Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jerry Horne »

How long before any of you lose hope for a fourth season? This April? 2021? 2025? For me, if nothing is announced by the 30th anniversary on 4/8, I would have a hard time believing it will come back.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I didn't realize Britbox had censored things. That's unacceptable.

I have no particular timeframe on a possible return. I never expected S3 to begin with. I'm not waiting with bated breath; if it happens, it happens. I might start being less suspicious about various statements or news in, oh, five years.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

I believe that it's merely a matter of time. The delightful shock of Twin Peaks returning after decades off the air has made me a total optimist in this regard.
SatisfactionJackson

Post by SatisfactionJackson »

Me too. Total optimist

Like just knowing for sure that the Ex will call me soon again
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

TwinsPeak wrote:And of course when Harry Dean Stanton sees the tractor. When he says "You ride that thing all the way out here to see me?" Might be the best acting I've seen.
I feel exactly the same way. Watched it with my parents recently and that exact thought once again entered my mind.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jerry Horne wrote:How long before any of you lose hope for a fourth season? This April? 2021? 2025? For me, if nothing is announced by the 30th anniversary on 4/8, I would have a hard time believing it will come back.
As long as Lynch is above ground and physically able to work, I have hope, since S3 seemed like such a longshot for so long. I still put the odds at about 60-40 that we’ll get more eventually.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

I'm still in the camp where I've not lost hope there will be more but I don't think we'll get another season, I'm guessing a movie. Or maybe a four episode season or something since Lynch always overshoots and doesn't seem to care to edit down anymore.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Straight Story> And then that soundtrack! Lauren's walking is pure Badalamenti magic.

I'll lose hope when either Lynch or Frost declare there won't be anything new. Other than that I'll always have a shimmer of hope.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Jerry Horne wrote:How long before any of you lose hope for a fourth season? This April? 2021? 2025? For me, if nothing is announced by the 30th anniversary on 4/8, I would have a hard time believing it will come back.
But what precedent is there for an announcement on any anniversary? We had season 3 announced back in 2014 right?

However, I do agree that the 30th anniversary would be a great means of announcing something new based around the interest in Twin Peaks, looking back to the pilot episode in 1990 and so forth - you can't deny the power of nostalgia. I know many people claimed The Return was anti-nostalgia but I didn't sense that, it was just more interested in living inside its own dream.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Never lose hope. And now before its too late, seems the time to do it. But sadly I don't think anything is in the works already...…HHM isn't enough... I think it should happen. Like why not? Season 3 proved dreams do come true. Why not again? I think season 4 would make money and I think it would be both wonderful and strange.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I'll lose hope if another Lynch project is announced that isn't TP. That's my deadline of sorts.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

I have been thinking recently about TP and a potential S4, so here is a new post from me after a while, bearing the standard disclaimer that I think that about 20% of S3 is brilliant, and more importantly, that I am still a huge fan of TP overall.

Speaking as an engineer, it is a combination of factors that will decide whether there is an S4 or not, main of which are the desire of L&F to revisit the world, and their (especially DKL's) willingness to work within a certain framework that may not match the one available for S3. Basically, do they feel like they have a compelling story to tell, and could they constrain themselves to conditions that were not as liberal as those for S3, in particular sticking to a script? Knowing that something similar almost torpedoed S3, where the script was ready and energy and enthusiasm present.

Story-wise, they could tie up some loose ends, such as the missing agent Desmond. The way S3 ended left a clear open possibility of Richard and Carrie continuing their pursuit of a way out or back, but that then would be an expectation, and we've seen what S3 did to expectations. And here is why I am at this point more inclined to think that S4 is more unlikely that not: with Dougie Jones' return Cooper's story ends, it is a closure. Cooper lives on as "corrected" Dougie Jones, having a proper family of his own. What about Richard's fate? Would a new season be warranted to rectify it? At this moment I think not, and, and here is where most people may very well likely disagree with me, I do not think there is a way out of it. What would the successful outcome be here? Could it top the one from FWWM with Laura and her guardian angel? I don't think so. We've never seem the White Lodge really, have we? Can Lynch even visualise it? To me it seems the best we can hope for here is another stalemate with Laura whispering to Cooper in the waiting room.

Thus, my gut feeling at this point is that there is a 15% chance that there will be S4 (probably a four-part series), and 85% that there will not be one. Deadline? Two more years. Hopefully L&F catch a really big fish (for example that S3 was all simply Audrey's comatose dream), and that then gets the ball rolling. Seeing that Matinee Heroes tweet was encouraging, there still is the great cast we have for a new story, and if so, for more than just "Find Laura" from Ray Wise.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

baxter wrote:I'll lose hope if another Lynch project is announced that isn't TP. That's my deadline of sorts.
Could you elaborate? This seems arbitrary, as Lynch is always working on multiple projects in multiple media (paint, music, film, furniture, etc.). Honestly, after the insane marathon-run of creating TP:TR, I think he needs a palate cleanser. There’s a decent chance that DKL never returns to film at all, given his sporadic relationship with the medium over the past 20 years. But if he does, I’m fully expecting either an entirely original project, or Ronnie Rocket, or Antelope Don’t Run No More. Based on his history, I don’t expect him to dive immediately back into TP for his next project. But I also do truly believe that TP is the one ongoing story he’s always thinking about, and will always return to eventually, as long as time and health allow.

It’s so odd to me that most fans seem to be putting a time limit on the possibility of a S4. TR was a gift none of us could have predicted, decades after the original show ended with no hope of return, and it was a one-off. The only takeaway for me is, anything is possible.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

boske wrote:
Story-wise, they could tie up some loose ends, such as the missing agent Desmond. The way S3 ended left a clear open possibility of Richard and Carrie continuing their pursuit of a way out or back, but that then would be an expectation, and we've seen what S3 did to expectations. And here is why I am at this point more inclined to think that S4 is more unlikely that not: with Dougie Jones' return Cooper's story ends, it is a closure. Cooper lives on as "corrected" Dougie Jones, having a proper family of his own. What about Richard's fate? Would a new season be warranted to rectify it? At this moment I think not, and, and here is where most people may very well likely disagree with me, I do not think there is a way out of it. What would the successful outcome be here? Could it top the one from FWWM with Laura and her guardian angel? I don't think so. We've never seem the White Lodge really, have we? Can Lynch even visualise it? To me it seems the best we can hope for here is another stalemate with Laura whispering to Cooper in the waiting room.

Thus, my gut feeling at this point is that there is a 15% chance that there will be S4 (probably a four-part series), and 85% that there will not be one. Deadline? Two more years. Hopefully L&F catch a really big fish (for example that S3 was all simply Audrey's comatose dream), and that then gets the ball rolling. Seeing that Matinee Heroes tweet was encouraging, there still is the great cast we have for a new story, and if so, for more than just "Find Laura" from Ray Wise.
Having Desmond in the show could be entirely possible. Any of the Odessa aspects are a stretch for me as they're so specific to that world. Since the characters also are abstractions or alter-egos it all seems even more tenuous. I saw Dougie as Cooper's innocent dream-self. In terms of story and characters, I think any continuing story would have to be as new and fresh as everything in season 3, albeit with more continuity and sense of drama - more akin to the original Twin Peaks in some senses.

I can see that direction being likely after the mostly experimental nature of The Return.

If you only think there is a 15% likelihood of more Twin Peaks, I'm kind of surprised you're even bothering speculating! :lol:
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
baxter wrote:
It’s so odd to me that most fans seem to be putting a time limit on the possibility of a S4. TR was a gift none of us could have predicted, decades after the original show ended with no hope of return, and it was a one-off. The only takeaway for me is, anything is possible.
You must be well aware that fans are putting a time limit on Twin Peaks' future due to Lynch now being older. Funnily though, when he was in his 50s for instance there were never much talk of him returning to the project.

I would agree with you that anything is possible. I think that Lynch (and Frost) will have discussed and taken notes on some ideas for where Twin Peaks could go now - Lynch has often involved his family in Twin Peaks so in the future I can see them becoming even more creatively involved with the whole thing. At the same time, if he can creatively motivate himself to work on TP then I am sure he will and that could happen anytime I believe.