Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Metamorphia »

krishnanspace wrote:Even Richard Donner who is 90 years old is directing Lethal Weapon 5
I'm not a Lethal Weapon fan lol so I'm ignorant on this, but is that really true? I googled it and there's apparently a remark that a LW5 is "in the works" and that Donner is "coming back", but the guy hasn't directed a movie since 2006. Seems more likely that since he is 90 it's more of a producer credit, or possibly he comes on board as a co-writer? Action movies are hellish to shoot.

On Lynch, yeah, there was a discussion about his health a few months back and I am sadly in the camp that I think he looks a little worse for wear.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

Literally every person still in the running to become President of the United States for the next 4 to 8 years is around Lynch's age or older. At one point that job might have been considered more grueling than writing and directing a limited series.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I get it has CONFIRMED in all caps in this tabloid headline, but if you read the article (or even better the actual source) you'll see that there isn't even a finished screenplay - much less a greenlit movie. That being said, it would be fun to see one more Richard Donner film.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I wonder if Bob Iger resigning as CEO might clear the way for Disney to pick up Twin Peaks?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:I wonder if Bob Iger resigning as CEO might clear the way for Disney to pick up Twin Peaks?
Please no. They have their fingers in every pie there is at this point. CBS seems an ideal distributor that respects L/F’s complete autonomy.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:I wonder if Bob Iger resigning as CEO might clear the way for Disney to pick up Twin Peaks?
Disney is only interested in making money
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Please no.
Please no.

Please no.

Please no.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The only thing I want from Disney vis a vis Lynch properties is a proper damn disc of The Straight Story, with voluminous special features.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I was about to say, didn't Disney distribute The Straight Story? I always completely forget about it in my mental chronology of Lynch material. I always see this path from Fire Walk With Me through Lost Highway to Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire, forgetting that The Straight Story is there in the middle. It is such an outstanding film, and it should be hailed as a modern classic at every turn.

The Daily Mail for those who aren't British is pretty much the worst newspaper in the history of mankind. There is a whole website devoted to things that The Daily Mail have said cause cancer, and the things it says cure it. The fun is finding things on both lists.

Getting back to topic, it feels like not much is happening on the S$ gossip and rumour front. I still feel like something is imminent though. :-D
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Disney also produced the initial Mulholland Drive pilot, via their Touchstone subsidiary, and (as recounted in Room to Dream) screwed Lynch creatively and almost prevented the world from ever seeing the project.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I forgot about The Straight Story! Very much agree Baxter, funny how Lynch called it his most experimental film once. It's one of my favorite movies of all time.

I think what I meant to say was that contemporary Disney is very determined on keeping it's content suitable for a global market, even more so since the rise of Disney+. Censoring out stuff for the silliest reasons from IP's they bought. I can't even begin to imagine in how many ways a modern Lynch production would clash with Disney's current modus operandi.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

The Straight Story was amazing. One of my favorites as well. So different than Lynch's other movies but still so good. I love the scenes when Alvin and Rose are looking up at the stars. And of course when Harry Dean Stanton sees the tractor. When he says "You ride that thing all the way out here to see me?" Might be the best acting I've seen.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

At the time, I saw The Straight Story as very closely related to Twin Peaks. The quirky exploration of humanity aspect of Twin Peaks is very much in evidence in TSS. To me, The Straight Story and Eraserhead almost represent the outer poles of his work, and most of his stuff sits somewhere in the middle (except possibly Dune for obvious reasons).

I'm sure you are right about Disney nowadays. Every media company has become very paranoid about content that might offend, and DIsney have even more reason to be due to their long association with content for kids.

I was interested in the recent Brit Box streaming service until I realised that they have censored some shows, removed episodes of others, and also they have far less obscure content that I would want. The last of these is my major gripe, but I also insist on being to watch shows as they were made which means I'll have to get them on DVD.