Doppelgangers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

fchevalier

Doppelgangers

Post by fchevalier »

Hi everyone!
I'm new here. My name is Felipe and im from Brazil. I'm a Twin Peaks fan, started to watch the show in 2013.
My question is: how the doppelgangers works in the series? I tried to search the forum for an answer but no clue. Idk if the Cooper Doppel is one of a kind, or he's possessed by BOB..so many questions.
Thanks!
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Re: Doppelgangers

Post by dronerstone »

As long as this isn't cleared up completely, I believe he is both an evil doppelganger AND possessed by BOB.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

dronerstone wrote:As long as this isn't cleared up completely, I believe he is both an evil doppelganger AND possessed by BOB.
Yeah, I kinda saw the white-eyed doppelgängers as being like remote radio receivers for Bob to take them over as needed. When Evil Coop was in his car fighting off vomiting Garmonbozia (25 years' worth of pain and suffering) I half expected Frank Silva's face to appear.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

My take (in common with most cultures' views): Doppelgangers are the evil spirit we each have inside of us. [And yeah, the Man from Another Place also had a Doppleganger despite he himself being IMO the devil incarnate, l can't explain that away very easily so l shan't bother right now]

BOB = something slightly more than that but ... in the absence of any official reason for BOB's existence, l'll leave it to you to figure out what his role is.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

StrangerDanger wrote:And yeah, the Man from Another Place also had a Doppleganger despite he himself being IMO the devil incarnate
And yet, did we ever see him do anything explicitly evil ever? He was Mike's evil arm in the past, but if the rest of Mike can be redeemed, why can't his arm? Indeed, the Lodge inhabitants seem to be on Coop's side in the new show. It was the 'doppel-arm' that was the threat.
BillMPE

Post by BillMPE »

I was thinking about this very question, especially as it relates to Leland's possession by Bob. I don't know if they thought this issue through or to what degree when they came up with this, or are making it up as they go. Suppose that Leland invited in Bob as he said, and was possessed, then it is actually Leland walking and talking under the influence of Bob. When Bob left him after his confession at the sheriff's department and "pulled that rip chord," only then did Leland remember what he himself did under that influence. But it was not a doppelganger with the good Leland trapped in the Lodge. In Cooper's situation, Bob prevented him from leaving and instead sent out his doppelganger, which was also possessed by Bob (?). Does that sound right? Hopefully we'll find out more as we go.
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

Gabriel wrote:
StrangerDanger wrote:And yeah, the Man from Another Place also had a Doppleganger despite he himself being IMO the devil incarnate
And yet, did we ever see him do anything explicitly evil ever? He was Mike's evil arm in the past, but if the rest of Mike can be redeemed, why can't his arm? Indeed, the Lodge inhabitants seem to be on Coop's side in the new show. It was the 'doppel-arm' that was the threat.
Just noticed your reply. Sure, anybody is redeemable. Still, MFAP is likely the devil incarnate (who is yet redeemable), because MIKE's arm was cut off to rid himself of "The Devilish One". Also MFAP feels creepy. Also, the meeting above the Convenience Store is about as infernal as you will find anywhere on TV. In that, MFAP appears to be declaring the Black Lodge constitution, about how they got here (descending through space, from Planet Garmonbozia, c.f. Engineer home planet in Alien:Covenant, full of wheat - ok this is no even close to established lore), where they're going to (isolation in the green forest away from mankind, via calibrating warp bubble), and their M. O. (prey on victims via the Ring, impersonate animal life, etc).

As he says: "Do you know who l am?" (A) Ordinary misunderstood guy with quirks (B) Devil
Which is more notable, in response to that question? ;-)
Last edited by StrangerDanger on Fri May 26, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leeeET's ROCK!
[ I've permanently left the forum ... Dugpa is a dodgy name, plus l'm too busy. Keep the :?: :idea: ]
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

BillMPE wrote:I was thinking about this very question, especially as it relates to Leland's possession by Bob. I don't know if they thought this issue through or to what degree when they came up with this, or are making it up as they go. Suppose that Leland invited in Bob as he said, and was possessed, then it is actually Leland walking and talking under the influence of Bob. When Bob left him after his confession at the sheriff's department and "pulled that rip chord," only then did Leland remember what he himself did under that influence. But it was not a doppelganger with the good Leland trapped in the Lodge. In Cooper's situation, Bob prevented him from leaving and instead sent out his doppelganger, which was also possessed by Bob (?). Does that sound right? Hopefully we'll find out more as we go.
Leland's doppelganger took a backseat in this until final episode (Ser. 2) where he's seen in Black Lodge l think. So forget Leland's doppelganger. Everybody has a doppelganger.
leeeET's ROCK!
1derpalm

Post by 1derpalm »

Leland 's doppelganger didn't kill anybody. FWWM basically confirms this, as does David Lynch ' dinner with the Palmer 's (more implied there). He killed Theresa foe trying to blackmail him. He killed Jacques for one or another reason leading back to himself.

He killed Laura on his own as well, I believe. In FWWM, it's his voice and demeanor screaming "don't make me do this!!" Bob was already half inside Laura. Perhaps he did it to keep Bob (I believe someone wants to be with Bob again in S 3). Or perhaps she took the ring, which would tie her to The Arm (why it goes numb). Maybe taking the ring was taking Mikes influence instead. Leland saw him and killed her on his own.

Perhaps Maddy was Laura ' s doppelganger (they don't have to be evil, perhaps just opposite). Maybe the angel Laura saw was her as a young girl (good part that died a looooong time ago).
StrangerDanger
RR Diner Member

Post by StrangerDanger »

1derpalm wrote:Leland 's doppelganger didn't kill anybody. FWWM basically confirms this, as does David Lynch ' dinner with the Palmer 's (more implied there). He killed Theresa foe trying to blackmail him. He killed Jacques for one or another reason leading back to himself.

He killed Laura on his own as well, I believe. In FWWM, it's his voice and demeanor screaming "don't make me do this!!" Bob was already half inside Laura. Perhaps he did it to keep Bob (I believe someone wants to be with Bob again in S 3). Or perhaps she took the ring, which would tie her to The Arm (why it goes numb). Maybe taking the ring was taking Mikes influence instead. Leland saw him and killed her on his own.

Perhaps Maddy was Laura ' s doppelganger (they don't have to be evil, perhaps just opposite). Maybe the angel Laura saw was her as a young girl (good part that died a looooong time ago).
Seems deeply flawed to me.

Maddy was flesh and blood.

Leland's doppelganger is in the Black Lodge, like all of our doppelgangers. They are inside us, and also inside the Black Lodge. Except when one of us enters the Black Lodge, allowing the doppelganger to physically trade places with us in this world.

We each have a doppelganger and l don't think they have to be evil - take MIKE for example. Very rare that they are good / turn good, though.

BOB did the killings, or influenced them. Usually it was BOB, possessing a person, turning them psychotic so that it's no longer them doing the killing.

One fascinating thing l realised from your message: Leland's doppelganger was probably telling the truth when he told Cooper in the Black Lodge that he didn't kill Laura. Wow, that was a massive hint. It was BOB. Not the doppelganger.

[Btw, in the dinner conversation, it wasn't Leland's doppelganger talking, it was Leland. So we see, neither Leland (dinner convo) nor his doppelganger (Black Lodge with Cooper) killed Laura.]
leeeET's ROCK!
1derpalm

Post by 1derpalm »

Respectfully disagree. We are looking at it too black and white (no pun intended). Also I did state that my theory was flawed. But in the fwwm Annie said "the good cooper is trapped in the lodge". There is no black or white lodge. Just because hawks ancestors believed in it doesn't make it correct (just like western religion. evil people have good doppelgangers. Leland killed not under bobs infleunce is my personal belief.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

1derpalm wrote:Respectfully disagree. We are looking at it too black and white (no pun intended). Also I did state that my theory was flawed. But in the fwwm Annie said "the good cooper is trapped in the lodge". There is no black or white lodge. Just because hawks ancestors believed in it doesn't make it correct (just like western religion. evil people have good doppelgangers. Leland killed not under bobs infleunce is my personal belief.
I agree. I've posited a theory elsewhere that corrupting the good versions of people is either more fun for BOB or a necessity if there's no way to get people to enter the Lodge of their own free will.
1derpalm

Post by 1derpalm »

In the later reruns of the show,Log lady had intros. Her intro to the last episode was "and so now there are 2... or were there always 2?". If a good version exist in the outside. the bad exists in the lodge, and vice versa. That is why I believe there is only 1 lodge depending on your state of being. Also, cooper,s mother was familiar with Bob and that he almost got to her one night. Perhaps he is one of Bob's "children" by way of being the son of a possessed parent. Maybe that is why Bob has a fascination with certain people.