Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by IcedOver »

I wonder why Lynch wasn't at that typically horrendous Oscars ceremony. I was hoping for him to stand up and get applause from those navel gazers. Maybe he realizes the ceremony is no longer about movies; don't know. Disappointing.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

IcedOver wrote:I wonder why Lynch wasn't at that typically horrendous Oscars ceremony. I was hoping for him to stand up and get applause from those navel gazers. Maybe he realizes the ceremony is no longer about movies; don't know. Disappointing.
Hollywood looks like it’s trying to be woke and giving out awards to movies based on popularity. I mean I loved parasite and it’s a good movie but there are lots of better international films out there that weren’t even nominated
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

krishnanspace wrote:I mean I loved parasite and it’s a good movie but there are lots of better international films out there that weren’t even nominated
I disagree with you on this, "Parasite" was definitely the strongest of the nominees in its category. I also watched some of the hyped international films that missed out on a nomination such as "Atlantics" and "Monos" and weren't as impressed, and so I don't there there was any other title that lived up to the kinetic visuals and warped Billy Wilderesque social satire punch that "Parasite" delivered. What/which films is it you feel were robbed?
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

So every time an undeserving White man wins an award it's merit based... (like Joker's 11 nomimations)... but the first time in history they award a foreign film it's because they are trying to be "woke". Spectacular logic. The the term "woke" needs to be taken out to the back of the woodshed and put down in the name of intelligence.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I wish people would just keep all the political CRAP (endless gender-, race-, sexual oritentation-, minorities-this-and-that-based issues) out of the movie realm already as it's overshadowing the debate about plots, characters, technical aspects, moviemaking styles etc. and it's getting annoying and old as hell. I saw Parasite and thought it was a damn good flick, with an interesting content and distinct realisation (like most of director's previous work, from Memories of Murder to The Host to Snowpiercer; hoping to see Okja and Mother soon) and I think that's the only thing that matters. Not the friggin' #MeToo and #OscarsSoWhite BS. And that goes for the filmmakers, critics, and audiences alike.
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

There's always been ulterior motives in what the Academy decides which films to award. Since the Oscars have been awarded this has never changed. Films that stray from convention get overlooked the same as films that are too popular. There's no doubt that right now, being financed by Netflix is going to hamper a films chances of winning (even if it doesn't hurt the chances of a nomination). And in fact, a film that wasn't in English has been a disqualifyer for the entire existence of the award until now. Suggesting that the one exception in the history of the award is getting awarded for some ulterior motive, when in fact an ulterior motive has disqualifyed any such films from being awarded prior just screams a lack of perspective.

Btw I can almost guarantee next year the Academy will revert back to its norms and there will probably be something that doesn't break any longstanding trends and no one will have to worry about nefarious wokeness.
sugarhigh
Roadhouse Member

Post by sugarhigh »

IcedOver wrote:I wonder why Lynch wasn't at that typically horrendous Oscars ceremony. I was hoping for him to stand up and get applause from those navel gazers. Maybe he realizes the ceremony is no longer about movies; don't know. Disappointing.
What, exactly, does last nights Oscar's ceremony have to do with the possibility of a season 4 of Twin Peaks?
A salamander spit donuts.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Bong Joon-ho has been a master since Memories of Murder. His awards are well-deserved. Time to block a few people. Moving right along...
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Jerry Horne wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:I've just read 'Conversations with Mark Frost' by David Bushman. I don't want to quote the book or spoil anything as everybody should read it, and hopefully I'm wrong, but if someone forced me to try and predict if the show was coming back based on Frost's words, I'd say no.

Of course anything can happen. I'll live in hope but a little more quietly from here on out.
Hmm.. but wasn’t Mark thonking of a season 4 some time ago ? https://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/twin- ... 201891106/
Well that was two and a half years ago. The interviews in the book are more recent. Mark is very careful in his answers. He states he wants to keep hope alive for people then adds he never wants to close the door "entirely".

Listen, Mark is very capable of using language like that and who knows, maybe he's putting the finishing touches on the S4 script at the same time.

But in my opinion, the language that's used to describe the relationship between himself and David seems strained. There are a few moments of candidness that surprised me.
Could you please provide some full quotes from the book to illustrate what you're talking about please?

From what you mention above, I don't see how that indicates anything about the future of Twin Peaks.

In terms of his relationship with Lynch, in his Reddit AMA I believe he stated that David is more dogmatic than him for instance. I would not be surprised if their contact with each other is more strained now than it was when they worked on seasons 1 and 2. Working through skype is certainly going to make them more distant than meeting up on a weekly basis in person, right? I think they both know exactly how they like to work and also the type of life they live these days. Frost has definitely stepped out of the fast lane as he himself says on his twitter profile.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

About the Oscars thread derailment (sorry, I read it and have to put in my piece), speaking as a minority, it hurts to be ignored, and it hurts to have any of your achievements revoked, considered as not being genuine because they're perceived as someone else's guilty over-compensation. There's no winning in either case.

EDIT: And another thing, the bigger headline to me about Parasite is not that a korean made it, but that it's a film about class difference and the director is unambiguous about this, yet just won a mainstream award. That's practically anathema to the usual narrative. And but unsurprisingly, discussion (or plain recognition) of class difference that the film could have sparked, a topic unifying and universal, is drowned out by divisive focus on things that shouldn't matter like race, gender, sexuality, etc.
Last edited by AXX°N N. on Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Maybe we should have an Oscars discussion thread. I guess the original relevance was a tangential hope that Lynch not being at the Oscars was because he is busy making new Twin Peaks!

I made it to the age of 17 thinking that the Oscars were important, and that they meant that a film was good. Then Titanic won 11 of them. My advice: don't get hung up on the Oscars.

That said, they matter for getting members of the public who are stupid enough to think they are a mark of quality to go and watch stuff they'd normally ignore. So *any* foreign film winning an Oscar is a superb thing to happen, since it may succeed in convincing people that there is a whole world out there with, gasp, subtitles, and they can blow their minds watching amazing things from now on.

I've not seen Parasite, but many critics with similar opinions to mine have loved it, and predicted a win. It doesn't seem wrong to me.

My final rant before I talk about TP again: STOP GIVING OSCARS TO PEOPLE WHO PLAY A WELL-KNOWN HISTORICAL FIGURE. This happens all the time, and it is surely easier to just rip off someone's mannerisms than it is to create a compelling character from nothing more than words on a page.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

baxter wrote:Maybe we should have an Oscars discussion thread.
Please, and take all of the stuff posted in this thread and transfer it over there. I'd also be amenable to having all of it deleted completely and never spoken of again. Just sayin'.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

AXX°N N. wrote:
EDIT: And another thing, the bigger headline to me about Parasite is not that a korean made it, but that it's a film about class difference and the director is unambiguous about this, yet just won a mainstream award. That's practically anathema to the usual narrative. And but unsurprisingly, discussion (or plain recognition) of class difference that the film could have sparked, a topic unifying and universal, is drowned out by divisive focus on things that shouldn't matter like race, gender, sexuality, etc.
BINGO!

On a side note, to all who hate this discussion: there's really nothing whatsoever happening in the world of TP right now, so we may as well pass the time chinning about other stufff - it beats tumbleweeds blowing across these message boards any day. :D
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Not sure if this Oscar thread was moved or not, but since not much is happening I just wanted to chime in.

I do think that politics has now more overtly invaded every walk of life, and that includes filmmaking, criticism and awards. But that doesn't mean that it's always a factor, whether positive or negative.

While I would have been fine with a few of the films winning, Parasite was indeed one of the most deserving winners of this century. I've seen it five times, including the recently released black and white version, which is more than any other film this year, and it really holds up and reveals more with each viewing, and is especially great in the theater. Other foreign films (with 2019 US release dates, per my listmaking regulations) that were around the same quality were La Flor, Transit, Ash is Purest White, Long Day's Journey into Night, An Elephant Sitting Still, The Image Book, Pain and Glory, Atlantics, Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Synonyms, but I prefer Parasite to most of them, and it has the acclaim and high-ranking year-end status from a variety of sources to back up its victory. I'm especially happy because I've always been a fan of Bong. After sitting through an Oscars ceremony that I mostly didn't care for - though I liked Joaquin's and Dern's speeches a lot - the end result made the whole night worth it.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Lord have mercy. I was hoping to see more discussion regarding the Frost book and his comments as mentioned earlier but people are still posting here about the Oscars.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.