Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BGate
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by BGate »

I would forget about the HHM thing, for your own sanity. That way when January 2021 rolls around and they say something like, "Oh, I guess things got delayed but our source is still legit!" you won't feel like jumping out a window.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

BGate wrote:I would forget about the HHM thing, for your own sanity. That way when January 2021 rolls around and they say something like, "Oh, I guess things got delayed but our source is still legit!" you won't feel like jumping out a window.
That is if they'll even be "alive" then.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Troubbble wrote:
There's still no guarantee they'll want Twin Peaks for this, but CBS' new streaming service needs marquee content *badly* after the weak performance of CBS All Access. With David and Mark still leaving the door open, it wouldn't surprise me at all if CBS/Showtime greenlit season 4 to add to the allure of the new platform. Fingers crossed in the meantime...
Yeah I would think the CBS people would be falling over themselves to get some Twin Peaks or Lynch content to help bolster All Access. I guess the news that Ray Donovan was canceled gave me a bad feeling. If Lynch walked away from the project over money this time, I wonder if they'd be as inclined to give into him again.

But yeah, All Access desperately needs new content other than Star Trek and the new Twilight Zone. It would be interesting if they really tried to milk TP as they've done Star Trek -- maybe a Season 4, along with some spin-off films (The Road Is My Dharma with Wally Brando, a Fawlty Towers style comedy about the Horne Family and their hotel, maybe an hour long music video for Chrysta Bell as Tammy Preston investigating the owls in the Roadhouse or something) and perhaps even an HD remaster of On The Air.

Ideally all of the new material would be directed by Lynch... but I would settle for him selecting/overseeing others for some of the material, although I don't see him allowing others to direct Peaks at this point.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Personally I would want a continuation on Netflix if possible. Netflix would provide Lynch with the budget he needs with no artistic restrictions. Also it would help get Twin Peaks to a wider audience .
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

krishnanspace wrote:Personally I would want a continuation on Netflix if possible. Netflix would provide Lynch with the budget he needs with no artistic restrictions. Also it would help get Twin Peaks to a wider audience .
Netflix's business model is not creator-friendly, though. Based on their algorithms, in terms of subscriber retention, profit is maximized by cancelling a series after 2 seasons even if it's doing well, because more content overall (of a certain low-ish number of episodes) has more draw-in than several shows with several sprawling seasons, and viewer dropoff happens beyond that point no matter what. It's a quantitative thing--the impression of so many options, and then enough dedication to the series to please enough of the audience not of a particular series, but the Netflix brand/platform in general. You have to get Stranger Things numbers for them to keep your show alive beyond that point. Perhaps if Lynch went in wanting to do 1 or 2 seasons. But it seems like he enjoys leaving the possibility open, which Showtime seemed ready to indulge at the time.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

AXX°N N. wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:Personally I would want a continuation on Netflix if possible. Netflix would provide Lynch with the budget he needs with no artistic restrictions. Also it would help get Twin Peaks to a wider audience .
Netflix's business model is not creator-friendly, though. Based on their algorithms, in terms of subscriber retention, profit is maximized by cancelling a series after 2 seasons even if it's doing well, because more content overall (of a certain low-ish number of episodes) has more draw-in than several shows with several sprawling seasons, and viewer dropoff happens beyond that point no matter what. It's a quantitative thing--the impression of so many options, and then enough dedication to the series to please enough of the audience not of a particular series, but the Netflix brand/platform in general. You have to get Stranger Things numbers for them to keep your show alive beyond that point. Perhaps if Lynch went in wanting to do 1 or 2 seasons. But it seems like he enjoys leaving the possibility open, which Showtime seemed ready to indulge at the time.
Agreed but one place where Twin Peaks is different from the other cancelled shows is that Twin Peaks is directed by Lynch and gets nominated for huge awards and that would be a big thing for Netflix. It would also change the perception of Netflix being something that milks content to that of one the produces piece of art. Like for example with the Irishman, it showed that Big artists like Martin Scorsese are also welcome. I mean The Irishman got 10 Oscar nominations which is a big deal for Netflix.

Also Netflix is the platform which hosted "What did Jack Do?" which is a 17 min experimental film and which was well received by the audience as well as the critics and I have no doubt given the opportunity, Netflix would definitely produce more Twin Peaks
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

AXX°N N. wrote:

It's a bit of a mute point because I don't think Lynch would have any problem getting what he wants from Showtime if he wanted to do another TP season, but I wouldn't say Netflix doesn't have a "creator-friendly" model. They do seem to give creative freedom to a number of different content creators, so that in and of itself is creator friendly. The main problem occurs with television series that are meant to last multiple seasons, ala "Sense8" and "The OA". But even in those examples, Netflix at least gave the creators artistic freedom, even if they weren't willing to finance the vision all the way through to the end. But there's a reason filmmakers like Bong Joon-Ho, Martin Scorcese, The Coen Brothers, Noah Baumbach, etc. have all turned to Netflix... because Netflix was willing to fully finance their projects and give them creative control.

I think Twin Peaks would be on Showtime if it continued, but Netflix does seem to be an ideal partner for Lynch if he decided to do a different kind of project. Even if theoretically Showtime decided they didn't want to do Twin Peaks and Lynch and Frost shopped it to Netflix, I think they'd approach the season as a self contained season that could very well be the last, so Netflix's penchant for pulling the plug early on some of these more artistically ambitious shows shouldn't be a factor.
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

If Twin Peaks were to continue on a streaming platform, I don't see it leaving the Viacom/CBS/Showtime ecosystem. They need premium content with significant fan bases much more than Netflix does right now. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if the Viacom conglomerate has a right of first refusal of home entertainment/streaming rights for all future TP productions. They'd have to be REALLY be over the property to cast it aside for Netflix (or someone else) to pick it up, and given the ongoing activity with merchandise, new Blu-ray set, 'official' fan festival, that doesn't seem to be where they're at.

Does that mean an ambitious Lynch-directed project doesn't wind up going to Netflix one day? No - I just don't think it would be Twin Peaks.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Has this been posted yet? Tenuous at best lol, and maybe not even Twin Peaks. But still

https://www.reddit.com/r/davidlynch/com ... cappedcom/
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I personally have no qualms with TP having a new season on Netflix -- I'd just hate for the entire season to get released at once. That model seems to work well with certain shows (OITNB, Stranger Things), but I really enjoyed having a week to sit with each individual episode of S3.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Metamorphia wrote:Has this been posted yet? Tenuous at best lol, and maybe not even Twin Peaks. But still

This seems legit to me on the surface. This site has no reason to make up Lynch rumors specifically, and assuming their source is legit (a fairly big assumption admittedly) a casting notice is pretty hard evidence. Hell of a lot more than "we know someone who told us something is coming next year", anyway.

that said, it doesn't necessarily mean a feature film. and I know he did it for MD, but I'd be somewhat surprised if Lynch at this point in his career did a casting call to find his lead actress.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

BGate wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:Has this been posted yet? Tenuous at best lol, and maybe not even Twin Peaks. But still

This seems legit to me on the surface. This site has no reason to make up Lynch rumors specifically, and assuming their source is legit (a fairly big assumption admittedly) a casting notice is pretty hard evidence. Hell of a lot more than "we know someone who told us something is coming next year", anyway.

that said, it doesn't necessarily mean a feature film. and I know he did it for MD, but I'd be somewhat surprised if Lynch at this point in his career did a casting call to find his lead actress.
We first heard about BTW through a casting notice that Lynch was looking for an actress to play a waitress. So this could be legit, but could also be a short or music video, or anything.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Cappy wrote:I personally have no qualms with TP having a new season on Netflix -- I'd just hate for the entire season to get released at once. That model seems to work well with certain shows (OITNB, Stranger Things), but I really enjoyed having a week to sit with each individual episode of S3.
There are some shows on Netflix which gets released weekly though
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

Cappy wrote:I personally have no qualms with TP having a new season on Netflix -- I'd just hate for the entire season to get released at once. That model seems to work well with certain shows (OITNB, Stranger Things), but I really enjoyed having a week to sit with each individual episode of S3.
I agree with this. It's a very different experience gestating the show week to week. There's definitely certain types of shows where it would be too much to watch it all at once... Mr. Robot is the another one that comes to mind. I watched that week to week. A friend tried to binge old episodes on Amazon Prime, and she loved it at first, but suddenly felt overwhelmed and stopped watching. I could see myself having a similar experience.

Not to mention the way the fan communities engage with show online is totally different. The blog/forum and podcasting scene tends to be more vibrant on shows released weekly. I like a lot of what Netflix does but they are irritatingly dogmatic about a few things, like releasing all the episodes at once and their policy about no theatrical release windows. I know personally, I don't end up engaging online with Netflix shows I like such as Mindhunter, Russian Doll, etc. I'm not a huge Stranger Things fan, but the way the fans engage with that has to be different than something like Game of Thrones.

Amazon has the same release strategy for television shows. At least they have a different strategy for theatrical films. The Expanse was an interesting test case as it started as a weekly show than continued on Amazon for with an entire season release. A lot of the fans committed to watching the show weekly, and even made schedules so they could maintain that week to week fan interaction. Personally I'm eventually going to binge. I watched the entire fourth season over 4 days. There's no way I can commit to watching over 10 weeks without a scheduled release.

I think the release schedule was pretty key to The Mandalorian becoming the phenomenon that it was. I wonder if Netflix and Amazon will realize they are robbing these shows of a lot of potential for becoming a cultural phenomenon. I know Amazon wants to get Game of Thrones like hype for some upcoming projects like Lord of the Rings, but I bet they won't succeed without experimenting with the release schedule.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

krishnanspace wrote:
There are some shows on Netflix which gets released weekly though
Which shows and what country are you in? Netflix releases some shows like Better Call Saul to the international market weekly, but that's a distribution deal. Better Call Saul isn't a Netflix original production. They are pretty strict about releasing their scripted original content in a full season release. I think there are some reality/ talk show type shows that they will release weekly as well. Is there an example of a scripted show where they've done that?