Season 3 Magazine Coverage and Articles Worldwide

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 3 Magazine Coverage and Articles Worldwide

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Julee Cruis interview: https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/julee-cr ... rview/amp/

She doesn’t elaborate on whatever her issue was with the new show, aside from saying that DKL can throw temper tantrums. She generally speaks positively of him and refers to him as an older brother figure.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

In other words, "season 2 was shit (cause, ya know, it was taken away from Lynch) and season 3 is top shit (cause Lynch got to do whatever he wanted)". Whatta surprise.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Agent Earle wrote:In other words, "season 2 was shit (cause, ya know, it was taken away from Lynch) and season 3 is top shit (cause Lynch got to do whatever he wanted)". Whatta surprise.
I'm sure all the other directors were trying to emulate Lynch's style a little too much and they probably should have just done what was natural to them. But you can't really blame them for doing that: I am sure they were trying to keep the tone and feel of the season as consistent as possible.

Ultimately, if anyone has a problem with Season 2, the buck stops at Lynch's and Frost's desk, as Harry Truman would say.
Last edited by mtwentz on Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

And let's not forget: no-one forced Lynch to walk away from TP the first time around. Kimmy Robertson would do well to get her facts straight instead of perpetuating the same old same old rumor whenever she feels like crapping all over season 2 and the collective efforts of people who worked really hard to give us our weekly fix of TP when His Majesty wasn't around (something that was of his own choosing). And, overall, did a damn fine job with what they were given and with chaotic conditions they were forced to work in - as opposed to Lynch, who simply walked away cause he felt like it, abandoning it all and in so doing helping to create the said chaotic conditions, and now complaining from 25 plus years worth of safe distance.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Virtually all of the cast and crew have felt this way about Season 2 for almost 30 years. It's the way it is and they are entitled to their feelings, many of which I think are very valid even as I love a lot of Season 2. It's old news and not worth getting upset about.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

And I'm not denying them their entitlement. I'm entitled to think they're wrong, though. Plus some of them are operating on FALSE facts which they have no problem spreading across the world. So there's that aspect to be considered.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Agent Earle wrote:And I'm not denying them their entitlement. I'm entitled to think they're wrong, though. Plus some of them are operating on FALSE facts which they have no problem spreading across the world. So there's that aspect to be considered.
Season 2 had some weak spots towards the middle but recovered nicely. The last 4 or 5 episodes are among my favorite of the entire series.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Fall_of_Sophia
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fall_of_Sophia »

Agent Earle wrote:And I'm not denying them their entitlement. I'm entitled to think they're wrong, though. Plus some of them are operating on FALSE facts which they have no problem spreading across the world. So there's that aspect to be considered.
Were you in season 2 then?
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

the hagiography around twin peaks and lynch's involvement or lack there of during portions of the original production has always been frustrating to me. i wish cast members were a little more nuanced in their discussions about that but it's a little ridiculous to expect them to remember things from 30 years ago perfectly. and like mtwentz said, ultimately the buck stops with frost and lynch for what happened (I could go on about how mark's departure and return seems to correspond with the decline and revival in quality more than lynch's but I digress). it's when journalists or critics, people whose job requires research, repeat the same old stories that i get peeved.

Anyways, my petty brain wants to know which producer Kimmy thought was an asshole in particular. Peyton?
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Fall_of_Sophia wrote:
Were you in season 2 then?
LOL! I wish ...
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Agent Earle wrote:And let's not forget: no-one forced Lynch to walk away from TP the first time around. Kimmy Robertson would do well to get her facts straight instead of perpetuating the same old same old rumor whenever she feels like crapping all over season 2 and the collective efforts of people who worked really hard to give us our weekly fix of TP when His Majesty wasn't around (something that was of his own choosing). And, overall, did a damn fine job with what they were given and with chaotic conditions they were forced to work in - as opposed to Lynch, who simply walked away cause he felt like it, abandoning it all and in so doing helping to create the said chaotic conditions, and now complaining from 25 plus years worth of safe distance.
Duke's Reflections puts that to bed as a myth in itself, though; contrary to popular belief, Lynch never walked away during season 2, in fact he was absent during season 1. In season 2, he was supervising scripts and veto-ing ideas the whole way through, it's just that he became disenchanted and, once Mark left, no longer around to be the squeaky wheel and the one who knew the paper shredder quality of a TV production deadline, Lynch on his own found himself unable to give input to the scripts on time. What happened on screen rendered incompetence on Lynch's part tantamount to an absence, but if you want to be truly accurate, them's the (apparent, alleged) facts.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

DKL was geographically absent for at least part of S2 handling the opening of an art show of his works in Tokyo.

According to Harley Peyton, he was mentally/spiritually absent much more than Mark, even when Mark was in Louisiana and DKL was right across the hall. I believe Peyton called him an “orbiting satellite.”

A lot of this is semantics though. Based on everything I’ve read and heard, I think it’s fair to say DKL wasn’t much of a show runner in the general understanding of the job once either season got rolling, and was an absentee landlord more often than not during both seasons, whether or not he was in his office at L/F Productions. (I imagine he was often locked away in there making Ricky boards and clay sculptures.)
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:DKL was geographically absent for at least part of S2 handling the opening of an art show of his works in Tokyo.

According to Harley Peyton, he was mentally/spiritually absent much more than Mark, even when Mark was in Louisiana and DKL was right across the hall. I believe Peyton called him an “orbiting satellite.”

A lot of this is semantics though. Based on everything I’ve read and heard, I think it’s fair to say DKL wasn’t much of a show runner in the general understanding of the job once either season got rolling, and was an absentee landlord more often than not during both seasons, whether or not he was in his office at L/F Productions. (I imagine he was often locked away in there making Ricky boards and clay sculptures.)
Yeah I didn't mean to imply otherwise--just that 'walking away' isn't exactly hitting the nail on the head. More like disinterest, or passing the buck.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

You both made my point beautifully. I wouldn't have a problem with how it all turned out during the show's initial run - I think it's all water under the bridge and we should let it go at this point (no matter how I wish the show would've gotten a continuation back then ...). What irks me is that Lynch and some of the cast are so quick to dismiss S 2 today as this ungodly, shameful thing and forget (or "forget") to mention Lynch's own considerable role in the infamous deterioration of the show's quality. The least we can agree on is that such behavior is unfair. Peyton himself implied as much in one of his recent (embittered) tweets.