Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by N. Needleman »

LOL, I don't think either Ray or Harry's posts are suggestive. I also don't think Peyton knows anything.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Something somewhat obvious occurred to me. If we're taking all of this at face value and hoping for something that isn't just a VR experience, going off of the original tweet it seems that something will happen in 2020. That something could either be an announcement of something or the actual thing itself. We're hoping for a series or at least a film. If it is indeed a series, that would of course mean that the 2020 surprise is simply the announcement of the series, a couple months after the box set is released, which fits with how the previous series was announced; the series itself would be announced and made in 2020, and perhaps finished for 2021 release. However, if it is a film, then the actual surprise in 2020 would probably be the film itself, and therefore the announcement could come in the next few days. So the question is really whether we expect a film or a series, and based on that we can surmise whether the 2020 surprise is the announcement or the thing itself. In other words, if we don't get any confirmation in the next few days or weeks, then we still shouldn't give up hope, as that would be entirely normal if a new series is in the works. But if we do get an announcement in the next few days, it might not be for a series since it probably wouldn't be ready for 2020, which is the time in which we were told to expect a surprise.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

LateReg wrote:Something somewhat obvious occurred to me. If we're taking all of this at face value and hoping for something that isn't just a VR experience, going off of the original tweet it seems that something will happen in 2020. That something could either be an announcement of something or the actual thing itself. We're hoping for a series or at least a film. If it is indeed a series, that would of course mean that the 2020 surprise is simply the announcement of the series, a couple months after the box set is released, which fits with how the previous series was announced; the series itself would be announced and made in 2020, and perhaps finished for 2021 release. However, if it is a film, then the actual surprise in 2020 would probably be the film itself, and therefore the announcement could come in the next few days. So the question is really whether we expect a film or a series, and based on that we can surmise whether the 2020 surprise is the announcement or the thing itself. In other words, if we don't get any confirmation in the next few days or weeks, then we still shouldn't give up hope, as that would be entirely normal if a new series is in the works. But if we do get an announcement in the next few days, it might not be for a series since it probably wouldn't be ready for 2020, which is the time in which we were told to expect a surprise.
That's truly totally obvious, as you say. I'm going for the continuation in the form of a series. Lynch mentioned the 4 year-long intermezzo between the seasons, if he's to do another one; I think it's not impossible that they've been writting it and quitely (hence: the non-disclosure contracts that have been in place this whole time) organising the whole shebang since S3 went off the air, so that's about two years now. They'll announce it early next year, shoot and edit it over the course of 2020 and release it sometime in 2021.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

LateReg wrote:Something somewhat obvious occurred to me. If we're taking all of this at face value and hoping for something that isn't just a VR experience, going off of the original tweet it seems that something will happen in 2020. That something could either be an announcement of something or the actual thing itself. We're hoping for a series or at least a film. If it is indeed a series, that would of course mean that the 2020 surprise is simply the announcement of the series, a couple months after the box set is released, which fits with how the previous series was announced; the series itself would be announced and made in 2020, and perhaps finished for 2021 release. However, if it is a film, then the actual surprise in 2020 would probably be the film itself, and therefore the announcement could come in the next few days. So the question is really whether we expect a film or a series, and based on that we can surmise whether the 2020 surprise is the announcement or the thing itself. In other words, if we don't get any confirmation in the next few days or weeks, then we still shouldn't give up hope, as that would be entirely normal if a new series is in the works. But if we do get an announcement in the next few days, it might not be for a series since it probably wouldn't be ready for 2020, which is the time in which we were told to expect a surprise.
Agree, most likely scenario (if any plans exists) is an announcement for the 30th anniversary next year.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

In about 20 minutes, it will be 2.53PM PST 10/2. Nothing was announced on 10/1. Nothing will probably be announced this time either. But let's see......

Update - Nothing! Frost did tweet like a minute before 2.53, which made me catch my breath for a second - but it was just a political tweet.
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Agent Earle wrote: That's truly totally obvious, as you say. I'm going for the continuation in the form of a series. Lynch mentioned the 4 year-long intermezzo between the seasons, if he's to do another one; I think it's not impossible that they've been writting it and quitely (hence: the non-disclosure contracts that have been in place this whole time) organising the whole shebang since S3 went off the air, so that's about two years now. They'll announce it early next year, shoot and edit it over the course of 2020 and release it sometime in 2021.
Great call about the ongoing NDAs! I also agree about the timeline. The AV Club pointed out that it probably wouldn't be a series because it would be another 4 years from NOW, but I think that's the wrong way to look at it. Lynch teased the 4 1/2 year process and alluded to it beginning then, in 2017, not after some announcement. If/when it is announced, the thing will already have been mostly written, and the journey to the screen will run much more smoothly this time. I also expect the series to be shorter this time around, as the theme of The Return was the passage of time itself, which is why its 18-hours - and the usage of them - made sense. I have to believe that the experience of The Return could be seen as somewhat of a trial run when it comes to Lynch's ability to work with a major studio with a certain budget, and Lynch has forcefully expressed his thoughts about that in the making-of documentary, stating that he'd never work under these conditions again. That's all leverage as far as I'm concerned. If this is really a new series, I expect/hope that it means that Lynch will finally have the budget to fully realize everything he envisions. At this stage in his career, he certainly deserves it, and I would guess that any and all concerns Lynch/Showtime have regarding budget/time would be ironed out well in advance, most likely in Lynch's favor.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

It's 2.54 PST now.

Dammit.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Attachments
EF53iDsWoAY9ajQ.jpg
EF53iDsWoAY9ajQ.jpg (32.96 KiB) Viewed 6934 times
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Just reminding people that it's still a thing apparently.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

It's hilarious how TP fans scour social media and think there's a deeper meaning behind every little tweet. It's reminds me of how the fans think there is a deeper meaning behind every line or dialog or anything that appears on screen in Twin Peaks. Whenever there's a specific time or number that is mentioned or seen on the show, someone always has a theory as to what it means and how it all connects together.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Esselgee wrote:It's hilarious how TP fans scour social media and think there's a deeper meaning behind every little tweet. It's reminds me of how the fans think there is a deeper meaning behind every line or dialog or anything that appears on screen in Twin Peaks. Whenever there's a specific time or number that is mentioned or seen on the show, someone always has a theory as to what it means and how it all connects together.
Yeah, it's funny. Then again, Lynch's statements, hints, implications, teasings, whatnot about how we should approach/interpret his work kinda direct one towards such behaviour.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I know, I parodied it a couple pages back, analyzing a picture to an extreme, but in reality, I still fall into it myself.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Esselgee wrote:It's hilarious how TP fans scour social media and think there's a deeper meaning behind every little tweet. It's reminds me of how the fans think there is a deeper meaning behind every line or dialog or anything that appears on screen in Twin Peaks. Whenever there's a specific time or number that is mentioned or seen on the show, someone always has a theory as to what it means and how it all connects together.
I actually love it. The a.f.tp newsgroup was always chock-full of it. That's one of many reasons why I love this forum so much, and the people in it. It reminds me a lot of those old posts.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

If the show does come back for another season (or a movie or series of movies), who do you expect would star in it?

I think Kyle and Sheryl are probably a given no matter what (and if it's a movie, I wouldn't be surprised if it focuses almost exclusively on them).

Who else do you think could feature?

Would we go back to the "old" TP or would we be only in the "new" TP or whatever dimension they're in at the end of S3? Hence, is the slate wiped clean of all the other residents, or would we be likely to see their counterparts. Sadly, Peggy Lipton has passed on, so no Norma. :( (At least she got a happy ending within the show with Big Ed.) Would Big Ed appear? Nadine? Dr. Jacoby? Shelley? Bobby? Who else? Any chance we might see Leland? Sarah? (Could be likely if she's Judy.) What about James? Audrey? Ben? Jerry?

And what's the likelihood we might get some of the people we didn't get last time - Piper Laurie (character still alive), Leo (character dead but is Frost's book going to be cannon to a new show or movie?), Donna (either actress)? Joan Chen? Heather Graham? What do you think?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Ok, so I know some of you don't think these tweets mean anything, but now Sheryl Lee has just retweeted a TP-related tweet and what looks to be a very telling one!

What the heck is going on? Something is definitely up. There's no way this amount of cast members are tweeting and retweeting TP-related stuff so close together for no reason. Is this really just a coincidence at this stage? Unless they're just messing with fans. Which I doubt. I don't know. Maybe these actors tend to tweet/retweet TP stuff a lot, but this seems strange to me. What do you think? Assuming this is her official Twitter account, I think something is up.

UPDATE - Apparently, it's not her Twitter, but a page run for her, though she seems to have some input into what is posted. But probably not this retweet.
Attachments
1i31plpfw7q31.jpg
1i31plpfw7q31.jpg (80.52 KiB) Viewed 6801 times
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.