is there any other show that even comes close to your obsession with TP?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: is there any other show that even comes close to your obsession with TP?

Post by Ross »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:For me, that third season of Hannibal is where the show really comes through on Fuller's stated goal of telling a Hannibal Lecter story in the style of David Lynch. The character motivations and the story are increasingy absurd, but the mood is incredible.
I watched the full season, as I had really enjoyed the previous two. But it was a huge disappointment to me. I felt completely detached from it. Once the characters became completely unbelievable and unlikable it killed it. I will say the Red Dragon half of the season was a bit better than the first half. Which was a mess imo.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

The Prisoner ( original show from the 60's ), Space 1999, Breaking Bad, and the first season of True Detective .
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

The Wire
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

no. nothing has ever come close to the obsession i have with twin peaks, tv show or otherwise. i have, from time to time, found other shows that i enjoy, but i have never felt anywhere near as passionate about them as i have about twin peaks. and certainly not for the same length of time. i have also never been a part of a fan community for anything else other than this one. i have no frame of reference and i often wonder how other fandoms compare to ours..
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

beano wrote:no. nothing has ever come close to the obsession i have with twin peaks, tv show or otherwise. i have, from time to time, found other shows that i enjoy, but i have never felt anywhere near as passionate about them as i have about twin peaks. and certainly not for the same length of time. i have also never been a part of a fan community for anything else other than this one. i have no frame of reference and i often wonder how other fandoms compare to ours..
Lame and lamer.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Twin peaks is number one by leaps and bounds.

I really enjoyed Carnivale.
Stranger Things was okay.

I don't do game of thrones or true detective. HBO sucks.

I might try Fargo.

I also really liked the late 90s sketch com Mr. SHOW.

Also, Muppets are awesome! I really hope Lynch is chosen to direct the next Muppet feature.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Adolphus wrote:
beano wrote:no. nothing has ever come close to the obsession i have with twin peaks, tv show or otherwise. i have, from time to time, found other shows that i enjoy, but i have never felt anywhere near as passionate about them as i have about twin peaks. and certainly not for the same length of time. i have also never been a part of a fan community for anything else other than this one. i have no frame of reference and i often wonder how other fandoms compare to ours..
Lame and lamer.
Hahahaha. At least now we know.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Platypus2000 wrote:
I really enjoyed Carnivale.

I don't do game of thrones or true detective. HBO sucks.

Ehmmm... Why exactly (does it suck)? And you do realize Carnivale was a HBO show, don't you?
Last edited by Agent Earle on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:For me, that third season of Hannibal is where the show really comes through on Fuller's stated goal of telling a Hannibal Lecter story in the style of David Lynch. The character motivations and the story are increasingy absurd, but the mood is incredible.
I agree. Season two is more consistent, but three does indeed goes closest to what I feel Fuller's vision of the show was. But the story and the character motivations were pretty much absurd from day one, which adds to the show's weirdness and audacity, since I have always seen the show as a surreal and bizarre black comedy in a world where gruesome murders by serial killers are pretty much the norm.
Last edited by djerdap on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

HBO is a benchmark for quality television imo.. and YES, "Carnivale" was a great, great show. i loved the atmosphere of it and pretty much everything about it.. my only complaint was that i sometimes felt it took too long to get places. I really hope that Daniel Knauf hooks up with a good writer and deliver all volume of "Carnivale" to its conclusion in book form. i Think it would be a wonderful book series.

"True Detective" season 1 actually came Close to giving me that Peaks vibe.. definitely one of the best series i ever watched, absolutely riveting. then i watched it again with my girlfriend Another time on DVD, we were supposed to see maybe 1 or 2 episodes but ended up not leaving the house and seeing all 8 hours over 24 h.. truly great TV, it was more like a Movie based on a novel than a typical TV series. the Writing, directing, and acting was more than top notch.. its interesting that Cary Fukunaga directed every single episode of season 1 with Nic Pizzolato Writing every episode gave it that really unique style. like it was a long Movie broken up in parts or chapters.. and that's very rare that one director/writer works out an entire series like that... but guess who else is doing it? :D :D :D
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

I watch a LOT of television but not too many shows have ever captured my attention like Twin Peaks. While there are lots of TV shows I have enjoyed and consider "well written" i.e. The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Shield, Hannibal, etc. I never really fell in love with them either. Twin Peaks was always special to me just because it had a lovable protagonist who wasn't an anti-hero and blended many different genres together (romance, drama, comedy, horror, fantasy, etc.) with very dense mythology. The only other shows that I ever became obsessed with like Twin Peaks would be The X-Files (for the first 7-8 seasons before Chris Carter went totally bonkers) and Lost and Fringe. I found Fringe to be a really underrated gem and its probably the last show I ever loved similarly to Twin Peaks. I loved how Fringe had a very dense mythology similarly to shows like The Prisoner, Twin Peaks, The X-Files, Carnivale, Lost, etc. but it also had an end destination. The Fringe writers were also huge Twin Peaks fans and they even wrote an explicit nod to Dr. Lawrence Jacoby in the storyline and managed to get Joan Chen to guest star in an episode. That alone was an instant sell for me. :D

In terms of current shows, HBO's new Westworld series also reminds me quite a bit of Twin Peaks with its sort of mystery / puzzle box narrative and I could see it becoming a favorite of mine if HBO can keep its momentum going beyond its freshman season. I've also been enjoying HBO's The Leftovers. It has a nice sense of mystery and I hope the final season does the show justice later this year.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

no one else loved "MillenniuM" on here... a bit suprising i must say
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

claaa7 wrote:no one else loved "MillenniuM" on here... a bit suprising i must say
I loved the first season of Millennium back then. Absolutely loved it. But was really shocked at the nose-dive in quality the show took once season two started. They basically retooled it, jettisoned the serious dark tone that had made the first season special, and turned toward the wink-wink jokiness of the X-Files (Glen Morgan and James Wong took over). They completely changed the tone of the show, and ruined it imo. And I lost all interest.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Northern Exposure for me. It's eerie how many similarities there are with TP. A professional urbanite (Coop and Joel) lands in a podunk mountain town, surrounded by quirky folks.

Both out of towners have an ornery local girl (Audrey and Maggie) who doesn't quite fit in and have moles near their left eye become smitten with them.

Both shows have a young waitress named Shelly and young outcast in leather (James and Ed).

Both have a character that owns half the town (Ben and Maurice).

Both have flourishes of mysticism or magical realism.

Both have great music and cinematography.

Both have a featured hang out (Double R and The Brick).

Of course NX is much more light hearted and sweet, I love them both more than I can express here.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Ross wrote:
claaa7 wrote:no one else loved "MillenniuM" on here... a bit suprising i must say
I loved the first season of Millennium back then. Absolutely loved it. But was really shocked at the nose-dive in quality the show took once season two started. They basically retooled it, jettisoned the serious dark tone that had made the first season special, and turned toward the wink-wink jokiness of the X-Files (Glen Morgan and James Wong took over). They completely changed the tone of the show, and ruined it imo. And I lost all interest.
i see what you mean, and it took a while for them to get the show on the right track again after some first weaker episodes where the unbalance between the new and S1 was too strong.. but man there's some mindblowing episodes in season 2 that you might have missed. the two parter that closes that season is some of the finest, gutsiest television ever produced. on par with episode 29 of TP (almost haha)