The endings of Twin Peaks

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Re: The endings of Twin Peaks

Post by Rami Airola »

claaa7 wrote:
Rami Airola wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:

wow those were some times, imagine having to wait 2.5 years between the US premiere of an american film and the European premier. i remember that too, but i can't for the life of me remember it being THAT long.. one year or something like that sounds plausible from my memory.
Well, Fire Walk with Me premiered in October 30th 1992 in Finnish movie theaters.
It was first shown in television in 1995. And I think it might be the only time it was shown in tv here.

But yeah, that is still quite a long time in between the theatrical and television releases. But that's how it used to be. It would often be about 2 years before a movie shown in theaters was shown on tv. If you had a separate movie channel (like FilmNet), I think it took about 0,5-1 year for new films to be shown there. But on regular tv channels it took forever to see them.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

laughingpinecone wrote:Ep14 as a counterproposal to the usual "why didn't it end on ep16"
Hmm, usual you say? Probably so, but clearly not on this board. Not a single person posted here that after all Ep.16 would have been a perfect ending. Well, let me be the first ;-)

As much as I love Ep.29 as the OH MY GOD NO IT CAN"T BE TRUE ending of it all, it remains a fact that on the way to it we had to face the fact that here and there the show got, well, weaker. And weaker or not - that's not even the main problem. The main problem is that it got incoherent. Plots were opened and developed like architecture in modern Warsaw: that is without any consistent thought behind it.

Ep.16 wraps up the whole story perfectly. The story is complete, yet there is something of an open ending and the final question of "where is BOB now" is as powerful as can be. I have to say that for me Ep.16 is at least equally as good as Ep.14, and the Leland confession scene is equally as good as the "it is happening again" scene, so ending it at Ep.16 also means that it would have ended at the top climax moment.
Agent Earle wrote:Those three episodes [14,15,16] constitute the holy trinity of quality Twin Peaks for me.
Absolutely YES.

Like I've recently written in a neighbouring topic I feel no need for making stories last longer - I was perfectly happy that the killer was revealed at the point of Ep.14 and also, that it took as much (as little) as it took to reveal it to Coop and others. It all feels perfect for me.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

BOB1 wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:Ep14 as a counterproposal to the usual "why didn't it end on ep16"
Hmm, usual you say? Probably so, but clearly not on this board. Not a single person posted here that after all Ep.16 would have been a perfect ending. Well, let me be the first ;-)
I've been tracking the Twin Peaks tag on Tumblr for a solid couple of years now. Among the fanworks, meta and ubiquitous gifsets, I've seen many, many liveblogged commentary and I can assure you that at least among new viewers, "why didn't it end with Leland's death" is a rather common thought. Some friends of new viewers even suggest to stop watching after that! I was just relaying my empiric evidence with zero subjective input on my behalf :)

Personally, had Leland's death/BOB's escape been presented a little differently (basically: a lot more emphasis on BOB as 'the evil that men do', on the fact that it could be anyone harboring such depravity under a respectable facade), I would've been cool with such an ending, but as is, it's too complete and reassuring, which is why I favour Joel's idea.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.