Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by IcedOver »

I'm just not in support of any continuation in whatever form. They had 18 hours, longer than most limited series, to do what they wanted, and that was what they chose to do in bringing back the show for that bubble. Many of the plotlines, including how it ended, were presented in an absurdist fashion, anti-narrative. To continue "Carrie's story" would feel really silly, as I feel it was done in large part to mess with the viewer. I'm hoping this teasing is about nothing more than some promotion.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

I will never ever understand the people on a David Lynch fan site saying they don't want David Lynch to make more art for us all to enjoy.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

You'll have to be quicker than that, Jerry!

(Deleted tweet made it to reddit, though I was not the one who posted it)
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

jennifer lynch is a founding board member of the hollywood horror museum..

https://twitter.com/horrormuseum/status ... 7296046080
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I guess it’s inevitable that every time we get a new box set that touts itself as the complete series, we’re immediately going to get more series. ;) I could imagine worse curses.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I guess it’s inevitable that every time we get a new box set that touts itself as the complete series, we’re immediately going to get more series. ;)
I won't lie, it was one of my first thoughts when the new set was announced. :P
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

N. Needleman wrote:You'll have to be quicker than that, Jerry!

(Deleted tweet made it to reddit, though I was not the one who posted it)
gonna assume he just wanted to make a coffee pun and realized people would run with it.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Eminently possible!
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

beano wrote:jennifer lynch is a founding board member of the hollywood horror museum..

https://twitter.com/horrormuseum/status ... 7296046080
Now this is something interesting to think about.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I've had a deep-seated hunch that work has been ongoing on writing more Twin Peaks since season 3 wrapped up, given the will of everyone involved (and particularly David Lynch and Mark Frost). This rumour fits this timescale nicely, and I sincerely hope it is true!

Don't forget that they were starting from cold last time, and the whole machinery had to be revved up, from the production company to the sets, location scouting, etc. A second project would be quicker, particularly if it was done with Showtime.

I find it unlikely that this project is just a random David Lynch project if they felt happy to tweet it in a Twin Peaks capacity, but I hope they are not making something out of nothing.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Reading their twitter feed got me even more excited. They really do know something big.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

BGate wrote:I will never ever understand the people on a David Lynch fan site saying they don't want David Lynch to make more art for us all to enjoy.
Well not "Twin Peaks". The show is over in my view. Even if I had a super positive view of S3, I'd probably feel the same way. I think it's a comprehensive wrapping up that might even have unmade its own world and leaves stuff in mystery where it belongs. Why go back? For some tired alternate universe stuff? Pass.

Whatever the case, the people at this horror museum aren't doing fans any favors by teasing whatever knowledge they may or may not have. If they're not going to say what it is, just shut up.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

I think the reality of the film and television business is, the only kind of project David Lynch is going to be given the budget and freedom he requires to work in the medium is more Twin Peaks. And if David Lynch and Mark Frost want to make more Twin Peaks, I can't wait to see what they come up with.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I’m sure if a movie/season 4 comes out , the 4th missing page will play an important part
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

IcedOver - I agree with your annoyance at them tweeting this. They are building hopes, and the only reason to do it is to attract kudos for themselves. It's not their place to announce it though!

My view of S3 is that we can all have ideas about what was happening, but it is so vague and unexplained that they could do pretty much anything next. If they continue, I bet they'll throw a curve ball, and not pick up the story in any conventional way, just to frustrate fans even more :-D

It goes without saying that the ending of whatever they come up with will be bleak and unsatisfying.

I thought that Showtime had said words to the effect that the door was always open to Lynch whatever he wanted to do? I think they view his output as a classic "prestige project" that gives them raves in international film circles regardless of how many people watch it. They can afford it if enough other things do well.