Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
User avatar
FauxOwl
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby FauxOwl » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:29 pm

Cappy wrote:I personally have no qualms with TP having a new season on Netflix -- I'd just hate for the entire season to get released at once. That model seems to work well with certain shows (OITNB, Stranger Things), but I really enjoyed having a week to sit with each individual episode of S3.


I agree with this. It's a very different experience gestating the show week to week. There's definitely certain types of shows where it would be too much to watch it all at once... Mr. Robot is the another one that comes to mind. I watched that week to week. A friend tried to binge old episodes on Amazon Prime, and she loved it at first, but suddenly felt overwhelmed and stopped watching. I could see myself having a similar experience.

Not to mention the way the fan communities engage with show online is totally different. The blog/forum and podcasting scene tends to be more vibrant on shows released weekly. I like a lot of what Netflix does but they are irritatingly dogmatic about a few things, like releasing all the episodes at once and their policy about no theatrical release windows. I know personally, I don't end up engaging online with Netflix shows I like such as Mindhunter, Russian Doll, etc. I'm not a huge Stranger Things fan, but the way the fans engage with that has to be different than something like Game of Thrones.

Amazon has the same release strategy for television shows. At least they have a different strategy for theatrical films. The Expanse was an interesting test case as it started as a weekly show than continued on Amazon for with an entire season release. A lot of the fans committed to watching the show weekly, and even made schedules so they could maintain that week to week fan interaction. Personally I'm eventually going to binge. I watched the entire fourth season over 4 days. There's no way I can commit to watching over 10 weeks without a scheduled release.

I think the release schedule was pretty key to The Mandalorian becoming the phenomenon that it was. I wonder if Netflix and Amazon will realize they are robbing these shows of a lot of potential for becoming a cultural phenomenon. I know Amazon wants to get Game of Thrones like hype for some upcoming projects like Lord of the Rings, but I bet they won't succeed without experimenting with the release schedule.
User avatar
FauxOwl
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby FauxOwl » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:34 pm

krishnanspace wrote:
Cappy wrote:I personally have no qualms with TP having a new season on Netflix -- I'd just hate for the entire season to get released at once. That model seems to work well with certain shows (OITNB, Stranger Things), but I really enjoyed having a week to sit with each individual episode of S3.

There are some shows on Netflix which gets released weekly though


Which shows and what country are you in? Netflix releases some shows like Better Call Saul to the international market weekly, but that's a distribution deal. Better Call Saul isn't a Netflix original production. They are pretty strict about releasing their scripted original content in a full season release. I think there are some reality/ talk show type shows that they will release weekly as well. Is there an example of a scripted show where they've done that?
User avatar
FauxOwl
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby FauxOwl » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:41 pm

The casting notice scoop seems amusingly credible to me as well. I agree it can be about anything. If the casting notice is specific that it is a film, hopefully it means it's a substantial project. I would be excited for more Twin Peaks, but I might be even more excited if it was a new original film or limited series. Although Mark Frost and Lynch are very interesting collaborators.
User avatar
krishnanspace
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby krishnanspace » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:09 pm

FauxOwl wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
Cappy wrote:I personally have no qualms with TP having a new season on Netflix -- I'd just hate for the entire season to get released at once. That model seems to work well with certain shows (OITNB, Stranger Things), but I really enjoyed having a week to sit with each individual episode of S3.

There are some shows on Netflix which gets released weekly though


Which shows and what country are you in? Netflix releases some shows like Better Call Saul to the international market weekly, but that's a distribution deal. Better Call Saul isn't a Netflix original production. They are pretty strict about releasing their scripted original content in a full season release. I think there are some reality/ talk show type shows that they will release weekly as well. Is there an example of a scripted show where they've done that?

It’s a Netflix show called explained though it’s like a documentary. I also think that Netflix can experiment with a weekly streaming with Twin Peaks if that is possible. Come to think of it, even Showtime streamed the first 4 parts of Season 3 on the same day. That’s almost 1/4th of the total season
User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 883
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Jasper » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:55 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
BGate wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:Has this been posted yet? Tenuous at best lol, and maybe not even Twin Peaks. But still

https://www.reddit.com/r/davidlynch/com ... cappedcom/



This seems legit to me on the surface. This site has no reason to make up Lynch rumors specifically, and assuming their source is legit (a fairly big assumption admittedly) a casting notice is pretty hard evidence. Hell of a lot more than "we know someone who told us something is coming next year", anyway.

that said, it doesn't necessarily mean a feature film. and I know he did it for MD, but I'd be somewhat surprised if Lynch at this point in his career did a casting call to find his lead actress.


We first heard about BTW through a casting notice that Lynch was looking for an actress to play a waitress. So this could be legit, but could also be a short or music video, or anything.


I remember the mini social media furor when the casting agency put out a call for busty blondes or whatever it was. I've had a bit of a suspicion that the name of the character referred to as "bosomy woman" was a joke about that.
User avatar
krishnanspace
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby krishnanspace » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:02 pm

Jasper wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
BGate wrote:

This seems legit to me on the surface. This site has no reason to make up Lynch rumors specifically, and assuming their source is legit (a fairly big assumption admittedly) a casting notice is pretty hard evidence. Hell of a lot more than "we know someone who told us something is coming next year", anyway.

that said, it doesn't necessarily mean a feature film. and I know he did it for MD, but I'd be somewhat surprised if Lynch at this point in his career did a casting call to find his lead actress.


We first heard about BTW through a casting notice that Lynch was looking for an actress to play a waitress. So this could be legit, but could also be a short or music video, or anything.


I remember the mini social media furor when the casting agency put out a call for busty blondes or whatever it was. I've had a bit of a suspicion that the name of the character referred to as "bosomy woman" was a joke about that.

The thing about the bosomy woman that has always lingered on my mind is that the person who played the part was neither a woman nor bosomy. It was played by a flat chested man! Felt like it was Lynch's way to telling the audience that you shouldn't believe everything that you see. Atleast thats what I took from that scene
User avatar
krishnanspace
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby krishnanspace » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:05 pm

Metamorphia wrote:Has this been posted yet? Tenuous at best lol, and maybe not even Twin Peaks. But still

https://www.reddit.com/r/davidlynch/com ... cappedcom/

Hmm... Kinda coincides with what Twin Peaks Worldwide posted on Instagram saying that Season 4 is in Pre-production. But still no credible proof. Without Lynch/Frost saying it explicitly , the only proof I'm gonna accept is when Kyle dyes his hair black
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 2058
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby N. Needleman » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:24 am

Twin Peaks Worldwide is not credible or worth discussing.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
User avatar
Soolsma
Posts: 1193
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Soolsma » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:26 am

BGate wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:Has this been posted yet? Tenuous at best lol, and maybe not even Twin Peaks. But still

https://www.reddit.com/r/davidlynch/com ... cappedcom/



This seems legit to me on the surface.(1) This site has no reason to make up Lynch rumors specifically, and assuming their source is legit (a fairly big assumption admittedly) a casting notice is pretty hard evidence. Hell of a lot more than "we know someone who told us something is coming next year", anyway.

that said, it doesn't necessarily mean a feature film. and I know he did it for MD, but (2)I'd be somewhat surprised if Lynch at this point in his career did a casting call to find his lead actress.


1. Very true. A lot of times on the internet, leaked casting calls turn out to be the real deal.

2. Why? He could be deadset on getting someone to match the image he has in his head. That sounds like typical Lynch to me. Plus, would you be very surprised if Lynch did something subversive?

When putting out a casting call, the only way for him to cast for TP without setting off a bunch of rumors would be to call it a feature film. Also, remember he also considered TPTR a film. It doesn't seem unlikely that a new asset would only find out they'll be working on TP until after they've signed an NDA. Not that I strongly believe this to be TP related, I certainly won't disregard the possibility. Although a completely new lead would be a surprise, but certainly possible. Anything is possible in Odessaverse.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Agent Earle
Posts: 936
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Agent Earle » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:11 am

N. Needleman wrote:Twin Peaks Worldwide is not credible or worth discussing.


That may be so, but their viral campaign to "Bring Back Twin Peaks" in the mid-10s -- when everybody else was still proclaiming the property's death -- was uncanilly visionary, I'd say.
User avatar
krishnanspace
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby krishnanspace » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:02 pm

BGate
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:15 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby BGate » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:39 pm

Soolsma wrote:When putting out a casting call, the only way for him to cast for TP without setting off a bunch of rumors would be to call it a feature film. Also, remember he also considered TPTR a film. It doesn't seem unlikely that a new asset would only find out they'll be working on TP until after they've signed an NDA. Not that I strongly believe this to be TP related, I certainly won't disregard the possibility. Although a completely new lead would be a surprise, but certainly possible. Anything is possible in Odessaverse.


Right, and also I'm not familiar enough with the biz to know what "lead" really indicates in this context. If it's an ensemble there would be several leads, and it might not necessarily mean an "above the title" type role.

As much as I poke fun at the HHM thing, it is interesting that the timing does seem to be lining up. If this really is a major project and they are already casting than it can't be long before we would see something reported from a legit outlet.

Has Jerry said if he's just posting this based off the nudity blog or does he have another source?
User avatar
Jerry Horne
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: Private Portland Airport
Contact:

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Jerry Horne » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:14 pm

No additional source.
ManBehindWinkies
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:08 pm

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby ManBehindWinkies » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:46 pm

I feel like all this casting smoke is pretty good indication that there's a fire. Hopefully we'll get some word soon if this is Twin Peaks related or not.
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby mtwentz » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:41 pm

Agent Earle wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Twin Peaks Worldwide is not credible or worth discussing.


That may be so, but their viral campaign to "Bring Back Twin Peaks" in the mid-10s -- when everybody else was still proclaiming the property's death -- was uncanilly visionary, I'd say.


I think it’s completely different people running it than were running it back then.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests