Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by TwinsPeak »

I didn't even know there was a "David Lynch Netflix limited series rumor." I heard about him possibly casting a female for something unknown but none of that. Not sure if Dern and Watts and Netflix help with it being Twin Peaks related or not. Dern and Watts might not be Lynch related but the secrecy part is right up Lynch alley.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

bob_wooler wrote:I bet, whatever happens regarding a season 4, this virus probably will fuck it up somehow.
I hope Lynch is staying inside. His lungs can't be that healthy as is.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

bob_wooler wrote:I bet, whatever happens regarding a season 4, this virus probably will fuck it up somehow.
If Lynch has been planning to unveil his new David Lynch Signature Hand Sanitizer, now would be a good time.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I'm totally split on whether this means TP S4 is more likely or less likely.

I can't see what Janey-E would do in S4 - it felt like that was wrapped up entirely. Laura Dern may have a role I guess. Then again, I predicted nothing at all about what was in S3.

It feels like this really does tie with the Lynch rumour though, so maybe he has another project in mind with his two favourite female actors.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2020/3 ... f7p8ovrsem

Is that just taken from the discussion on this forum? I feel like rumours are bouncing around the internet and echoing.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

baxter wrote:https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2020/3 ... f7p8ovrsem

Is that just taken from the discussion on this forum? I feel like rumours are bouncing around the internet and echoing.
The tweet is from the same guy who wrote the article
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

ha - so it's just me being inattentive! Thanks :-)
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

"there have been rumblings of a possible “Mulholland Drive” spin-off and, even, a continuation of “Twin Peaks: The Return,” I was told not to believe either."
Hmmm...

HHM was pretty clear that whatever they heard was Twin Peaks, and not something else. I seriously doubt the reason these rumors conflict is because the new project is not a literal continuation in the sense that it's another story set in the TP universe. Either Lynch changed his mind on what he should be working on, he's succesfully succeeded in misdirecting people in to believing this has nothing to with Twin Peaks, HHM was just plain wrong or this Ruimy guy just pastes whatever rumor he hears on to his blog. I really wouldn't place my bets on one or the other. Surely though, something is up, and it's very plausible 2020 could be the year we hear more. Still:
hhm.png
hhm.png (47.93 KiB) Viewed 8679 times
https://twitter.com/horrormuseum/status ... 9749409793

PS: it might be interesting to ask Ruimy who tells him these things.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Information might be sufficiently scant that people are told certain things, then they interpolate, then they end up saying something else. Then it gets put together with other things and grows.

So it might be that all of these people have been honest in their own heads, but they end up disagreeing.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Soolsma wrote:Mulholland Drive: The Return. Just calling it in case I'm right.
I always felt like Inland Empire was a kind of thematic sequel to MD. Just the whole plot of an actress losing her identity in a movie role felt like it could've happened to characters in MD, had it continued as a series and more about The Sylvia North Story was revealed. Also, the Rabbits connection.

But yeah, something that continues on the territory established in both films would be amazing and an unexpected surprise. Lynch is probably aching to film something else explicitly set in Los Angeles -- I still can't believe Peaks Season 3 didn't end up there somehow.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Cappy wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Mulholland Drive: The Return. Just calling it in case I'm right.
I always felt like Inland Empire was a kind of thematic sequel to MD. Just the whole plot of an actress losing her identity in a movie role felt like it could've happened to characters in MD, had it continued as a series and more about The Sylvia North Story was revealed. Also, the Rabbits connection.

But yeah, something that continues on the territory established in both films would be amazing and an unexpected surprise. Lynch is probably aching to film something else explicitly set in Los Angeles -- I still can't believe Peaks Season 3 didn't end up there somehow.
Since so much of The Return was filmed around LA, it certainly felt like a lot of it was going on there.

The specifc location is not as important to me as the story. If Lynch just makes something which feels like the same sort of territory as Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr. or INLAND EMPIRE, I'd be disappointed. Depending on how good it is of course. All I care about is seeing something great and Lynch gaining the plaudits and recognition he deserves.

I know many will say Twin Peaks - The Return was a critical success and received attention, I just don't feel it took Lynch (and co.) into the mainstream and gaining the sort of credit I want for him. It happened before mostly around 1990 and I did think it could happen again.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

NormoftheAndes wrote:
The specifc location is not as important to me as the story. If Lynch just makes something which feels like the same sort of territory as Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr. or INLAND EMPIRE, I'd be disappointed. Depending on how good it is of course. All I care about is seeing something great and Lynch gaining the plaudits and recognition he deserves.

I know many will say Twin Peaks - The Return was a critical success and received attention, I just don't feel it took Lynch (and co.) into the mainstream and gaining the sort of credit I want for him. It happened before mostly around 1990 and I did think it could happen again.
I totally get what you mean. I wanted The Return to recapture the mainstream as the original did. But as soon as the first Part aired I knew that would be impossible. Something so extreme can only be niche, especially in today's oversaturated, fractured and isolated way of viewing. I wonder what kind of thing it would take for Lynch to make to get the kind of attention/credit you're talking about.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

NormoftheAndes wrote:I know many will say Twin Peaks - The Return was a critical success and received attention, I just don't feel it took Lynch (and co.) into the mainstream and gaining the sort of credit I want for him. It happened before mostly around 1990 and I did think it could happen again.
That mainstream embrace nearly killed the franchise, and I have a feeling Lynch has since realized the profound paradox that the limelight is a wattage of obliterating strength, and that mass attention is short-lived attention, successful to the point of detriment. I for one hope his trajectory keeps being like that of Joyce, and he continues to disappear into his own world.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Sure, I didn't mean the exact same sort of mainstream successs as Twin Peaks in 1990 - but that was a network TV show. All I am suggesting is Lynch gaining the sort of talk and interest in whatever he's up to that happened with Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

NormoftheAndes wrote:Sure, I didn't mean the exact same sort of mainstream successs as Twin Peaks in 1990 - but that was a network TV show. All I am suggesting is Lynch gaining the sort of talk and interest in whatever he's up to that happened with Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart.
Mulholland Drive was pretty buzzworthy in its time too.