/1 and 10/2 - nothing. Nothing on October 4th, 6th, 7th, or now 10th either. So who knows.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Lynch must not have seen this, lol.
Attachments
tweet.png
tweet.png (124.6 KiB) Viewed 6949 times
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Well I'm sure there's an actual quote form insight into this, maybe it came from an interview with Duwayne Dunham? But basically he said Lynch would put music under picture and then ask Dunham to try it without and in most cases he preferred it without. I guess he just found it unnecessary, too on the nose, etc. Hard to really go beyond that because it's clearly an abstract reasoning in Lynch's mind and one that ties in to his overall perception of the "mood" of The Return and what he intended by it (not to mention its relation to the original show and FWWM which it consistently mirrors in some shape or form).
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Metamorphia wrote:
Well I'm sure there's an actual quote form insight into this, maybe it came from an interview with Duwayne Dunham? But basically he said Lynch would put music under picture and then ask Dunham to try it without and in most cases he preferred it without. I guess he just found it unnecessary, too on the nose, etc. Hard to really go beyond that because it's clearly an abstract reasoning in Lynch's mind and one that ties in to his overall perception of the "mood" of The Return and what he intended by it (not to mention its relation to the original show and FWWM which it consistently mirrors in some shape or form).
Right. This is the basis of what I was saying above. The mood of the piece. Well said.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Jonah wrote:Lynch must not have seen this, lol.
Looks like 2:53 pm is the last stop on the hype train for now :?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I don't take all these dates and times that seriously and never have tbh. People keep setting them up as arbitrary deadlines and then getting disappointed. The one thing I know about Lynch and Frost is they don't give a fuck and will do anything they want when they want without warning. So there's little point trying to anticipate and then being disappointed.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.