Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Voltaire
Roadhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Voltaire »

eyeboogers wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Bollocks. Fargo the Series is a masterpiece, one of the milestones of the current television.
Disagree, "Fargo" didn't innovate anything. Hawley isn't a bad storyteller, he just have yet to reveal a great story under his name that isn't built on something borrowed.
Hawley's work in "Legion" makes me think he'd be a great director for TP. Refn's work in "Too Old Too Die Young" makes me think the same. These two were clearly influenced by Lynch and I think they could provide a fresh take if they could somehow get them involved. I think a few episodes directed by others would help.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Panapaok wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Just... more music please. Not more Roadhouse, but Badalamenti! Other than that, no wishes.
Yeah, agreed. Angelo's new material was mesmerising but I would love more this time around.
Love Angelo, and his S3 stuff is still great, but for the most part it just doesn't do for me what, say, the FWWM soundtrack does. The way Heartbreaking was used was absolutely perfect, though. What a beautiful scene. And Dark Space Low.. They left the best for last. That track is out of this world.
There is very little of him on the soundtrack though. At least new compositions. Maybe he could've done more. I wonder how much the way they collaborated this time around impacted things.

But generally speaking, I never felt like there was an absence of music in S3. The sound design was magnificent from the very start, and I thought the more ambient kind of stuff Lynch did with Dean Hurley was a perfect fit.
Last edited by Rainwater on Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'll see you in the trees
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Re: Hawley, Fargo Season 1/2 are fantastic. Season 3 is messy and all over the place, dropping motifs (bye social media and bridge motifs, you were fun for three episodes) on a whim, and time jumping to escape plot issues, repetitive villain beats ("Enter room, pontificate, do something despicable or disgusting while the other characters are too afraid to act, finish pontificating, leave scene" - describes every Varga scene). But, I adore Season 1/2 and think they're some of the best seasons of television of the decade. Lucy in the Sky was .. messy, I saw it at TIFF, but, Hawley had a real style over substance problem (random aspect ratio shifts that say and mean nothing other than 'this frame looks nice' rather than matching the title character's mindset). It's a movie that actually plays best when it's just trying to be a character drama, and all the flashy shit just gets in the way. For a good 50 minutes in the middle though it really clicks, but, it fails to capitalize and takes way too long to get going.

On the topic of 'would you be alright if Lynch didn't direct all of it?'

I would. If there's a strong show bible, and Lynch is given the .. well, most important and Lynch-y stuff, as happened on Season 1/2. Television directors have only gotten stronger over the past 25+ years. I look at something like Mindhunter and see very well how Fincher's voice was carried beautifully by the rest of the directors, to the point where you almost forget he didn't actually direct the whole thing himself. Season 1 I thought did a very good job of maintaining his voice across the season, and something like Duwayne Dunham's episode slots in beautifully between two Lynch episodes (hell, unless I'm mistaken, isn't the 'Damn fine cup of coffee' scene in Dunham's episode? Or am I mistaken? I haven't looked at an episode break down in ages).

I have a ton of issues with pretty much the entirety of Season 2 (even, dare I say, the Lynch episodes that aren't 'Lonely Souls' and the finale ..) however, so, I can understand why people are gunshy about the idea of others' directing (and even morseo, writing, which is where the show really went off the rails).

If others directed with Lynch's blessing and his hands on involvement as producer (i.e., not completely checked out of the show)? Sure, why not, if he feels they can make a good show then I won't disagree. If he wants to direct ever hour again and give us more of his work? Even better and preferable. Hell, I think I even said as such way back when Lynch was briefly off the project (I was of the 'I'd still like to see it even if Lynch doesn't come back to direct, because he was involved in the writing' mindset). If they pulled in some of the great television directors of today, and gave them the stylistic parameters to work within (as with Season 1), I think it could work out fine. It's the Red Room/Mauve Room/Part 8 stuff that feels wholly stylistically inimitable that Lynch would need to do personally (i.e., no "what happened to Josie, Coop!?" BOB stuff). I think the only work I've seen that has kind of matched the dream logic he runs on is small segments of The Leftovers (no, not International Assassin, which feels too literary ... literal .. "written" (not sure how to describe it), but rather something like 'Theroux sings Homeward Bound', which works on on a pure instinctive level. Hell, even the damn co-creator of Twin Peaks had a hard time trying to emulate Lynch's instincts (see the original S2 finale script, which also feels too, for lack of better words, literary/literal/"written").

But, as others said, if more is made he's definitely doing it himself, and honestly setting up the production to use multiple directors might be more trouble than it's worth. But, it might even be a good thing as it could free up Lynch to focus on the most important segments. We all saw how frustrated and rushed for time he was on the Return: I think there could be a benefit to him spending less of his time on the procedural scenes and more time tinkering away in the Fireman's house.
Last edited by Rudagger on Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Voltaire wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Bollocks. Fargo the Series is a masterpiece, one of the milestones of the current television.
Disagree, "Fargo" didn't innovate anything. Hawley isn't a bad storyteller, he just have yet to reveal a great story under his name that isn't built on something borrowed.
Hawley's work in "Legion" makes me think he'd be a great director for TP. Refn's work in "Too Old Too Die Young" makes me think the same. These two were clearly influenced by Lynch and I think they could provide a fresh take if they could somehow get them involved. I think a few episodes directed by others would help.
His work in Legion is exactly what makes me know he wouldn't be a great director for TP. Legion has great visuals, no doubt, but it's about as far from the realness of Twin Peaks as one can get. It's very superficial and cold.
Voltaire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voltaire »

LateReg wrote:
Voltaire wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:
His work in Legion is exactly what makes me know he wouldn't be a great director for TP. Legion has great visuals, no doubt, but it's about as far from the realness of Twin Peaks as one can get. It's very superficial and cold.
Realness of Twin Peaks? Like the Red Room and room above the convenience store? Or the guy in a tea pot?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

https://news.avclub.com/its-rumor-time- ... 1838704486

^ Pretty much most (but not all) of what we know so far, though nicely laid out, and with one added thing:

Lynch’s cinematographer, Peter Deming, was in Snoqualmie Falls (where Peaks was filmed) back in February. (Some of you guys might already know this. I don't think I did.)
Edit - here's the link from the article: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bthx6lmAWj0 ... e=ig_embed
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Yesterday there was a period of like 30 minutes without any new posts. I was devastated.

Even though these are all 100% unsubstantiated rumors and wild speculations, it's still great to see everyone back and posting on a regular basis. It's just awesome to feel the enthusiasm running high if nothing else.

I'm all for a continuation, and since we're discussing it, will throw my hat in and say that I feel strongly about Lynch and Frost continuing to be at the helm. As the latest installment has clearly expressed, there's no going back. Twin Peaks of the early 90's, with all its flaws and benefits of myriad directors and writers, was its own beast. We already had two seasons of things done that way, and we're in a different realm now.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

This is most likely about the current situation in the US, but Mark Frost's recent tweet was still interesting (especially considering he knows the rumor mill is going on):

https://twitter.com/mfrost11/status/1179199193149140992
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Voltaire wrote:
LateReg wrote:
Voltaire wrote:
Realness of Twin Peaks? Like the Red Room and room above the convenience store? Or the guy in a tea pot?
I'm not talking literally. Realness as in: organic, truthful; not fake or faked. This stuff doesn't come natural to Hawley the way it does to Lynch. I always refer to Hawley's style as fake-weird. Superficial. Too on the nose. Etc.
Last edited by LateReg on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Voltaire wrote:
LateReg wrote: His work in Legion is exactly what makes me know he wouldn't be a great director for TP. Legion has great visuals, no doubt, but it's about as far from the realness of Twin Peaks as one can get. It's very superficial and cold.
I thought the first season of Legion did a nice job of dealing with real-world issues (mental illness in particular) in a visually/mythologically stunning but substantively satisfying way (much like TP with issues of, say, familial sexual abuse or identity loss/confusion). But the latter two seasons of Legion are the definition of style over substance. It’s all flash — almost always one of the most interesting shows on TV to look at, but very little to say about the characters. The show’s biggest crime for me was
Spoiler:
the rape
in the season two finale. The show clearly wasn’t mature enough to deal with the psychological aftermath on either of the characters involved, nor the larger sociological implications, preferring to spend its final season on misguided Pink Floyd showstoppers (that’s not what that song is about) and fairy tale-themed rap battles. If you want to be beautifully elaborate candy, that’s fine, but then don’t wade into more complicated/triggering material if you don’t have the intention of taking it seriously.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

I'm not ready to think about what the season will be like or who the director will be (Lynch obvi) until we find out if there is even another season. The Hawley argument is taxing to read. Start a new thread or something. Anyone seen anymore rumors of another season of Twin Peaks?
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

TwinsPeak wrote:The Hawley argument is taxing to read. Start a new thread or something. Anyone seen anymore rumors of another season of Twin Peaks?
Agreed. I almost said something too. If that discussion is going to continue, it should probably move to a new thread, especially when a lot of people are coming on here and refreshing to see if there's any new info.

As for anymore rumors, I've been checking a lot all day. There's a few new posts on Reddit detailing all the rumors, an article I linked to above from Av Club that also summarizes many of the rumors. And then a Mark Frost tweet about a golden shovel, saying we all need one right now, which is pretty much about the current state of politics in the US, but was still interesting given that Frost - based on tweets he's clicked "like" on - is aware of the current rumor mill and so far hasn't denied it, but posted something that could also be read as another hint. Other than that, nothing else yet. It's still all a series of coincidences and suggestive social media posts so far, though it's being allowed to continue undebunked (not a word) by the creators as someone else pointed out a few posts above - this silence/lack of debunking might speak volumes.
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

I haven't been on the forum for a few months, but the last 24 hours I've been refreshing this thread pretty much every ten minutes :lol:

I was perfectly happy with Series 3, but let's face it, if you're offered you more Twin Peaks you say YES!

My two cents - a new David Lynch Twin Peaks movie would be incredible. But I doubt there's anyone willing to part with the money for a movie, that's serious budgeting.

A new series would be great, even if it was just a mini series. Even if it was just Kyle running round the red Room for an hour haha.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

You know, just an off the cuff comment here: weirdly, whenever I think about a possible new season or movie that continues on from the end of Season 3, I always picture Carrie Page and Dale checking in to The Great Northern and having dinner or breakfast together in the dining room there, trying to figure out what dimension or town they're in. I know that doesn't mean anything, but it made me smile when I saw the dining room of the Salish Lodge was closed, as I pictured them filming that imaginary scene that's been in my head since Season 3 ended. Lol.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Panapaok wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Just... more music please. Not more Roadhouse, but Badalamenti! Other than that, no wishes.
Yeah, agreed. Angelo's new material was mesmerising but I would love more this time around.
Especially the track "The Fireman". That scene was so hauntingly beautiful. The music swelling and then seeing Laura's face in the orb. Just thinking about it sends shivers down my spine. I think there are plenty more scenes in TPTR which could have benefited from Angelo's work.

Though other always have been skeptical about this, (saying it was mostly a stylistic choice) I've always suspected the diminished presence of Badalamenti to be caused by his old age. If true, the sad thing would be we can even expect less from him this time around.

@Mtwentz. Of course I am very pleased with what we got. But can you deny you wouldn't have been thrilled with more Badalamenti in S3?

(wtf I just got super psyched by the top Tweet on Angelo's twitter. It was dated October 1st, with Lynch saying he's glad Angelo's back. Overlooked it was from 2016 :lol: )
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."