Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by sneakydave »

Jonah wrote:And if Jennifer Lynch is on the board, you'd think she'd step in and tell them to tone it down or pull back on the tweets? Wasn't she the one who shot down all talk of a possible Season 3 and was quite emphatic it was not happening, that Lynch was done with TP, a few months or a year before S3 was announced?
Wasn't she on the board previously but isn't anymore? I'm sure that's what I read somewhere?
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jonah wrote:And if Jennifer Lynch is on the board, you'd think she'd step in and tell them to tone it down or pull back on the tweets? Wasn't she the one who shot down all talk of a possible Season 3 and was quite emphatic it was not happening, that Lynch was done with TP, a few months or a year before S3 was announced?
Indeed, she was "such a downer!" Nothing made me more pessimistic than when she shot down the rumors in such an emphatic manner. Around the time that season three was confirmed, I remember hearing the claim that DKL had even kept it secret from his eldest daughter.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Jonah wrote:Another tweet from HHM.
Their confidence honestly is infectious. And they'll get a ton of hate if they're wrong, hell, more than they're already getting from skeptical people. Shit, if they're right, maybe we should band together as Peaks fans and throw a bit of money their way, or at least, I'll genuinely consider throwing a few bucks their way if just to say "Hey, thanks, us Peaks fans heard you". Not until the day it's confirmed though.

But, they've like, tripled down at this point.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

I honestly believe them, but theoretically they could just tell us, say six months from now, that their source informed them that things fell through for whatever reason (Lynch changed his mind again, for example). I suppose that wouldn't sit well with their TP friends, though.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

More from the person who attended the TP UK Fest, regarding Madchen's comment:

"It seemed casual. She said she hadn't pre read the questions so just kind of answered off the top of her head. The question asked that now that Shelly is with another bad guy, does she think Bobby will save her again? She said that during filming she and Dana both asked Lynch more than once 'Are you SURE you don't want us to hint there's a chance for Bobby and Shelly?' And Lynch was firm that he didn't want that. (Damn you Lynch!) After she said that she would love Bobby and Shelly to get back together she said something like 'Maybe in season 4' and winked playfully at the camera. It felt like her usual humour to me."

(Another wink, like the person who said they don't comment on rumour. ;) )
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
TimeFlashes

Post by TimeFlashes »

BGate wrote:
TimeFlashes wrote:Even if the HHM and the TP S3 podcast are right, there is nothing to say there will be an announcement soon. Also, planning an announcement with a year of anticipation is bizarre, and it's 99% not going to be the case in my opinion.
I agree there's no reason to expect anything imminent, but as for your second point, the original Season 3 announcement, made in Oct 2014, was that it would premiere in 2016. Obviously the hiccup with Lynch changed things, but regardless they announced it way before it was expected to premiere. Probably because they knew it would become impossible to keep it a secret for much longer (once casting/pre-production started in earnest) which is one reason why they may move up their plans this time around, since the cat is already peeking it's head out of the bag, if indeed It Is Happening Again.
What I meant was that I don't think they would wait for a year before making an announcement. Some people seem to think that could be the case.

As for the elapsed time between an announcement an the premiere, I'd think that anything between 1 and 2 years would be normal.
Always a face to remind me.
greg4882

Post by greg4882 »

I have always been a lurker and have enjoyed this forum for years. I just caught up with this recent season 4 speculation. The tweets by this foundation seem really confident and it will only be a matter of time that someone shoots it down as rumor right? At this point it’s been brought to the attention of Lynch or Frost and there will be a response from one of them I would believe?
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

"Dear Internet: You'te very good as spreading rumors. Truth is more valuable and much harder to come by."
- M. Frost.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

^- For those also wondering. He tweeted that in 2013. Seemingly after there were a bunch of TP returning rumors. (funny thing is: I think L&F were probably already writing at that point.)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:^- For those also wondering. He tweeted that in 2013. Seemingly after there were a bunch of TP returning rumors. (funny thing is: I think L&F were probably already writing at that point.)
They definitely were. So the takeaway is, he’ll only debunk the rumors if they’re true. :mrgreen:
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Season 4 will be this:
It's Season 3 from the beginning to the end but with alternate takes and more frame skips here and there.
Would be the ultimate way to continue with the alternate reality/timeline concept :lol:
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Soolsma wrote:^- For those also wondering. He tweeted that in 2013. Seemingly after there were a bunch of TP returning rumors. (funny thing is: I think L&F were probably already writing at that point.)
They definitely were. So the takeaway is, he’ll only debunk the rumors if they’re true. :mrgreen:
I did some digging. And apparently he was debunking this specific rumor:

Source: https://www.themarysue.com/david-lynch- ... ks-reboot/

I'm guessing -even though it was correct on some points- this rumor was completely made up. Unless in some earlier version of the script maybe Tammy Preston would have been a reporter instead of an agent and the evil Coop storyline would've been different.
Now this would tell us two things: Mark Frost would indeed debunk rumors if they were untrue. And, as per Frost's tweet, it's indeed totally possible a false rumor can take the internet by storm.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Soolsma wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
I did some digging. And apparently he was debunking this specific rumor:

Source: https://www.themarysue.com/david-lynch- ... ks-reboot/

I'm guessing -even though it was correct on some points- this rumor was completely made up. Unless in some earlier version of the script maybe Tammy Preston would have been a reporter instead of an agent and the evil Coop storyline would've been different.
Now this would tell us two things: Mark Frost would indeed debunk rumors if they were untrue. And, as per Frost's tweet, it's indeed totally possible a false rumor can take the internet by storm.
Mark Frost or Jenifer Lynch or anyone else debunking at this point wouldn't seem very credible, and might even make people suspect that they wouldn't bother debunking it if they weren't in fact working on something. We already know that a false rumor can go viral, but in this case the rumor wasn't posted anonymously and consequence-free on 4chan, but by an organization that could receive very negative blowback if nothing materializes, especially given their doubling and tripling and quadrupling (etc.) down.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Well, they (HHM) sure are going all in on it..
I'll see you in the trees
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Things are very quiet. I know some people thought they might announce today as it's the anniversary of the The Return announcement, but are things like that ever announced on a Sunday?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.