What is the most horrible translated German episode title (season 2)?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

May the Giant Be With You
51%
Coma
3%
The Man Behind Glass
1%
Laura's Secret Diary
No votes
The Orchid's Curse
1%
Drive With A Dead Girl
3%
Arbitrary Law
No votes
Dispute Between Brothers
3%
Masked Ball
1%
The Black Widow
1%
Checkmate
No votes
Double Play
No votes
Slaves and Masters
3%
The Condemned Woman
No votes
Wounds and Scars
No votes
On the Wings of Love
10%
Variations on Relations
11%
The Path to the Black Lodge
No votes
The Night of the Decision
10%
Beyond Life and Death
1%

Total votes: 71
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

God, these are awful. In order to get down to 20 poll options, I have made the controversial decision to remove Demons and Lonely Souls as they seemed to be fairly popular on the other thread. I also swapped out the simply descriptive fan-assigned "Miss Twin Peaks" for the reliably horrible "Night of the Decision" from the 1996 broadcast.

As before, remember to vote for the WORST but feel free to argue for any you think work.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Re: What is the most horrible translated German episode title (season 2)?

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I voted "zen..." without a second's thought in the season 1 poll but I'm holding off on voting for this while I make up my mind. As someone who enjoys holding contrarian twin peaks opinions, I feel like I should ignore the most obvious candidate and vote for another nonsensical title or one of those that sound like a straight-to-vhs 90s erotic thriller, but... then again, how not to vote for "may the giant be with you"? That's fucking awful in anyone's language.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

My vote is "yes" :|
I picked Night of the decision because I didn't know it was the original one for my nemesis ep28 and it's a fresh new feeling of bad, but... yes. On the wings of love. Gratuitous Star Wars Reference. The orchid's curse.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

my understanding is that there was no German title for that one originally because they showed the last 2 as one episode, so only ep 29 was titled, but fans just started calling 28 "miss twin peaks" and cbs went with it - then a few years later the title was added for a rebroadcast (I only learned this today when making this poll, and had a similar reaction - hitherto undiscovered lameness!)
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I have seen some slipshod backwater burgs, but On the Wings of Love takes the cake.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

All of the above.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Drive with a Dead Girl or Night of the Decision.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

While DWADG always stood out for pointlessly being such a spoiler, something about the phrase "Variations on Relations" really grinds my gears.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Oh gosh, there are too many crappy ones to pick one. Instead I'll name the ones (on this list) that I actually like -

"On The Wings of Love" - it's saccharine for sure, but it works for me. It makes me think of "Mysteries of Love" from Blue Velvet.

"The Man Behind the Glass" - odd and doesn't make sense, but kind of intriguing. It makes me think of FWWM when the little boy talks about the man behind the mask being under the ceiling fan.

"Arbitrary Law" - as others have stated, it's quite fitting for arbitrary nature of the episode (which I am not too fond of aside from a few exquisite scenes)

"Coma", " Laura's Secret Diary", "The Path to the Black Lodge" - unimaginative, but nothing wrong with them either.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

All of them
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Will have to give the "honor" to May the Giant Be With You. Pointless Star Wars reference that has nothing to do with anything and sounds like it'd be from some light comedy show, not TP.

On the Wings of Love is poorly translated of course, but I actually think I appreciate what they were going for; its naive romanticism kind of fits well with the episode's.

Night of the Decision is hilarious, didn't know about that one.

Drive With a Dead Girl is shatteringly prosaic, but not the worst here.

The Man Behind Glass is probably runner-up. Variations on Relations is idiotic, but it also sounds strangely like the title of an art film. These titles are both bad and enjoyable in their bad-ness.

I love how Dispute Between Brothers and Arbitrary Law inadvertently (or not?) reveal the core flaws of the episodes they describe. Also, the latter sounds like it should've been some cheesy lawyer-centric soap opera in the 80s/90s.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

"Hey man, you know that great episode with the terrifying reenactment of Laura Palmer's murder? That has to be one of the scariest things I've ever seen on TV! What was the name of that episode?"

"May the Giant be With You!"

"..."
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
RainingPostToasties
Roadhouse Member

Post by RainingPostToasties »

"Variations on Relations" sounds like a bad hip hop album, and fails to uniquely identify the episode when nigh every episode features a new "variation" on some "relation."

I binged Season 1 for the first time a couple years ago and remember looking at the episode titles of S2, and the one about the giant made me a little less excited to see it. That's the power of a poorly-chosen title!

Some that I actually liked include The Man Behind Glass, The Condemned Woman, and the darkly evocative Drive with a Dead Girl.
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

Variations on relations. It must be the least catchy title possible, not to mention it's just an empty, meaningless vessel.

There are a lot of titles that would actually make either great Sherlock Holmes stories (The Condemned Woman, The Orchid's Curse, The Man Behind Glass) or great Film Noirs (The Black Widow, Checkmate, Double Play).

But as season 2 Twin Peaks episodes? (Nah)
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Most of them are just 'fine'. Not good titles, not interesting. Just labels. Something like 'The Condemned Woman', it's fine, I guess the episode contains what it says on the tin. Something like Variations on Relations is just meaningless, but, whatever.

But May the Giant Be With You is atrocious, and so .. just tonally not right. It's a dumb, stupid reference to Star Wars (which I love .. but separately!)

Mind you, I also cringe whenever Machlachlan (and Frost as well, I think) says "May the forest be with you".