Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by mtwentz »

But did Spelling own distribution rights for the Pilot and both seasons, or just the seasons? Wasn’t the original pilot unavailable for distribution until the Gold Box?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

mtwentz wrote:But did Spelling own distribution rights for the Pilot and both seasons, or just the seasons? Wasn’t the original pilot unavailable for distribution until the Gold Box?
Warner had put some funds into producing the pilot, and they demanded that the closed ending be produced as a backup should the show not be picked up. It is possible that CBS eventually paid Warner some money to avoid this distribution issue in th future.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

eyeboogers wrote:
mtwentz wrote:But did Spelling own distribution rights for the Pilot and both seasons, or just the seasons? Wasn’t the original pilot unavailable for distribution until the Gold Box?
Warner had put some funds into producing the pilot, and they demanded that the closed ending be produced as a backup should the show not be picked up. It is possible that CBS eventually paid Warner some money to avoid this distribution issue in th future.
Right, the deal with Spelling was reached for the series proper. There was a separate deal presumably in place already for the Pilot. Videos of the Pilot were released by Warner up until the 2007 Gold Box set. Presumably CBS obtained it at some point.
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

There is a precedent for productions being shot in secret. The Breaking Bad movie coming out next week was largely filmed in secret. There was some early blurbs that suggested there was in fact a Breaking Bad movie being filmed, but other than that they shot the thing in New Mexico (where anything Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul related would attract attention) and completed it without garnering much attention, before finally letting it known it would be released within a couple of months of the official announcement. Considering that Peaks fans descended on the production of season 3 and caused problems like leaking spoilers, I could see if they are indeed making a season 4 why there would be interest in keeping the production as secret as they can. I imagine that may be difficult with some of the more well known locations though, like Twede's or Salish Lodge. But if used they probably only need to snag establishing shots.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

ManBehindWinkies wrote:There is a precedent for productions being shot in secret. The Breaking Bad movie coming out next week was largely filmed in secret. There was some early blurbs that suggested there was in fact a Breaking Bad movie being filmed, but other than that they shot the thing in New Mexico (where anything Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul related would attract attention) and completed it without garnering much attention, before finally letting it known it would be released within a couple of months of the official announcement. Considering that Peaks fans descended on the production of season 3 and caused problems like leaking spoilers, I could see if they are indeed making a season 4 why there would be interest in keeping the production as secret as they can. I imagine that may be difficult with some of the more well known locations though, like Twede's or Salish Lodge. But if used they probably only need to snag establishing shots.
I don't believe anything has been filmed in secret, but that's just my feeling on the matter coupled with actors' busy schedules. As far as Breaking Bad, it's so weird because I've heard all this stuff about how it was shot in secret but I swear I knew about this a long time ago, at least 6 months ago. When it was officially announced recently it was no surprise for me whatsoever so now I'm really confused!
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

That makes a lot of sense.

Not saying something is being filmed, but if it is, this is the way to go.

I think production and Lynch learned how much info can get out easily.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

IF (and imo it's a big if) they were filming anything secretly, it would have to be done in studios/on sound stages in LA, right? Any location shooting - unless really remote, and even then - would leak right? And how likely is it that something filmed only inside would also leak out somehow?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

TimeFlashes wrote:Even if the HHM and the TP S3 podcast are right, there is nothing to say there will be an announcement soon. Also, planning an announcement with a year of anticipation is bizarre, and it's 99% not going to be the case in my opinion.
I agree there's no reason to expect anything imminent, but as for your second point, the original Season 3 announcement, made in Oct 2014, was that it would premiere in 2016. Obviously the hiccup with Lynch changed things, but regardless they announced it way before it was expected to premiere. Probably because they knew it would become impossible to keep it a secret for much longer (once casting/pre-production started in earnest) which is one reason why they may move up their plans this time around, since the cat is already peeking it's head out of the bag, if indeed It Is Happening Again.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Has anyone looked into that picture of Lynch outside that post-production house recently? I suppose it could've been signing off on the 4K masters for the A-Z set, but I imagined they were finalised at the time of The Return's editing (given the use of pilot footage)
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

LateReg wrote:
ManBehindWinkies wrote:There is a precedent for productions being shot in secret. The Breaking Bad movie coming out next week was largely filmed in secret. There was some early blurbs that suggested there was in fact a Breaking Bad movie being filmed, but other than that they shot the thing in New Mexico (where anything Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul related would attract attention) and completed it without garnering much attention, before finally letting it known it would be released within a couple of months of the official announcement. Considering that Peaks fans descended on the production of season 3 and caused problems like leaking spoilers, I could see if they are indeed making a season 4 why there would be interest in keeping the production as secret as they can. I imagine that may be difficult with some of the more well known locations though, like Twede's or Salish Lodge. But if used they probably only need to snag establishing shots.
I don't believe anything has been filmed in secret, but that's just my feeling on the matter coupled with actors' busy schedules. As far as Breaking Bad, it's so weird because I've heard all this stuff about how it was shot in secret but I swear I knew about this a long time ago, at least 6 months ago. When it was officially announced recently it was no surprise for me whatsoever so now I'm really confused!
There were credible rumors floating about regarding the BB movie, and I think Bryan Cranston basically confirmed it in an interview, so it wasn't completely out of the blue when they announced it. But by the time it was official, the film had already been completed. I also knew about it by the time the official announcement was made, but it was a surprise to hear it was already completed and it was actually going to be released fairly soon. And the key thing is, they managed to shoot the entire thing in New Mexico without drawing the attention of fans.

I also think it's unlikely anything has already been secretly filmed for Twin Peaks, but I think they'd have all the reason in the world to try to film in secret,
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I thought I'd read that BB fans had sighted the shooting.

As for any announcement, as many have pointed out we got one for Season 3 that was initially two years in advance and became three. They also publicly released an indiscriminate cast list of over 200+ people including musicians with no plot or character detail. Nothing would surprise me at this point because Lynch/Frost do not operate the way other TV productions do.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

N. Needleman wrote:I thought I'd read that BB fans had sighted the shooting.

As for any announcement, as many have pointed out we got one for Season 3 that was initially two years in advance and became three. They also publicly released an indiscriminate cast list of over 200+ people including musicians with no plot or character detail. Nothing would surprise me at this point because Lynch/Frost do not operate the way other TV productions do.
BB/Better Call Saul fans absolutely did, there were plenty of posts documenting the crews at various known locations filming for the movie.. It wasn't a secret to anyone but those who weren't paying attention to the fandom. So, all the "maybe they shot Twin Peaks S4 or a movie already!" nonsense is just way off the mark.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Rudagger wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I thought I'd read that BB fans had sighted the shooting.

BB/Better Call Saul fans absolutely did, there were plenty of posts documenting the crews at various known locations filming for the movie.. It wasn't a secret to anyone but those who weren't paying attention to the fandom. So, all the "maybe they shot Twin Peaks S4 or a movie already!" nonsense is just way off the mark.
Yes, that's what I thought. This is likely another high profile production with a lot of location shooting, and I personally don't see any reason it would be any other way. Plus, barely anything got out last time, with Lynch keeping a tighter lid on it than most blockbuster movies, and the one major thing that did get out is largely thought of to be expected by Lynch, which, intentionally or not, led to further subversion of expectations.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I definitely don’t think there’s any way they shot anything in Washington state. Similar to BB: El Camino, locals would have leaked the news on Reddit the second anyone associated with TP was glimpsed in the area. It’s possible, but IMO unlikely, that filming has taken place on soundstages, or even maybe some remote random location no one would expect. But Lynch is seen in public so rarely these days, and his comings and goings are pretty well documented in the Internet press and always lead to speculation about whether he might be working on something. It would be tough for him to be shooting anywhere unless it was pretty far from prying eyes.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Metamorphia wrote:Has anyone looked into that picture of Lynch outside that post-production house recently? I suppose it could've been signing off on the 4K masters for the A-Z set, but I imagined they were finalised at the time of The Return's editing (given the use of pilot footage)
No idea what it was about. Someone from a Facebook group (Roland from Lynchland?) contacted them and were told they wasn't allowed to say what it was, but that it would be revealed soon.