is there any other show that even comes close to your obsession with TP?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Re: is there any other show that even comes close to your obsession with TP?

Post by chalfont »

Bloodline - especially season one. Really slow pace which is rare.

I binge watched Lost. Allthough it should have been cut short by at least 2 season, I understand why many got obsessed with this one. Really strong character-emoition-connections with the viewers.

Never watched Game of Thrones, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Prisoner, Walking Dead.... Don't know - just have a feeiling those are not worth the time watching.

However, Inspector Morse, is one I really like! :-) With1h40min epiodes they can go deep into several storylines. "Second time around" is fantastic - recommended!!

But nothing will ever come close to TP - just something different from everything else
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

Agent Earle wrote:
tmurry wrote:Always meant to check out Babylon 5 as I hear it was very consistent and meticulous in developing its epic storyline over the course of five seasons - it's supposed to be one of the harbingers of "new" television with focused storytelling where its showrunner sticks to his vision all the way through the series.

I gave it about two years and gave up. To be fair, a lot of you space opera geeks would probably find a lot to like about it or at least develop a soft spot for it, so do give it a look. For me, the slavish devotion to the end game resulted in some very flat characters and story telling. It's a series that proves having everything planned out doesn't actually translate to better television. Maybe it nailed the ending, but I can't speak to that because I was gone by then. Plus Bruce Boxleitner was a poor lead.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Agent Earle wrote:
Platypus2000 wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:

Ehmmm... Why exactly (does it suck)? And you do realize Carnivale was a HBO show, don't you?
HBO cancelled carnivale before it's time. Fans were left with a cliffhanger ending ,not unlike TP. I cancelled my HBO and never looked back. I will never follow an HBO series ever again.

Although if HBO were the ones to pick up the new Twin Peaks, I would be giving them a second chance right right now. So, I am glad it was Showtime to do it. Great job Showtime!! I will be subscribing to your channel just so I can see Twin Peaks season 3.
Fair enough, they mistreated that show much like ABC mistreated TP back in the day. But to say their whole serialized drama output is shite just because of that one show never getting the chance it deserved is, I feel, a tad exaggerated.

My beef is not really so much with the programming and content on HBO. But more with the politics and the decisions of the executives at the network. Myself and few million others were really let down with cancellations of deadwood and carnivale back in the early 2000s.

I'm sure Game of Thrones and True Detective are hugely entertaining shows.

But I was left feeling very slighted by the network in the past. And I'm too much of a cynic to trust them again.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: is there any other show that even comes close to your obsession with TP?

Post by douglasb »

chalfont wrote:
Never watched Game of Thrones, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Prisoner, Walking Dead.... Don't know - just have a feeiling those are not worth the time watching.
Imagine if someone turned round and said "The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen... just have a feeling they are not worth the time listening to."
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

tmurry wrote:
but man there's some mindblowing episodes in season 2 that you might have missed. the two parter that closes that season is some of the finest, gutsiest television ever produced.
Seconded - If you haven't seen the part of the season 2 finale where Lara goes insane to the tune of Patti Smith's Horses, it was easily the best sequence on TV that year, and I must have watched it (off of the VHS tape) about 100 times.

NOTE: Found it!!!!!!

http://club.doctissimo.fr/desenfers/ser ... 62580.html

Just watched it - only slightly less awesome than my memory had it, but man the thing is Twin Peakey/Lynchian. The way it gets tension off of looking into the bathroom mirror (in the Great Northern like "cabin" room) with flashes of the mirror shattered make you think she's going to Cooper that thing. The look of the law enforcement. The way she screams evokes Laura with a u.
while it's cool and good television to watch it in an excerpt like that you won't get the full gut punch of it if you haven't seen Laura Means entire arch during at least the latter part of Season 2. it's like if you would only watch the red room scenes in ep. 29, a lot of peeps would think "yeah that was kind of off the wall crazy and cool but so what, not that special", but within context it was amazing and had never been done on television before. and that was just one of the many great parts ofthe season closer(s).
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: is there any other show that even comes close to your obsession with TP?

Post by chalfont »

douglasb wrote:
chalfont wrote:
Imagine if someone turned round and said "The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen... just have a feeling they are not worth the time listening to."
Yeah...actually I sort of never listen to music so....
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

underthefan wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote:Nothing compares to Twin Peaks for me.

But my second favorite show of all time is the Sopranos.
Same here. And didn't Sopranos have a few moments that felt very much like TP? Like the one with the fish? Davis Chase is a known Lynch fan.
It's tough for me to say that any show is "like Twin Peaks". I guess that's one of the reasons I love it so much, it's just not possible to replicate it. But there were definitely some similarities with the Sopranos! Both shows are brilliant at juxtaposing kitschy, hilarious moments with the darkest sense of danger and dread, And both shows have some exceptionally great roles for women.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

madeleineferguson wrote:
underthefan wrote:

Same here. And didn't Sopranos have a few moments that felt very much like TP? Like the one with the fish? Davis Chase is a known Lynch fan.
It's tough for me to say that any show is "like Twin Peaks". I guess that's one of the reasons I love it so much, it's just not possible to replicate it. But there were definitely some similarities with the Sopranos! Both shows are brilliant at juxtaposing kitschy, hilarious moments with the darkest sense of danger and dread, And both shows have some exceptionally great roles for women.
That's stretching it by some miles...
frankenhooker

Post by frankenhooker »

I was consumed by The Wire, Mad Men and Six Feet Under at various points in my life, but while all three are fantastic shows, the obsession was kind of fleeting. I've been obsessed with Twin Peaks since it aired, I'm now 41 so it's been for more than half my life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
the woods
Roadhouse Member

Post by the woods »

frankenhooker wrote:I was consumed by The Wire, Mad Men and Six Feet Under at various points in my life, but while all three are fantastic shows, the obsession was kind of fleeting. I've been obsessed with Twin Peaks since it aired, I'm now 41 so it's been for more than half my life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
another great user name, frankenh,..one of my favorite movies
next step: rocket science!
the woods
Roadhouse Member

Post by the woods »

chalfont wrote:
douglasb wrote:
chalfont wrote:
Yeah...actually I sort of never listen to music so....
dylan has some good songs.
next step: rocket science!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Mr. Robot
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Agent Earle wrote:
underthefan wrote:

Despite the fact that I love The Sopranos dearly, the claim that it wore TP influence has always felt as a stunt to attract publicity to me (maybe in its early stages, when the series wasn't the universally praised juggernaut it became later on?); I've strived to notice the famed, David Chase-reported influence often but I always came up with nothing - the two shows are nothing alike. The talking fish that haunts Tony in relation to him whacking his friend Big P**** for being a rat that you mention is "just" another example of the series' stellar use of symbolism, why would it be in any relation to TP (unless if one thinks that any kind of paranormal display in a show is necessarily a TP influence)?
nope, Mark Frost been on record several times naming David Chase calling out Twin Peaks as one of the biggest inluences in making "The Sopranos" as one of the proudest moments of his professional career. I don't have the quote handy right now (it's in the "Reflections" book amongst other sources), but David Chase said that Mark Frost and David Lynch was the first to show on the TV medium that you could stray from reality, mixing dream sequences and otherwordly surrealism with reality. the talking Fish is just a small part but there are SEVERAL full episodes that deal in dream logic.. (SPOILERS) even after a certain character was shot a big part of the last season was taking place in the afterlife or something like that. "Boardwalk Empire" did tihis to a lesser extent in few episodes.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Saturn's child wrote:Another big MillenniuM fan here -- season 2 may be the least 'stable' overall, but I absolutely love it. 'The Curse of Frank Black', 'Jose Chung's Doomsday Defence', 'Anamnesis', 'Beware of the Dog', 'A Room With No View'... so many fantastic episodes. I adored the first season as well & still have time a lot of time for the third (even though it doesn't measure up for me personally with the first two). To answer the OP, no, it doesn't match my Lynch/TP love, but it's absolutely one of my diamonds in the rough.

& Darin Morgan, ahhhhh. Good to see the love flowing for that guy, I'm also of the opinion that he outshone (by a laaaaarge margin) the other episodes from the most recent season of X-Files. I think he did some further consulting on Season 2 of MillenniuM (aside from writing 2 brilliant eps), helping out his brother & James Wong with dialogue, etc. He definitely wrote some unforgettable hours of television in my book.
great to have you on board.. i really liked season 2 as well but it took some time to get used to, but once it got on track it was excellent television. Morgan & Wong wrote some of the best X-Files episodes as well, episode 14 of season 2 "Der Hand..." or something like that with that occult demon teacher that the satanist teacher group conjure up is some of the creepiest ever put on television. especially as the young child of 14 starts telling about these horrible rituals.. what's scary is that these things really do happen. that and "Lamentation" of "MillenniuM" is probably the strongest two episodes in the Chris Carter universe... did you happen to see "Harsh Realm" as well?

if you're a big "MillenniuM" fan i can't recommend Adam Chamberlain's book "Back to Frank Black" enough, it's veyr similiar to John Thorne's "Relections" on Twin Peaks with interviews with every principle person on the set from the actors to the set decorators and give a great overview of the series. Lance Henriksen seems to be sch a cool stand up guy, him and Cooper are my two favorite archetype heroes of any shows.

read more here if you haven't read the the book - https://back2frankblack.wordpress.com/c ... amberlain/

and the great fan site - https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/ which also has a very good fan community/forum. they've been running a campaing called "Back to Frank Black" for years, reallty dedicated, trying to get FOX, Chris Carter and whoever else to give it another shot. Lance was all for it, promoting the book and the campaign any chance he could get. unfortunately it never happened, with Lance now being too old but i think the last thing i herd was they are making a documentary instead.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

claaa7 wrote:
nope, Mark Frost been on record several times naming David Chase calling out Twin Peaks as one of the biggest inluences in making "The Sopranos" as one of the proudest moments of his professional career. I don't have the quote handy right now (it's in the "Reflections" book amongst other sources), but David Chase said that Mark Frost and David Lynch was the first to show on the TV medium that you could stray from reality, mixing dream sequences and otherwordly surrealism with reality. the talking Fish is just a small part but there are SEVERAL full episodes that deal in dream logic.. (SPOILERS) even after a certain character was shot a big part of the last season was taking place in the afterlife or something like that. "Boardwalk Empire" did tihis to a lesser extent in few episodes.
I'm well familiar with the said statements, but the fact is, I just don't see the influence, sorry. I know of the "dream" episodes you speak of (SPOILER alert: the one, titled "The Test Dream", is in Season 5, and has Tony staying at the Plaza Hotel and having a premonitory dream about the enormously troublesome consequences his indecision regarding his cousin Tony Blundetto will cause/has caused him, and the other one, titled "Join the Club", is in Season 6 and has Tony, who's been shot by his uncle Jun, caught in a strange spiritual limbo/afterlife while almost dying on the hospital bed), but what have they got to do with TP? I mean, how can they be interpreted as such? Characters have dreamed on various series before and dreams have had a pretty important narrative meaning in various film and television products over the years; will we say that whenever a post-TP work of TV (or movie) art contains a dream sequence or a strange paranormal occurrence, that's gotta be the influence on TP???

Now, talking about TP as being a "forefather" of the new era of television with its structural traits and deep, idiosyncratic layers of psychology, philosophy, mythology and whatnot, an ever-growing-in-reputation cultural milestone that's ingrained on all post-TV writers', directors', showrunner' etc. minds, that I can absolutely see. And I wouldn't be surprised that's approximately what Chase meant when talking about TP (and Mark Frost then picking it up, 'cause, let's face it, hearing from the creator of The Sopranos that you've influenced his masterpiece is pretty flattering, especially for someone having a background in writing for television). But purely on the narrative, storytelling level, The Sopranos is no more similar to TP than, say, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Bates Motel, or The Walking Dead - completely different universes, completely different preoccupations.