POLL: Predict BOB for S3 [Book spoilers permitted]

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

How do you expect Bob to appear in season 3

BOB won't appear
11%
Cooper will be BOB
16%
Leland as BOB
24%
A new lookalike actor (specify in comments)
11%
A new completely different looking actor (specify in comments)
3%
BOB without a human appearance, now appears as surreal imagery, eg owls, swirling lights and whatnot
14%
BOB will as of now, only have a voice
0%
Old imagery of Silva will be used
11%
A CGI rendition of Silva
10%

Total votes: 340
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: POLL: Predict BOB for S3 [Book spoilers permitted]

Post by Panapaok »

I've recently become convinced that Kyle himself will be the face of Bob. There isn't any real evidence but that's my hunch.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

dronerstone wrote:Does anyone have a clue where I could find the "Have you seen this man?" flyer in printable form, preferably PDF and not just a random JPEG?

I consider hanging some in my neighborhood as the hype builds, maybe one at work too. :)
https://www.docdroid.net/EyrGTkX/bob.pdf.html
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Thaaaaaanks! That's awesome, Soolsma! :)
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

bob_wooler wrote:My votes: "Lokalike actor portraying Bob" and "BOB without a human appearance...".

If it turns out we get a new lookalike actor portraying Bob, it would be reasonable to expect it being an actor of the same age as Frank Silva - if he was still alive. This because it would be inconsistent otherwise, since the other returning Lodge spirit's actors has aged equivalently (Carel Struycken, Carlton Lee Russell and even MJA who's return was intended). The only actor, IMO, with these criteria from the cast list is Frank Collison. I think Collison has way more potential than other typical suggestions coming from the TP community (even in here); actors who's only relevant characteristica is having long hair :roll: .
My favorite sollution for the show though, would be "BOB without a human appearance.." combined with some infrequent, short and scary-as-hell CGI appearances.
I think this is an interesting idea. With MJA not returning, maybe Lodge Spirit ageing is directly related to Garmonbozia? Hence why Mrs Tremond is old, having refused it. Maybe we will get a younger actor play a healthier younger looking BOB or something like that.

I think it's possible BOB won't feature, but I think part of the "fun" will be if they did something similar again, where there's a new whodunit mystery with BOB inhabiting one of the other cast members again. I think we will definitely see a "Bad Coop" with BOB appearing in a reflection or two like he did in the finale. I think it more likely they establish a new actor rather than reusing stock footage of Silva.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Bob might not be in the show at all. We don't know what the main storyline of the show is going to be – there might be a procedural 'hook' like 'Who killed Laura Palmer?' in the show with supernatural aspects kept bubbling in the background. If that's the case, normal Cooper could simply be investigating a crime in the town.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Gabriel wrote:Bob might not be in the show at all. We don't know what the main storyline of the show is going to be – there might be a procedural 'hook' like 'Who killed Laura Palmer?' in the show with supernatural aspects kept bubbling in the background. If that's the case, normal Cooper could simply be investigating a crime in the town.
https://youtu.be/HbrLCZk_c5c[/youtube]
Last edited by laughingpinecone on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

laughingpinecone wrote:
Gabriel wrote:Bob might not be in the show at all. We don't know what the main storyline of the show is going to be – there might be a procedural 'hook' like 'Who killed Laura Palmer?' in the show with supernatural aspects kept bubbling in the background. If that's the case, normal Cooper could simply be investigating a crime in the town.
Yeah, they'll deal with Bob somehow.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Panapaok wrote:Yeah, they'll deal with Bob somehow.
Well, ahem, obviously aside from that bit. ;)

I simply mean BOB, the Giant and Mike could be dispensed with quite quickly and the main thrust of the storyline might be something else. Y'know, a certain event happens, pre-titles, Gordon says 'Get me Special Agent Dale Cooper!' Mike grabs Cooper, who's drunk in a local strip club, drags him to Glastonbury Grove, the Giant walks out from behind the curtains, pulls Cooper inside, there's the sound of fistfighting, a dwarf runs out already in flames and burns up, then Good Coop walks out smiling, back to normal. Mike gives everyone the thumb up and says 'Oh well! No 'arm in trying!'

Cue opening titles.

I joke obviously, but the whole BOB thing gets overblown because he's so memorable. He wasn't in the show that much. They could resolve the whole issue of Cooper's possession by the end of episode two latest. I suspect the possession was never intended to be much more than a subplot in the original show and I remain dubious that it'll be a significant focus of 18 hours of a new show.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Dalai Cooper wrote:Random thought I had: this is probably more for the alternate series 3 fanfic thread than anything I actually expect or would want to see, but it struck me that one solution to "the BOB problem", sticking to what's already established, might involve going back to the dropped thread of former red herring Bob Leidecker. Don't ask me how the hell that would work, as everything's already so muddled regarding the nature of the leland/BOB partnership and what it looks like vs MIKE/Gerard (+the arm), what "body" was Ronette the only person to see, who the hell was Robertson, and so on. Adding a new "corporeal BOB" to that mix would ultimately be a bit nonsensical, but might have been fun all the same given that everyone assumed we were done with ol' Bob in his coma and the two Bobs had no connection.
Yeah, I was always curious about Bob Leidecker too. He is a veterinarian who is in a coma after being jumped / getting into a fight. Also, his best friend is the One Armed Man. I just feel like he could've been an interesting tertiary character whenever he woke up, like a Milford or the Log Lady.

Then again, I was always curious about what happened at Mr. Blodgett's barn too.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

BOB had a big presence in FWWM, which we know was crucial developing the new story.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

Gabriel wrote:

I simply mean BOB, the Giant and Mike could be dispensed with quite quickly and the main thrust of the storyline might be something else. Y'know, a certain event happens, pre-titles, Gordon says 'Get me Special Agent Dale Cooper!' Mike grabs Cooper, who's drunk in a local strip club, drags him to Glastonbury Grove, the Giant walks out from behind the curtains, pulls Cooper inside, there's the sound of fistfighting, a dwarf runs out already in flames and burns up, then Good Coop walks out smiling, back to normal. Mike gives everyone the thumb up and says 'Oh well! No 'arm in trying!'

Cue opening titles.

I joke obviously, but the whole BOB thing gets overblown because he's so memorable. He wasn't in the show that much. They could resolve the whole issue of Cooper's possession by the end of episode two latest. I suspect the possession was never intended to be much more than a subplot in the original show and I remain dubious that it'll be a significant focus of 18 hours of a new show.
Remind me never to read these posts again while at work. Had a hard time explaining what made me laugh my ass off so hard hahaha
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Whether or not we spend much time with Bad Coop, I think the consequences of BOB's possession/whatever-he-has-to-do-with-the-doppelgangers will be intrinsic to the storyline.
ryst

Post by ryst »

I've always wondered if it's possible to do a "Face Swapped BOB".

Something like this:

:D :D :D
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Gabriel wrote:

Cue opening titles.

This is the safest way they could play it: throwing away events after their shock value has played out, negating any consequences that could scrape the iconic status of beloved characters, going back to television's trusted procedural format with a safe pov character filtering the events.
Of course, lots of ongoing stories, especially on TV, choose to play it this way - Sherlock's constant use of the first ten minutes of a new season to thoroughly wipe away all traces of the massive cliffhanger that kept the audience on edge for the previous two years or so comes to mind.
But that's not getting us "out of our comfort zone", that's not "fiery deep and poignant", it's certainly not
Frost says the revisited Twin Peaks is "not just an exercise in nostalgia, certainly not for us; it's an exercise in engaging with one of the most powerful themes in all of art, which is the ruthless passage of time. To engage with a set of characters after this much time has passed is a great opportunity to work with that whole set of concerns and circumstances."
It taps, he adds, a darker, universal reality. "We're all trapped in time and we're all going to die," he says. "We're all travelling along this conveyor belt that is relentlessly moving us toward this very certain outcome. I think it's going to be interesting for audiences to confront that as well because this is not A Very Special Twin Peaks Christmas. We hope it's something more than that."
(x)

Laura chose to die rather than be possessed, a supernatural situation with a very obvious psychological parallel. Now our main character (or part of him anyway) has given in to that fate. Either this has meaning or it does not. Either this is one heart of this story or it is not.

On a little tangent: we know that
Brad Dukes: Who’s idea was it and when was it decided to ultimately leave Dale Cooper trapped in The Black Lodge? It seems to me like Cooper’s fate is heavily hinted at during your brother’s book My Life, My Tapes.
Mark Frost: Yeah, I think it was. David and I knew we were going to end up with him there and that was always the plan , so I think we added a hint or a reference in the book to help set that up.
(x)
Now, I agree that the original plans for the original season 3 seemed to be wholly concerned with keeping up the harmless status quo of the post-Leland episodes, dropping the yucky possession plot like a hot potato (even though Peyton's latest AMA suggested the opposite). But what about Lynch's subsequent, even less defined take on a conclusion back then, I wonder. FWWM was its cornerstone, and FWWM is very much concerned with the horrors, responsibilities and consequences of BOB's possession. I don't think you can go from that movie to a sequel that goes "oh you know what, nevermind"...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think they knew Cooper would likely end up in the Red Room again outside of his dreams, so I think that's what Frost is talking about. I don't think they ever intended to leave him there forever. They clearly had plans for Cooper to be rescued and defeat his shadow self for a third year.

Do I think it will be that simple 25 years later? Probably not, but I also don't think we're going to see the show or character go wholly grimdark.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.