Buenos Aires Bellhop: Are you the man? or Ayúdame?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

teddyleevin
Roadhouse Member

Buenos Aires Bellhop: Are you the man? or Ayúdame?

Post by teddyleevin »

Since the first time I saw this Missing Piece, I assumed it was a mistake in the subtitling. He clearly shouted "Ayúdame!" ("help me!" in Spanish). But many podcasts refer to it according to the subtitles as "Are you the man?" which is certainly more interesting but it still sounds more like the Spanish to me. I couldn't find this line in the script I found of this scene. What's your take? Is there a definitive answer? I've never seen anyone else refer to it as "Ayúdame!" which I find to be shocking. Everyone seems in tacit agreement that it IS "Are you the man?"
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Re: Buenos Aires Bellhop: Are you the man? or Ayúdame?

Post by AXX°N N. »

I always thought it was Ayudame too, for whatever that's worth. :o
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

I am argentinian,... I live in Buenos Aires. it says "AYUDEME", no doubt.
But the guy dont sound at all like he is from Buenos Aires. He sounds like an american actor, trying to sound like a mexican, or like someone from centro america.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Hmm interesting. I was always curious about that one. No mention in any drafts of the script?
teddyleevin
Roadhouse Member

Post by teddyleevin »

Not so far as I found. Thanks for the contributions all. The subtitles on the Blu-ray say "Are you the man?" which is what many podcasts I've heard (and some blogs) have references, with none suggesting that he is speaking in Spanish. I haven't been an active Spanish-user since High School and it stuck out to me right away as being that and only that.

That said, I'd be interested to hear from someone who had heard both options, but insists that it is "Are you the man?" (especially as this definitely requires/suggests deeper explanation).
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

he screams "AYUDEME", .... 100%
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

this is great, i was always extremely curious as to what he was saying as the words "Are You The Man?" would have sounded great and mysterious in context, but the words are just not there. another mystery revealed haha :)
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Yeah it's ayudame for sure. Non-Spanish speakers (inc whoever did the subtitles) mishear it as are you the man but it is very clearly not that. Just goes to show how an error can be compounded.
euclid
Roadhouse Member

Post by euclid »

Side note, does the guy in the missing pieces really say "Mister Jeffries, the shit it come out of my ass"?!?!
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Afraid so, but even in the script it's more like "meester Jeffries, de shit it com out of my ass!"

One of the moments where the Lynch-Engels humour really doesn't work for me.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

the full section of the script:
55. INT. BUENOS AIRES HOTEL CORRIDOR - SAME

Jeffries is suddenly standing in the second story hallway of the
Buenos Aires Palm Deluxe Hotel. The wall behind him is seared black
and smoking. A terrified MAID is whimpering and scampering away from
Jeffries trying to stave away an epileptic fit. She is looking at
him like he is the devil personified.

The bellhop had run further away, but has turned back to see Jeffries
reappear. He is afraid to come any closer.

JEFFRIES
(to Bellhop)
Hey... hey...

BELLHOP
(half crying)
Oh, Mr. Jeffries. De shit it come out of
my ass! Santa Maria, where did you go?

They stare at each other as the blackened wall continues to smoke.
So, it is an unscripted line. I don't speak Spanish so I will trust the others that he actually says 'ayudame', but the 'are you the man' one would have been a more interesting line.
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

Italy here and I always thought it was "Ayudame". That's how I hear it. And I like it.
Roomservice...
teddyleevin
Roadhouse Member

Post by teddyleevin »

Maybe it comes from growing up in a pretty bi-lingual section of Long Island, but I am shocked that this wasn't subtitled correctly. Are there any other dubious subtitling issues?
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

teddyleevin wrote:Maybe it comes from growing up in a pretty bi-lingual section of Long Island, but I am shocked that this wasn't subtitled correctly. Are there any other dubious subtitling issues?
Well the French Girl at Hap's is not subtitled at all. I believe she says "la nuit est le bon moment" (Night is the right moment).

Some family names are wrongly subtitled (like Martin "Hadley" instead of Padley when Invitation to Love gives the name of the actors)
teddyleevin
Roadhouse Member

Post by teddyleevin »

The subtitles are pretty lazy. "M.T. Wentz, c'est moi!" is written as "M.T. Wentz [speaking French]." I always figured that some phrases (like the Spanish one) are ubiquitous in the Western world, but alas.

Also, watch the end credits to Episode 27 on the Bluray with the subtitles on and see errant titling from earlier in the episode. At first I thought it seemed like an easter egg that I had uncovered, before I recognized the line. Watch it and imagine me at 2am finding it just the slightest bit eerie.