Official Thread - TCA Announcement - Twin Peaks on Showtime May 21st

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

adl345
RR Diner Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by adl345 »

LateReg wrote:
adl345 wrote:
Here Comes That Bob wrote: I just calculated. The entire duration of Lynch's features counts 21 hours and 43 minutes. We're getting approximately 83% of his whole filmography.( not counted short movies and rest of his work)
If we count Lynch's previous TV work, the number comes out to about 61%. Did the math yesterday.
Nicely done, but what's the actual number you came up with for his directorial efforts in total?
Adding up the runtimes of all of Lynch's commercially released works as a director (i.e. the movies, his Twin Peaks episodes, the On The Air pilot, and two episodes of Hotel Room) comes out to roughly 1767 minutes (or 29 hours and 37 minutes)."

That's not counting any of his short films or goofy internet stuff.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Frost has said many times that the first series was conceived and written as a kind of televisual equivalent of a novel, but the episodes/"chapters" still had more or less conventional structures. I expect the new series to be far less conventional but the structure will still be there, lynch may view the series as one long story but both he and frost are experienced enough to have built in enough acts or movements or whatever you want to call whatever internal structures in the plot (in short: I think we will get at least a few cliffhangers because cliffhangers are great)
dunkrag
Roadhouse Member

Post by dunkrag »

Are we going to see a continuation of Invitation To Love?
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

mtwentz wrote:Has anyone thought of this- why did Nevin specifically mention the show will be about Coop working his way back to Twin Peaks?
Probably because that's what the show will be about.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Montages, a Norwegian online movie magazine, speculates if Lynch will show up with the two first hours at the Cannes film festival, as it coincides with the premiere date. Could be into something.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

adl345 wrote:
LateReg wrote:
adl345 wrote:If we count Lynch's previous TV work, the number comes out to about 61%. Did the math yesterday.
Nicely done, but what's the actual number you came up with for his directorial efforts in total?
Adding up the runtimes of all of Lynch's commercially released works as a director (i.e. the movies, his Twin Peaks episodes, the On The Air pilot, and two episodes of Hotel Room) comes out to roughly 1767 minutes (or 29 hours and 37 minutes)."

That's not counting any of his short films or goofy internet stuff.
Thank you. Saves me the time of doing this. Cause I was really curious what these numbers were.

So happy we're going to get 18hrs of pure Lynch all released over a short time, what might amount to close to just a couple of months. It really makes up for the long long wait times between his last 4 or so features.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

dunkrag wrote:Are we going to see a continuation of Invitation To Love?
Time will tell, wouldn't put it past them to have created a new show within a show, maybe something more reflective of modern shows or a different genre.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Well disaster has struck for me. The one week that I have to travel from Australia to Europe for work in the next 6 months happens to be....guess?

I'll be on a plane during the premiere for 24 hours!! My hope is that I can get excellent hotel wireless in Stockholm, but this rarely happens in my experience (particularly in the budget hotels I'll be forced to book). Failing that, the meeting I'm attending is with good friends and collaborators who don't mind a bit of TV nerdey- in last years meeting we had a Prisoner viewing, so we could probably add Twin Peaks this year. Now I just have to hope that my Australian VPN works for Stan.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Sharon Van Etten talks The OA and Twin Peaks. Very briefly. Careful, some OA spoilers.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

One thing I'm confused by...Lynch said "We still have a lot of work left to do." Was he talking about post-production work? And in that case, what did Showtime Execs see? A rough cut? Or the show without all the sound/effects work finished?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

If Nevins says they saw the whole show I have to assume they did. Who knows what Lynch means. I suspect it's about maybe some post-production FX and marketing. I'm not overthinking it.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

I'm not saying it's a big deal, just wondering. It would help to know the question he was answering, just thought someone else may have caught that on twitter.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

ForKeeps wrote:One thing I'm confused by...Lynch said "We still have a lot of work left to do." Was he talking about post-production work? And in that case, what did Showtime Execs see? A rough cut? Or the show without all the sound/effects work finished?
I was thinking they aren't done with post- maybe some music, sound design and effects. Maybe Showtime saw the full cut, but just not 100% complete in those areas?
Also credits/titles?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

I wondered that too. Maybe they saw a rough cut and he's still editing a bit. The way Nevin said they'd seen everything does suggest the editing is done though. Effects and sound probably isn't locked yet, and this is what Lynch is referring to? IIRC effect work isn't usually finalised until everything's edited so these next few months are probably that. Lynch will surely want to okay everything.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I thought about that, too. Nevins was likely referring to seeing locked picture (meaning picture editing is finished), but audio design, mixing, mastering, ADR, any CGI or other visual effects, color correction, etc. may still need to be completed and will take months, especially knowing how much attention Lynch gives to sound in his work. That would make the most sense.