Twin Peaks at SXSW

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks at SXSW

Post by Major Briggs »

dronerstone wrote:Maybe there were NDA's to sign once again? This would explain the information blackout apart from donuts, merch and the mayor of Portland.
According to the official Twitter, the fans they selected there had the chance to enter the "Twin Peaks Lodge" before everyone else. So I guess that was it...
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

So here's a transcript of the decision making process behind the promotion at SXSW. Just came across my desk.

David Nevins: "So, David, we have an idea regarding promoting Twin Peaks at an upcoming event called 'South By Southwest.' Have you heard of it?"

David Lynch: "I think so. Something in Texas? Texas has some real beautiful country and I love cowboys. They're fascinating. Tell me what you want to do."

DN: "Well, we'll recreate a couple Twin Peaks sets --"

DL: "Not new ones."

DN: "Exactly. Something like the 'RR,' and have themed events. Kyle is on board since his schedule is permissive."

DL: "That's great. Kale is a great fella."

DN: "So we're going to have fun little things like donuts --"

DL: "I like donuts."

DN: "Right, yes, and there will be mini pies, cherry of course, and coffee, and we'll sell some merchandise --"

DL: "Only the things I approved."

DN: "Of course, as per your contract. We'll have some people perform music --"

DL: "None of the new music."

DN: "Right, exactly, we'll pull some local bands to just keep things lively."

DL: "Can I smoke in here? I want a cigarette."

DN: "No, sorry David."

DL: <lights a cigarette> "So what's this thing called again?"

DN: "South By Southwest. We've got Kyle on board and we want to have a showcase near the end where we show a trailer, so we'd like you to --"

DL: "No."

DN: "Maybe we could put something together --"

DN: "David, it's mid March, we air on May twenty-first and we still don't --"

DN: "Can't we --"

DL: "No.

DN: "But --"

DL: "I need to find a place to put this out. This was a great meeting though. I really love that little sculpture right there on your desk. The way it sits right near the corner looks just perfect. Good bye."

<END TRANSCRIPT>

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Haha! Thanks. :) Very plausible though.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Has anyone seen/thought about this:

http://pitchfork.com/news/72281-twin-pe ... thro-tull/

It's probably got something to do with the SXSW event, given that they happened so close to each other. I don't think it's got anything to do with Twin Peaks, but I'd love to see Kyle drinking coffee to Soundgarden's Spoonman....
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

I think this is just more "how can we publicise the show without any details about it whatsoever?" enforced marketing.
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

There's this little nugget, though:
Twin Peaks returns May 21 on Showtime but expect to see an expansive promotional campaign begin rolling out very soon.
(from http://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/s ... t-at-sxsw/ )
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

polishq wrote:There's this little nugget, though:
Twin Peaks returns May 21 on Showtime but expect to see an expansive promotional campaign begin rolling out very soon.
I believe the expansive promo campaign will begin on May 21st, about 30 minutes before the premiere airs.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

mtwentz wrote:
polishq wrote:There's this little nugget, though:
I believe the expansive promo campaign will begin on May 21st, about 30 minutes before the premiere airs.
Don't you mean 30 minutes AFTER the premiere airs?? :lol:
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

That was great Mordeen! :lol:
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

I was there, and there was no need to sign an NDA. Some fun promotional items and food, bands of varying quality (check out Aldous Harding - very Peaks-y), a cool photo booth, but no trailer or footage you haven't seen.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Very soon sounds good to me. Do we have any upcoming dates/events that might be plausible for more expansive promotion to start?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Madeleine Ferguson

Post by Madeleine Ferguson »

Does anyone know why they have released Twin Peaks style skateboards? It seems a bit random... Will skateboards feature in the new series or something?
Watch out for my cousin
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Soolsma wrote:Very soon sounds good to me. Do we have any upcoming dates/events that might be plausible for more expansive promotion to start?
Numerology-wise, 3/19 and 3/28 are the closest dates, but that might not at all be what they Showtime/Lynch have in mind.

Beyond that, 4/9, 4/18 and 4/27.
Ratmeat

Post by Ratmeat »

Was there on Thursday. Had trouble getting off work so couldn't get there till 5 PM, but got a ton of free merchandise. Buttons, patches, hat, shirt, tote bag. Think it was over $100 worth of items for free. Stayed until 7 PM when they made everyone leave during the change to VIP only bands for the later hours, which is when Kyle was there. I'm pretty depressed I didn't get to see him at all! :(
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

As much as a fair portioon of me is happy to go into season 3 blind, you've got to wonder if Showtime are happy with the marketing so far. Everything has been tailored towards the returning fan. There is nothing out there (yet) that would entice new viewers. I guess we are still just over 2 months away and there's plenty of time left for a mysterious trailer full of new footage. Showtime have a lot riding on this though. They need to market it eventually.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*