Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
User avatar
FauxOwl
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby FauxOwl » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:57 pm

Because Jennifer Lynch was once a board member? That's a stretch.
User avatar
bob_wooler
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 2:00 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby bob_wooler » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:29 am

No. But they (claim to) know something. So my point is that more than just the inner circle knows by now.
BGate
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:15 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby BGate » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:21 am

I would forget about the HHM thing, for your own sanity. That way when January 2021 rolls around and they say something like, "Oh, I guess things got delayed but our source is still legit!" you won't feel like jumping out a window.
Agent Earle
Posts: 936
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Agent Earle » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:18 am

BGate wrote:I would forget about the HHM thing, for your own sanity. That way when January 2021 rolls around and they say something like, "Oh, I guess things got delayed but our source is still legit!" you won't feel like jumping out a window.


That is if they'll even be "alive" then.
User avatar
Cappy
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:27 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Cappy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:04 pm

Troubbble wrote:
There's still no guarantee they'll want Twin Peaks for this, but CBS' new streaming service needs marquee content *badly* after the weak performance of CBS All Access. With David and Mark still leaving the door open, it wouldn't surprise me at all if CBS/Showtime greenlit season 4 to add to the allure of the new platform. Fingers crossed in the meantime...


Yeah I would think the CBS people would be falling over themselves to get some Twin Peaks or Lynch content to help bolster All Access. I guess the news that Ray Donovan was canceled gave me a bad feeling. If Lynch walked away from the project over money this time, I wonder if they'd be as inclined to give into him again.

But yeah, All Access desperately needs new content other than Star Trek and the new Twilight Zone. It would be interesting if they really tried to milk TP as they've done Star Trek -- maybe a Season 4, along with some spin-off films (The Road Is My Dharma with Wally Brando, a Fawlty Towers style comedy about the Horne Family and their hotel, maybe an hour long music video for Chrysta Bell as Tammy Preston investigating the owls in the Roadhouse or something) and perhaps even an HD remaster of On The Air.

Ideally all of the new material would be directed by Lynch... but I would settle for him selecting/overseeing others for some of the material, although I don't see him allowing others to direct Peaks at this point.
User avatar
krishnanspace
Posts: 1028
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby krishnanspace » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:46 pm

Personally I would want a continuation on Netflix if possible. Netflix would provide Lynch with the budget he needs with no artistic restrictions. Also it would help get Twin Peaks to a wider audience .
User avatar
AXX°N N.
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby AXX°N N. » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:08 pm

krishnanspace wrote:Personally I would want a continuation on Netflix if possible. Netflix would provide Lynch with the budget he needs with no artistic restrictions. Also it would help get Twin Peaks to a wider audience .

Netflix's business model is not creator-friendly, though. Based on their algorithms, in terms of subscriber retention, profit is maximized by cancelling a series after 2 seasons even if it's doing well, because more content overall (of a certain low-ish number of episodes) has more draw-in than several shows with several sprawling seasons, and viewer dropoff happens beyond that point no matter what. It's a quantitative thing--the impression of so many options, and then enough dedication to the series to please enough of the audience not of a particular series, but the Netflix brand/platform in general. You have to get Stranger Things numbers for them to keep your show alive beyond that point. Perhaps if Lynch went in wanting to do 1 or 2 seasons. But it seems like he enjoys leaving the possibility open, which Showtime seemed ready to indulge at the time.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
User avatar
krishnanspace
Posts: 1028
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby krishnanspace » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:28 am

AXX°N N. wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:Personally I would want a continuation on Netflix if possible. Netflix would provide Lynch with the budget he needs with no artistic restrictions. Also it would help get Twin Peaks to a wider audience .

Netflix's business model is not creator-friendly, though. Based on their algorithms, in terms of subscriber retention, profit is maximized by cancelling a series after 2 seasons even if it's doing well, because more content overall (of a certain low-ish number of episodes) has more draw-in than several shows with several sprawling seasons, and viewer dropoff happens beyond that point no matter what. It's a quantitative thing--the impression of so many options, and then enough dedication to the series to please enough of the audience not of a particular series, but the Netflix brand/platform in general. You have to get Stranger Things numbers for them to keep your show alive beyond that point. Perhaps if Lynch went in wanting to do 1 or 2 seasons. But it seems like he enjoys leaving the possibility open, which Showtime seemed ready to indulge at the time.

Agreed but one place where Twin Peaks is different from the other cancelled shows is that Twin Peaks is directed by Lynch and gets nominated for huge awards and that would be a big thing for Netflix. It would also change the perception of Netflix being something that milks content to that of one the produces piece of art. Like for example with the Irishman, it showed that Big artists like Martin Scorsese are also welcome. I mean The Irishman got 10 Oscar nominations which is a big deal for Netflix.

Also Netflix is the platform which hosted "What did Jack Do?" which is a 17 min experimental film and which was well received by the audience as well as the critics and I have no doubt given the opportunity, Netflix would definitely produce more Twin Peaks
ManBehindWinkies
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:08 pm

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby ManBehindWinkies » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:02 am

AXX°N N. wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:Personally I would want a continuation on Netflix if possible. Netflix would provide Lynch with the budget he needs with no artistic restrictions. Also it would help get Twin Peaks to a wider audience .

Netflix's business model is not creator-friendly, though. Based on their algorithms, in terms of subscriber retention, profit is maximized by cancelling a series after 2 seasons even if it's doing well, because more content overall (of a certain low-ish number of episodes) has more draw-in than several shows with several sprawling seasons, and viewer dropoff happens beyond that point no matter what. It's a quantitative thing--the impression of so many options, and then enough dedication to the series to please enough of the audience not of a particular series, but the Netflix brand/platform in general. You have to get Stranger Things numbers for them to keep your show alive beyond that point. Perhaps if Lynch went in wanting to do 1 or 2 seasons. But it seems like he enjoys leaving the possibility open, which Showtime seemed ready to indulge at the time.



It's a bit of a mute point because I don't think Lynch would have any problem getting what he wants from Showtime if he wanted to do another TP season, but I wouldn't say Netflix doesn't have a "creator-friendly" model. They do seem to give creative freedom to a number of different content creators, so that in and of itself is creator friendly. The main problem occurs with television series that are meant to last multiple seasons, ala "Sense8" and "The OA". But even in those examples, Netflix at least gave the creators artistic freedom, even if they weren't willing to finance the vision all the way through to the end. But there's a reason filmmakers like Bong Joon-Ho, Martin Scorcese, The Coen Brothers, Noah Baumbach, etc. have all turned to Netflix... because Netflix was willing to fully finance their projects and give them creative control.

I think Twin Peaks would be on Showtime if it continued, but Netflix does seem to be an ideal partner for Lynch if he decided to do a different kind of project. Even if theoretically Showtime decided they didn't want to do Twin Peaks and Lynch and Frost shopped it to Netflix, I think they'd approach the season as a self contained season that could very well be the last, so Netflix's penchant for pulling the plug early on some of these more artistically ambitious shows shouldn't be a factor.
dkenny78
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:36 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby dkenny78 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:51 am

If Twin Peaks were to continue on a streaming platform, I don't see it leaving the Viacom/CBS/Showtime ecosystem. They need premium content with significant fan bases much more than Netflix does right now. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if the Viacom conglomerate has a right of first refusal of home entertainment/streaming rights for all future TP productions. They'd have to be REALLY be over the property to cast it aside for Netflix (or someone else) to pick it up, and given the ongoing activity with merchandise, new Blu-ray set, 'official' fan festival, that doesn't seem to be where they're at.

Does that mean an ambitious Lynch-directed project doesn't wind up going to Netflix one day? No - I just don't think it would be Twin Peaks.
Metamorphia
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:52 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Metamorphia » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:16 pm

Has this been posted yet? Tenuous at best lol, and maybe not even Twin Peaks. But still

https://www.reddit.com/r/davidlynch/com ... cappedcom/
User avatar
Cappy
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:27 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Cappy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:20 pm

I personally have no qualms with TP having a new season on Netflix -- I'd just hate for the entire season to get released at once. That model seems to work well with certain shows (OITNB, Stranger Things), but I really enjoyed having a week to sit with each individual episode of S3.
BGate
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:15 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby BGate » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:24 pm

Metamorphia wrote:Has this been posted yet? Tenuous at best lol, and maybe not even Twin Peaks. But still

https://www.reddit.com/r/davidlynch/com ... cappedcom/



This seems legit to me on the surface. This site has no reason to make up Lynch rumors specifically, and assuming their source is legit (a fairly big assumption admittedly) a casting notice is pretty hard evidence. Hell of a lot more than "we know someone who told us something is coming next year", anyway.

that said, it doesn't necessarily mean a feature film. and I know he did it for MD, but I'd be somewhat surprised if Lynch at this point in his career did a casting call to find his lead actress.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2854
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:03 pm

BGate wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:Has this been posted yet? Tenuous at best lol, and maybe not even Twin Peaks. But still

https://www.reddit.com/r/davidlynch/com ... cappedcom/



This seems legit to me on the surface. This site has no reason to make up Lynch rumors specifically, and assuming their source is legit (a fairly big assumption admittedly) a casting notice is pretty hard evidence. Hell of a lot more than "we know someone who told us something is coming next year", anyway.

that said, it doesn't necessarily mean a feature film. and I know he did it for MD, but I'd be somewhat surprised if Lynch at this point in his career did a casting call to find his lead actress.


We first heard about BTW through a casting notice that Lynch was looking for an actress to play a waitress. So this could be legit, but could also be a short or music video, or anything.
User avatar
krishnanspace
Posts: 1028
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby krishnanspace » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:09 pm

Cappy wrote:I personally have no qualms with TP having a new season on Netflix -- I'd just hate for the entire season to get released at once. That model seems to work well with certain shows (OITNB, Stranger Things), but I really enjoyed having a week to sit with each individual episode of S3.

There are some shows on Netflix which gets released weekly though

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests