Twin Peaks world premiere in Cannes

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks world premiere in Cannes

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Yeah, I saw that - so premiere is misreporting. I'm glad tbh, I love that this Cannes thing is happening but I also love the idea of putting critics on the back foot by giving none of them advance viewings
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Madeleine Ferguson wrote:
Dalai Cooper wrote:If it's after, it won't be a premiere
It is after, just confirmed by Showtime.
Link?
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

It's pretty fitting. Isn't it sort of generally accepted that the main reason Lynch won the Palme for Wild at Heart was because of the acclaim of the original series at that same moment, more than for the opinion of that film itself? Didn't episodes of the series also screen at the festival?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

From Twitter, posted in s3 thread

(@ eyeboogers)
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Dalai Cooper wrote:From Twitter, posted in s3 thread

(@ eyeboogers)
Yep, saw it now. As I wrote there, it is still more likely that the Cannes screening will be before the US premiere - in the evening on the 21st in France. Note that the Showtime employee is not posting in an official capacity.
DonnieB
Roadhouse Member

Post by DonnieB »

So, she works for Showtime PR but she's intentionally posting incorrect information to fans on twitter? lol.

They weren't gonna come this far and then have the entire plot out there even a couple hours before the fans see it.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

i remember the "X-Files" revival did the same (premier at a film festival, not Cannes) and i remember watching the reaction video of the crowd and people absolutely LOVED IT!!!! i saw the episode and absolutely loved it too, but it seems the final word from the crowd is that X-Files S10 episode 1 was total horseshit bc it did away with important mythology... X-Files got us up to speed on much of what has been proven wrong and is now believed to be right in the UFO and conspiracy community, just like Mark Frost did with his "Secret History..." book and for that I applaud them both. but that's neither here nor there.

Cannes is the greatest film festival of the world, a Palme d'Or is much more prestigious than an Academy Award if you truly make movies for the art of it. David Lynch won the Palme d'Or in 1990 for "Wild at Heart", a very interesting and somewhat unexpected choice from a Jury that included Bernardo Bertolucci and Sven Nykvist, and took home one of the most cherished prizes for Mulholland Drive when he was awarded best director (well deservedly shared with Joel Coen for "The Man Who Wasn't There"). In 2002 David Lynch was the main president of the jury of the Cannes FIlm Festival. That years Palme d'Or winner was Polanski's "The Pianist" and best director was shared by Paul Thomas Anderson "Punch Drunk Love" (would imagine Lynch to LOVE this, easily PTA's most underrated and way better than "Magnolia" imo) and a chinese movie known as "Painted Fire" . trivia time over :)
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

> Didn't episodes of the series also screen at the festival?

No, this is the first time TV has ever screened at Cannes (TP and Top of the Lake 2).
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

^ the Pilot episode was screened at some theater for the cast and friends/family and a number of invites i believe but never at festivals while it was running
tmurry
Roadhouse Member

Post by tmurry »

I saw the Lost pilot at comic con (most of it - they cut it after the "smoke monster tosses Greg Grunberg" scene) which is almost the "I was at Woodstock" of the nu-fandom era (the "con audience preview generates frenzy" thing starts with that event). The experience of talking excitedly about it for two months to people sighing heavily at me is a cherished experience.

The biggest thing I wonder about TP at Cannes is whether, in order to prep the thing and get it in place, there is any chance they will show a different cut (this seems unlikely, but is really the most interesting thing possible from a fan perspective).
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

What I really want to know is if Cannes organizers have actually seen a cut (rough or final) of the first two parts, or if they just invited Lynch on the strength of his name. I assume it's the latter because Cannes has a tendency to select films from well-knows filmmakers, regardless of their quality, but simply for the name and attention...
DonnieB
Roadhouse Member

Post by DonnieB »

It's not in competition, obviously, so I doubt they are going to require seeing a cut. The "special" screenings they're doing for this and Top of the Lake are just cross-promotional events.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Fantastic News!!! :D :D
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

DonnieB wrote:It's not in competition, obviously, so I doubt they are going to require seeing a cut. The "special" screenings they're doing for this and Top of the Lake are just cross-promotional events.
Yeah, good point.
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

Well now we know why S3 was sheduled for a May Release - it wouldnt have been finished for Cannes 2016 - and DL wanted to have it at Cannes