Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
Metamorphia

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Metamorphia » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:39 pm

I think whatever project Sabrina/Lynch are hinting at is something akin to What Did Jack Do, shot at home possibly with Lynch playing one of the parts or by utilising combined forms of animation etc (and phoning in voice actors who Lynch can direct remotely). They seem to be pushing the David Lynch Theatre thing on YouTube which makes me think it could just be something slightly larger scale planned for self publication there.

It's feasible a bigger project could be in the works, but it would need a really strict cast and crew quarantine where they all live in the same space and are tested daily. Lynch being a 74 year old smoker obviously makes him at incredibly high risk (not sure what the insurance complications would be for this)
Jasper

Postby Jasper » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:34 pm

Metamorphia wrote:I think whatever project Sabrina/Lynch are hinting at is something akin to What Did Jack Do, shot at home possibly with Lynch playing one of the parts or by utilising combined forms of animation etc (and phoning in voice actors who Lynch can direct remotely). They seem to be pushing the David Lynch Theatre thing on YouTube which makes me think it could just be something slightly larger scale planned for self publication there.

It's feasible a bigger project could be in the works, but it would need a really strict cast and crew quarantine where they all live in the same space and are tested daily. Lynch being a 74 year old smoker obviously makes him at incredibly high risk (not sure what the insurance complications would be for this)

Twin Peaks would be very tricky business, since at least traditionally it has used a large ensemble cast. The Return also used a lot of locations, though that wouldn't necessarily be the case in a continuation. Along with Lynch himself, there are also a number of older actors in the cast who are important to that world, and this would further increase the risk relating to the virus.
ManBehindWinkies

Postby ManBehindWinkies » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:25 am

I made a post speculating that the NBA and NHL playoff bubbles could be a test case for film and television production bubbles, then speculating that the LED virtual set technology used on The Mandalorian could be part of the solution because it allows for a variety of locations that can be created in limited space, reduce the number of crew needed because of less set construction and the fact that lighting is integrated into the set up.

Then speculated Lynch may love to work with this technology because the virtual sets can be tinkered with on the fly. The post was deleted for some reason. Not sure what rule that is violating, moderators please clarify....
eyeboogers

Postby eyeboogers » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:44 am

Metamorphia wrote:I think whatever project Sabrina/Lynch are hinting at is something akin to What Did Jack Do

I think there was so much semi-evidence before the virus hit that Lynch was involved in a new major project, that it is almost unthinkable that they are not impatiently waiting to get back to whatever film/series was in pre-production.
Jasper

Postby Jasper » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:04 pm

ManBehindWinkies wrote:the LED virtual set technology used on The Mandalorian could be part of the solution because it allows for a variety of locations that can be created in limited space, reduce the number of crew needed because of less set construction and the fact that lighting is integrated into the set up.

This is interesting. It always bothered me that green screens would obviously reflect green into the scene itself. If there has to be some kind of screen use, then this LED format is obviously vastly preferable in that it provides appropriately colored light for the environment, and gives reasonably realistic reflections. Of course I'd really rather that there be very little (or even no) screen use, but if there has to be, this seems vastly preferable, at least where it's practical. I know that sometimes huge green screens are used outdoors, say to give a different background to a building or something, so obviously that's a different matter.
baxter

Postby baxter » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:41 pm

I love the fact that this amazing new technology is just a modern update of those dodgy looking driving scenes that you used to get in TV shows, with the cast in front of a projected background.

I'm now not really hopeful for any Twin Peaks continuation on screen. My only hope is that, if they wrote more, we might get to read it one day.
Jasper

Postby Jasper » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:21 pm

baxter wrote:I'm now not really hopeful for any Twin Peaks continuation on screen.

Is this based upon a dislike of the use of screens and similar workarounds, or more upon the general difficulty involved with filming during a pandemic that has no end in sight? (Or is it something else?)

I'm not at all assuming a Twin Peaks continuation, though like I've already said, to me, Lynch doing ANY serious film project in the immediate future seems kind of crazy.
ManBehindWinkies

Postby ManBehindWinkies » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:26 pm

Jasper wrote:
ManBehindWinkies wrote:the LED virtual set technology used on The Mandalorian could be part of the solution because it allows for a variety of locations that can be created in limited space, reduce the number of crew needed because of less set construction and the fact that lighting is integrated into the set up.

This is interesting. It always bothered me that green screens would obviously reflect green into the scene itself. If there has to be some kind of screen use, then this LED format is obviously vastly preferable in that it provides appropriately colored light for the environment, and gives reasonably realistic reflections. Of course I'd really rather that there be very little (or even no) screen use, but if there has to be, this seems vastly preferable, at least where it's practical. I know that sometimes huge green screens are used outdoors, say to give a different background to a building or something, so obviously that's a different matter.

I'd also prefer real environments of course. Mostly speculating about this as a potential solution to the need to set up isolated filming bubbles while COVID remains a danger. For what it's worth I watched the entire Mandalorian season and had no clue this kind of technology was being used as extensively as it was, and that's really the litmus test.
krishnanspace

Postby krishnanspace » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:04 am

I’m just imagining if David gets access to this.. what amazing scenes would he create
N. Needleman

Postby N. Needleman » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:33 am

He is not going to green screen all of Season 4 from people's homes and film it this year. It's not going to happen.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
ManBehindWinkies

Postby ManBehindWinkies » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:10 pm

And literally no one is suggesting that.
baxter

Postby baxter » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:31 pm

My lack of hope is just based on the fact that everyone involved is getting old, and the pandemic will be with us for years.
N. Needleman

Postby N. Needleman » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:03 pm

ManBehindWinkies wrote:And literally no one is suggesting that.

I'm pretty sure at least one person fond of jumping to wild conclusions was, but generally, most of us are not.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jasper

Postby Jasper » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:32 pm

baxter wrote:My lack of hope is just based on the fact that everyone involved is getting old, and the pandemic will be with us for years.

I hear ya.
bob_wooler

Postby bob_wooler » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:32 am

The pandemic WILL (most likely) last for years and the TV/movie industry simply can't afford to wait that long. So they are forced to find ways, and they will.

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”