Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by krishnanspace »

(Rumor) David Lynch project update

[https://www.recapped.com/david-lynch-rumors/](https://www.recapped.com/david-lynch-rumors/)

**Last week we mentioned a new David Lynch film. Turns out the project might actually be a limited series for a very popular streaming service instead. Also, they may have aged up the lead to an actress in their 30s now but nudity is apparently still required for the role**
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

What is the specific source and what is its track record?
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

'Very popular streaming service' really makes me think it can't be CBS All Access (unless it's just a matter of differing opinions on 'popular'), which would make more Peaks unlikely unless CBS was inclined to license out (and Netflix was inclined to license .. which they've generally moved away from as they pursue things they can own outright). I think most people looking to the Graceland thing as a place of announcement if more Peaks is coming is fair (where else would you announce it) but given the randomness of the original Return announcement, who the hell knows anymore. Once 2020 passes though, if there's no announcement I'm pretty ready to assume that it's done and dusted.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

New Peaks will happen when it happens. And I do believe it will happen at some point. But putting arbitrary dates and expectations on it is unrealistic. I do not expect any kind of announcement this year, although I would of course love to be proven wrong.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Some thoughts.

-Once more: Recapped doesn't seem to have a real reason to lie about this for attention. It's not a part of the TP fan community and is therefore less likely to try and farm attention from it's fellow Peak freaks. They're nothing like a clickbaity site either, and seem mostly interested in providing it's (probably small, not to mention obscure) community with interesting tidbits.

-The fact that they convey this as a maybe and not an absolute fact adds to my belief that this may be genuine, at least from their end.

-Heavy speculation: HHM heard Lynch was doing a limited series and simply assumed it was Twin Peaks.
N. Needleman wrote:What is the specific source and what is its track record?
Recapped seems to have a solid record on reporting Witcher news, as mentioned in this article. Their animated Witcher series rumor also nearly hit the spot, it became a movie instead. (Note that these days it's not uncommon for projects to switch between series and feature during pre production)
https://redanianintelligence.com/2019/0 ... er-series/
Also this turned out to be correct.
https://www.recapped.com/the-nightingale-rumors/

They don't ever seem to post a specific source for their rumors.

PS: Someone with Twitter post this rumor on HHM's page?
Last edited by Soolsma on Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Soolsma wrote:
PS: Someone with Twitter post this rumor on HHM's page?
Done. Let's see what they respond with. Probably something vague.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Thanks Sneakydave! This could prove interesting.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Unfortunately, Soolsma, it was as expected. I doubt we'll get anything out of them anymore.

https://twitter.com/horrormuseum/status ... 46080?s=20
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I really felt a kind of prescience when watching What Did Jack Do in terms of some future Lynch-Netflix episodic team-up - something in a similar style probably, but obviously with more characters and an "ongoing story" of some kind. Wouldn't surprise me if there is something like that in the works - almost seems like a no-brainer for Netflix, being relatively cheap and guaranteeing positive word from the whole Film Twitter/Indiewire/Letterboxd type internet community. Something from the "box of ideas" that Lynch mentioned going through with Sabrina Sutherland?
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Chiming in again to bring RONNIE ROCKET 2020 into the collective unconsciousness. Do it David!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

thedougpa wrote:Chiming in again to bring RONNIE ROCKET 2020 into the collective unconsciousness. Do it David!
If this were Reddit, I’d upvote. :mrgreen:
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Would he do Ronnie Rocket now do you think? Given that he script has been out there for so long and certain elements seem to have been incorporated into The Return?
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

I went back through old recapped posts to try to get a sense of how credible they may or may not be. Honestly it's a little difficult to tell because many rumors they post are somewhat obscure and I'm not familiar with the projects being referenced, and I also am not sure about the timing of their posting rumors about projects I am more familiar with. The blog actually goes back to 2005 so I've only checked a tiny fraction of their rumors, but the longevity probably isn't a bad sign regarding credibility. I went back to 2018 posts and saw some accurate blurbs about Suspiria and Uncut Gems. They seem relatively consistent with what they post: lots about casting news, lots of specific reviews that seem to be from early screenings and what not. Who really knows, but I agree they don't seem to have any reason to be making this up, and having some kind of industry contact would explain most of their rumors.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:New Peaks will happen when it happens. And I do believe it will happen at some point. But putting arbitrary dates and expectations on it is unrealistic.
Agreed on all.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

sneakydave wrote:Would he do Ronnie Rocket now do you think? Given that he script has been out there for so long and certain elements seem to have been incorporated into The Return?
He was still talking about making it as recently as at least 2013. Lynch has never had a problem repeating elements (chevron floor in Eraserhead), so I don’t think that would be an issue. Also, who knows how much the script has evolved if he’s continued noodling with it in the last thirty years. The timing certainly feels right: IE and TP:TR feel more like Eraserhead in many ways than any of his intervening projects.