Season 2 - Leyland and Cooper

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Season 2 - Leyland and Cooper

Post by KyleRickards »

Just watching season 2 again to weave everything together in my mind, and I'd totally forgotten the scene where Coop/Truman almost collide with Leyland driving (whilst he has Maddie's body in the boot.)

Is it me or are Coop and Leyland singing the same song before they almost collide? And also when Leyland retrieves his golf club, does it look like he's about to hit Coop with it from behind?

K

ETA: Also when Dale visits Mike in the Great Northern, doesn't Dale say Mike was also in his/Laura's dream? (But Mike wasn't was he?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by KyleRickards on Sun May 28, 2017 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 2 - Leyland and Cooper

Post by BOB1 »

Yes he was! Remember the dream was not only Red room 25 years later. There was also a first part of that dream, the one used rather thoughtlessly for the so called European ending of the pilot.
And as for Laura, she wrote in the Diary (the pages Harold left for Donna) that she dreamt of a man named Mike and that perhaps he's the one who can stop BOB.

As for the song I'm pretty sure they are singing (or humming or whistling, don;t exactly remember) the same tune!

I was never sure about the hitting with the golf club - on the one hand yes, it obviously looks like he wants to hit him. But would he if he weren't disturbed? I still don't think so. I think Leland was only toying with this idea. He sure would have a lot of fun from it!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
KyleRickards
RR Diner Member

Post by KyleRickards »

BOB1 wrote:Yes he was! Remember the dream was not only Red room 25 years later. There was also a first part of that dream, the one used rather thoughtlessly for the so called European ending of the pilot.
And as for Laura, she wrote in the Diary (the pages Harold left for Donna) that she dreamt of a man named Mike and that perhaps he's the one who can stop BOB.

As for the song I'm pretty sure they are singing (or humming or whistling, don;t exactly remember) the same tune!

I was never sure about the hitting with the golf club - on the one hand yes, it obviously looks like he wants to hit him. But would he if he weren't disturbed? I still don't think so. I think Leland was only toying with this idea. He sure would have a lot of fun from it!
Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Talalay

Post by Talalay »

Watching the clip again I think its fair to conclude that Leland was subtly lifting the club and preparing for a swing... only to stop in his tracks as Coopers attention was diverted... mirroring an earlier scene in the episode when he was about to repeat his killer dance with Donna who was saved by the bell.

The Leland revelation has always been the most troubling aspect of the series for me... whilst the cops all sat and had a conversation about whether Bob was an actual demonic spirit or Leland was just pure evil the awful truth appeared lost on the rest of the cast who all cheerily attended Mr. Palmer's funeral... I'm pretty certain if a man in my neighbourhood murdered his own daughter and subsequently died soon after nobody would be dropping by to pay their respects.

Instead there was no reaction at all... not even a moment where Donna informed James 'Oh by the way, they found out who killed Laura'... no collective gasps or shaking of heads... anyone would swear because Lynch never wanted the mystery solved he had the cast act as though it hadn't.

I guess that's what happens when the Network start running the show.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I have a feeling you are confusing episodes, which is an answer to some of your doubts.
Talalay wrote: mirroring an earlier scene in the episode when he was about to repeat his killer dance with Donna who was saved by the bell.
The golf club scene is in Ep.15, the Donna dance - in 16, therefore later. Of course there is a parallel, however my intuition tells that while with Donna Leland had really lost control and intended to make a Maddy-repeat instantly, with Coop it was still just playing bad in front of himself. Sure, he started the movement but would he finish it if he could? There is no answer to that but our own intuitions.

Talalay wrote:whilst the cops all sat and had a conversation about whether Bob was an actual demonic spirit or Leland was just pure evil the awful truth appeared lost on the rest of the cast who all cheerily attended Mr. Palmer's funeral...
But there you're talking Ep.16 (cops talk about BOB) and 17 (funeral party) and that's ages away from one another (even though it was supposed to be 3 days). In Ep.17 they seem to have forgotten totally about BOB, about any real and important tragedies, about anything that made sense, in fact...

Talalay wrote:not even a moment where Donna informed James 'Oh by the way, they found out who killed Laura'
But she couldn't have, could she? Cause James rode away and for the next four days he was travelling to that bar where he met Evelyn... kind of resembling Moses crossing the desert for 40 years ;-)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Talalay

Post by Talalay »

BOB1 wrote:I have a feeling you are confusing episodes, which is an answer to some of your doubts.
Talalay wrote: mirroring an earlier scene in the episode when he was about to repeat his killer dance with Donna who was saved by the bell.
The golf club scene is in Ep.15, the Donna dance - in 16, therefore later. Of course there is a parallel, however my intuition tells that while with Donna Leland had really lost control and intended to make a Maddy-repeat instantly, with Coop it was still just playing bad in front of himself. Sure, he started the movement but would he finish it if he could? There is no answer to that but our own intuitions.

Okay that is my bad... point still stands though as it was shot in a teasing manner to make the audience fear he just might take a swing

Talalay wrote:whilst the cops all sat and had a conversation about whether Bob was an actual demonic spirit or Leland was just pure evil the awful truth appeared lost on the rest of the cast who all cheerily attended Mr. Palmer's funeral...
But there you're talking Ep.16 (cops talk about BOB) and 17 (funeral party) and that's ages away from one another (even though it was supposed to be 3 days). In Ep.17 they seem to have forgotten totally about BOB, about any real and important tragedies, about anything that made sense, in fact...

My mistake of mixing up one episode for another doesn't excuse the glaring plot gap of the good people of TP surely being far too appalled to attend the funeral of a man who had just been revealed as the rapist and murderer of his daughter then doing the latter to his niece... speaking of whom how come no funeral for poor Maddie?

The fact Sarah Palmer was pretty much written out after this episode (save her final creepy cameo) sums up the bad joke TP had become... instead of the cast facing up to the horrific conclusion of a matter they had all invested so much emotion into they were just tucking into fancy food and watching those old guys act like Waldorf and Statler.

Talalay wrote:not even a moment where Donna informed James 'Oh by the way, they found out who killed Laura'
But she couldn't have, could she? Cause James rode away and for the next four days he was travelling to that bar where he met Evelyn... kind of resembling Moses crossing the desert for 40 years ;-)
Well that's neatly overlooking the fact that Donna physically ended up right in the thick of the whole Evelyn plot... unless I imagined the picnic they shared before James finally rode off into the sunset.