Roku:Showtime via Amazon Prime or the Showtime App?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

CompletelySilent
Roadhouse Member

Roku:Showtime via Amazon Prime or the Showtime App?

Post by CompletelySilent »

Hello all! I'd ask this question on the no spoilers forum, but it is locked now and can't post in it so I'll ask it in a new topic. I am going to subscribe tomorrow for Showtime on my Roku, but I'm not sure what means I should do it from. Doing it through Amazon Prime or just getting the Showtime app both has their advantages. I have two questions though that will base my decision and I need your help. Which version is better for live streaming the episode when they release and are the episodes guaranteed to remain on demand on either version? Thank you!
Diane! I'm holding in my hands a small box of chocolate bunnies.
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Re: Roku:Showtime via Amazon Prime or the Showtime App?

Post by counterpaul »

CompletelySilent wrote:Hello all! I'd ask this question on the no spoilers forum, but it is locked now and can't post in it so I'll ask it in a new topic. I am going to subscribe tomorrow for Showtime on my Roku, but I'm not sure what means I should do it from. Doing it through Amazon Prime or just getting the Showtime app both has their advantages. I have two questions though that will base my decision and I need your help. Which version is better for live streaming the episode when they release and are the episodes guaranteed to remain on demand on either version? Thank you!
I mentioned this in the giant No Spoilers thread, but I'll repeat it here.

I spoke with both Showtime and Amazon customer service and according to both of them, new Showtime original programming will show up on demand immediately, at the same time it begins airing, if you've ordered Showtime through Showtime.com or their own app. If you order through Amazon, there is commonly a 24-36 hour delay before new episodes are available on demand.

Now, according to someone who has Showtime through Amazon (also on the big thread), the new episodes of Guerrilla that premiered last Sunday did in fact show up on Amazon at the moment they started broadcasting, so hopefully that bodes well for Twin Peaks. When I spoke to Amazon and Showtime, they didn't say it definitely wouldn't show up right away through Amazon, just that it might not.

To add to the confusion, there is also the "Showtime Anytime" app, which you can access if you've ordered Showtime through Amazon (or any other third party, such as Hulu, or a cable provider)--using that app on a Roku, you can get access to the live TV stream, but according to Showtime, on-demand shows will not show up any sooner on the "Showtime Anytime" app than on Amazon. The possible 24-36 hour delay still applies.

As for the quality of the Live TV stream, I've tested it a lot over the last couple of weeks, using both the free trial through Amazon, and then through Showtime directly. I have found the Live TV stream to be extremely hit and miss. It looks fine for a few minutes and then random but persistent drop-outs hit where both the picture and the sound go all wonky. And this is with a very fast internet connection.

So, given all that, I've decided to pay the extra couple of bucks a month to order the service from Showtime directly so that I can be sure to watch the parts immediately on demand. I do not trust the Live TV stream enough for Twin Peaks.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Roku:Showtime via Amazon Prime or the Showtime App?

Post by N. Needleman »

I'm stuck with the Amazon/Anytime trial atm. Hoping for the best. I think it's outrageous they haven't gotten their shit together on live streaming.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.