POLL: Predict BOB for S3 [Book spoilers permitted]

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

How do you expect Bob to appear in season 3

BOB won't appear
11%
Cooper will be BOB
16%
Leland as BOB
24%
A new lookalike actor (specify in comments)
11%
A new completely different looking actor (specify in comments)
3%
BOB without a human appearance, now appears as surreal imagery, eg owls, swirling lights and whatnot
14%
BOB will as of now, only have a voice
0%
Old imagery of Silva will be used
11%
A CGI rendition of Silva
10%

Total votes: 340
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: POLL: Predict BOB for S3 [Book spoilers permitted]

Post by Soolsma »

Mordeen wrote:
Panapaok wrote:Leland as Bob doesn't make any sense. I mean, at all.
Even though he actually was Bob, killed Theresa, killed Laura, killed Maddy. . .? Please elaborate because expressing your opinion as a matter of fact kind of takes a shit on a lot of others' opinions to the contrary. I'm genuinely interested to read why you think it makes no sense. Theories abound and I'm interested in all of them.

-Mordeen
We've already grown accustomed to Leland's face in a bunch of ways, which is why I can't see him portraying the face of evil. Yes, we've seen him commit acts of unspeakable evil but we've also seen him as a compassionate and remorseful father. I know I'd be able to sympathize with him, seeing him as a fallen soul instead of this dark and alienating force of nature.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Post by ringbearer »

I think Frank Collison would make an excellent Bob
"I like to remember things my own way." Fred Madison
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

My bet is they'd recast a lookalike actor playing very few but important scenes.

That said, I still can't get over seeing Silva/Bob as a "human" in the film version of the pilot getting shot at the end, case closed. This doesn't fit, in a really heavy way.
Valaquen
Roadhouse Member

Post by Valaquen »

I always reckoned Lynch had archival footage and alternate takes of Silva that he could incorporate into the new show; just as he did in the season 2 opener with the shot of BOB running down the hospital corridor -- that was filmed for the pilot, I believe, or early season 1, and he simply reutilisied it for Ronette Pulaski's nightmare. Unfortunately I doubt they could get new scenes and performances out of any old footage, so it will come down to inventiveness in the editing suite.
TheGreatWent

Post by TheGreatWent »

My money's on either Frank Collison or Vincent Castellanos, with a peppering of old footage of Silva himself.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: RE: Re: POLL: Predict BOB for S3 [Book spoilers permitted]

Post by Mordeen »

Panapaok wrote:
Mordeen wrote:
Panapaok wrote:Leland as Bob doesn't make any sense. I mean, at all.
Even though he actually was Bob, killed Theresa, killed Laura, killed Maddy. . .? Please elaborate because expressing your opinion as a matter of fact kind of takes a shit on a lot of others' opinions to the contrary. I'm genuinely interested to read why you think it makes no sense. Theories abound and I'm interested in all of them.

-Mordeen
Yeah, sorry for expressing this so definitively. I shouldn't do that.

Anyway, I genuinely can't see any logic behind this prospect. Bob used Leland as a vessel for decades, so as to satisfy his needs. But after killing Maddy, Bob decided to leave Leland once and for all and in the process he killed him as well. He used Leland as a living entity. He wanted to do the same with Laura but she took the ring and she prevented this by forcing him to kill her. Bob can't inhabit dead people. That's the point they tried to make in both series and film.

Bob is Bob. He is not Leland and he is not Coop. He has his own face and few can recognise him. Reappearing as Leland just doesn't make any sense to me. I can't see how that could work.
I see where you're coming from and could get behind it, but don't entirely agree for more reasons than what I'll spell out below. You see, I've been places. . .

Is Bob, well, Bob, always? Mike wasn't always Mike. I don't think we know exactly. The book makes possible reference to Bob and Mike, but very vaguely at best (if at all, and I'm certain that's intentional). I don't want to elaborate and spoil the book for people.

We know "Bob" has captured a number of people over time in one form or another. Let's look at details:

Leland (whom we know was "captured" by Bob, and physically entered the Lodge at least once as depicted in FWWM) claimed in the moments before his "death" that he was overtaken. He could very well have been lying, and the person they put in the ground wasn't real. We were shown another Leland in the Lodge. Perhaps that was the "real" Leland, the one who told Coop he didn't kill anybody.

Laura (whom we know Bob was trying to capture) is in the Lodge in possibly both forms, and entered it once in her dreams. We see her 1) at peace and exalted in FWWM, 2) seemingly troubled but relatively normal (except for backward speech) in Cooper's "dream," but then we see her angry "doppelganger" in Episode 29. Which Laura is the real Laura? Clues indicate both, or neither, so maybe the girl they put in the ground wasn't real either.

Dale's situation is clearest because we see it happen. He enters the Lodge of his own free will and is faced with his imperfect self. He fails the test and is fractured. "Bob's" Cooper escapes in the struggle. Is he real? That's relative to what "reality" will be in Season 3.

My theory for why Leland can (and possibly "will" be Bob) also includes, but isn't limited to, Cooper ALSO being Bob, as we saw in the cliffhanger. I don't think Bob will be Bob. I think we'll get BOB as others, and that he'll be more of an idea than an individual or a unique identity.

As for logic. I can only offer the advice that you brace yourself for utter illogic in Season 3. The Owls aren't even close to what they seem.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: POLL: Predict BOB for S3 [Book spoilers permitted]

Post by Soolsma »

Mordeen wrote:As for logic. I can only offer the advice that you brace yourself for utter illogic in Season 3. The Owls aren't even close to what they seem.

-Mordeen
Yes and whatever is in store for us is probably what we least expect, pretty much defeating the purpose of this thread. :roll: Oh well, I just wanted to know what people thought might happen..
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Frank Collison would be a solid choice for Bob indeed. That is, if they recasted Bob with someone who looks like Frank Silva. On the other hand, Vincent Castellanos seems to have short hair these days.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
REdKing
Roadhouse Member

Post by REdKing »

I'm going to second Vincent Castellanos. This is without backing, but I've had that in my mind since I first went through the casting.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

I've always thought Sheryl Lee would make a great BOB. Had BOB won and taken over Laura's body, she would have been terrifying.

I don't think they're going to recast BOB for Season 3. I think there will be a new antagonist and we'll never fully know what happened to BOB.
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

It truly is a shame that Frank Silva died. He had such an animalistic aura to him, partly because he was an unknown actor and being Native American descent.

I think he will be recast.
Last edited by Pöllö on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cow jumped over the moon.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Pöllö wrote:Don't forget that Robert Forster will be now playing Harry, for example.
Umm, no he won't. Didn't you get the memo? :P
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

Panapaok wrote:
Pöllö wrote:Don't forget that Robert Forster will be now playing Harry, for example.
Sorry if that wasn't accurate. He won't be? The initial news said that he would.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Pöllö wrote:
Panapaok wrote:
Sorry if that wasn't accurate. He won't be? The initial news said that he would.
He will be playing Sheriff Frank Truman, Harry's older brother.
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

Panapaok wrote:
Pöllö wrote:
Panapaok wrote:Umm, no he won't. Didn't you get the memo? :P
He will be playing Sheriff Frank Truman, Harry's older brother.
Oh boy, I don't know how I got that wrong! Thanks for the correction.