Original Season 3 Plans

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2396
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 pm

The interpersonal dynamics are interesting. Bob Engels came on as Mark’s longtime friend, but then seems to have become DKL’s surrogate for Mark when the L/F partnership deteriorated. Now that Mark and David are back on good terms, I wonder if DKL still would have any interest in collaborating with Engels. I also wonder about the nature of Mark and Bob’s relationship these days.

It seems like Peyton bears no ill will against DKL, despite having been treated rather poorly (and he has also said he communicates with Mark on a near-daily basis), but I don’t think DKL has so much as acknowledged Harley’s existence in decades.
User avatar
krishnanspace
Posts: 920
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Postby krishnanspace » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:58 pm

N. Needleman wrote:Lynch would of course never allow it.

I wonder how Lynch feels about Engels and Peyton these days. Peyton, who he allegedly didn't get along so well with, is doing excellent work on SyFy's deeply underrated Channel Zero anthology. I think both men did wonderful work on the original series and the best anyone could to carry his vision in his and Frost's collective absences. I'd still love to see them work on something Peaks-related again, but I think even if Lynch regards them kindly today (and I doubt he harbors any hatred) the likelihood of that happening is approximately zero. In every interview and even his new book talking about the show's highs and lows, he has retaken full control and will not be letting it go again.

True. I loved the stuff they brought to the show, the mythology especially
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 2040
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Postby N. Needleman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:12 pm

Mr. Reindeer wrote:It seems like Peyton bears no ill will against DKL, despite having been treated rather poorly (and he has also said he communicates with Mark on a near-daily basis), but I don’t think DKL has so much as acknowledged Harley’s existence in decades.


Which is a shame if true. But I also don't think Lynch is holding a grudge.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
User avatar
kitty666cats
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Postby kitty666cats » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:32 pm

N. Needleman wrote:Lynch would of course never allow it.

I wonder how Lynch feels about Engels and Peyton these days. Peyton, who he allegedly didn't get along so well with, is doing excellent work on SyFy's deeply underrated Channel Zero anthology. I think both men did wonderful work on the original series and the best anyone could to carry his vision in his and Frost's collective absences. I'd still love to see them work on something Peaks-related again, but I think even if Lynch regards them kindly today (and I doubt he harbors any hatred) the likelihood of that happening is approximately zero. In every interview and even his new book talking about the show's highs and lows, he has retaken full control and will not be letting it go again.


I've become convinced (especially after S3) that Peyton and Engels may have been the true geniuses behind the original run and responsible for all the things I love so much. I thought it was Mark Frost at first, but maybe it's them. Lynch sets a great mood, but it seems he did very little writing and only directing in the 90s seasons. Good writing means much more to me than good directing!
User avatar
kitty666cats
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Postby kitty666cats » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:46 pm

Even sections of Season 2 that a lot of people find cringe-worthy, I still have a whole lot of appreciation for. One thing that comes to mind is Dead Dog Farm. That was a very interesting set, especially what the realtor lady had to say about it... about how the best and worst people are drawn to it, or whatever it was she said. Could have been utilized more! Dead Dog Farm could even have been a suitable replacement for the abandoned lot in Buckhorn from Season 3, in a perfect world where S3 was filmed in the early 90s haha.

I would love for this thread to become a beacon for good ideas for a potential early 90s Season 3 that all of us have dreamed up in the past. Like I said before, the idea they had about Briggs being the only one with the capacity to rescue good Coop from the Black Lodge was SUCH a solid idea that they apparently had brewing up. Boundless potential in that idea, alone. I suppose Hawk going in there with Briggs would have worked too! We got teased with that in the real Season 3 :(
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 2040
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Postby N. Needleman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:06 pm

I am still holding out for one of the Truman brothers driving a truck backwards through fields of corn (or was it just a road initially?), as I believe was discussed re: early iterations of FWWM or Season 3. Roll on Season 4!
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Agent Earle
Posts: 909
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Postby Agent Earle » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:33 am

kitty666cats wrote:
I've become convinced (especially after S3) that Peyton and Engels may have been the true geniuses behind the original run and responsible for all the things I love so much. I thought it was Mark Frost at first, but maybe it's them. Lynch sets a great mood, but it seems he did very little writing and only directing in the 90s seasons. Good writing means much more to me than good directing!


AMEN to that! I feel exactly the same. Of course, when I was a little lad and information about such things as an overseas TV production, especially ongoing, was scarce in my part of the world, I thought Lynch was a one-man army responsible for the whole shebang. Seriously, I though he was the one who came up with all the concepts, themes and ideas, even for such characters as Ernie Niles, Evelyn Marsh, Little Nicky, Andrew Packard, Lana Milford, John Justice Wheeler, Windom Earle of course, the whole lot from the universally loathed back part of season 2.
Agent Earle
Posts: 909
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Postby Agent Earle » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:38 am

kitty666cats wrote:Even sections of Season 2 that a lot of people find cringe-worthy, I still have a whole lot of appreciation for. One thing that comes to mind is Dead Dog Farm. That was a very interesting set, especially what the realtor lady had to say about it... about how the best and worst people are drawn to it, or whatever it was she said. Could have been utilized more! Dead Dog Farm could even have been a suitable replacement for the abandoned lot in Buckhorn from Season 3, in a perfect world where S3 was filmed in the early 90s haha.

I would love for this thread to become a beacon for good ideas for a potential early 90s Season 3 that all of us have dreamed up in the past. Like I said before, the idea they had about Briggs being the only one with the capacity to rescue good Coop from the Black Lodge was SUCH a solid idea that they apparently had brewing up. Boundless potential in that idea, alone. I suppose Hawk going in there with Briggs would have worked too! We got teased with that in the real Season 3 :(


Dead Dog Farm was aces! And the subplot that sees Jean Renault meeting his end there and the speech he gives to Cooper beforehand ("maybe the nightmare came here with you and when you're gone so will be gone the nightmare ...") are pure dynamite! And then, just when those troubles end favourably for our hero and things seem to have settled down, there's the corpse of the vagrant arranged in a creepy way waiting for them at the sheriff's station - an omen of something much more sinister looming on the horizon for Cooper. Pure TP bliss!
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 2040
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Postby N. Needleman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:58 am

I think using Dead Dog Farm again would've been lovely. I was always fond of that bit of lore.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Jackpots
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Postby Mr. Jackpots » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:59 am

kitty666cats wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Lynch would of course never allow it.

I wonder how Lynch feels about Engels and Peyton these days. Peyton, who he allegedly didn't get along so well with, is doing excellent work on SyFy's deeply underrated Channel Zero anthology. I think both men did wonderful work on the original series and the best anyone could to carry his vision in his and Frost's collective absences. I'd still love to see them work on something Peaks-related again, but I think even if Lynch regards them kindly today (and I doubt he harbors any hatred) the likelihood of that happening is approximately zero. In every interview and even his new book talking about the show's highs and lows, he has retaken full control and will not be letting it go again.




Channel Zero is a great show. The First 2 seasons i thought were truly awesome. The 3rd season was just okay. Season 1, Candle Cove even had a red room type set where the protagonist confronts his missing brother aswell as a creepy monster in the finale. Also the tooth fairy creature is one of the freakiest things I've seen in a movie or TV. Fantastic makeup job on that thing.
User avatar
marchug
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.
Contact:

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Postby marchug » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:40 am

kitty666cats wrote:I've become convinced (especially after S3) that Peyton and Engels may have been the true geniuses behind the original run and responsible for all the things I love so much. I thought it was Mark Frost at first, but maybe it's them. Lynch sets a great mood, but it seems he did very little writing and only directing in the 90s seasons. Good writing means much more to me than good directing!


Amen. AAAAAMEN!
-23-
User avatar
krishnanspace
Posts: 920
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Postby krishnanspace » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:26 am

N. Needleman wrote:I think using Dead Dog Farm again would've been lovely. I was always fond of that bit of lore.

For me it was the Book House Boys lore that intrigued me.
User avatar
Valaquen
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:32 am
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Postby Valaquen » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:41 pm

Agent Earle wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Even sections of Season 2 that a lot of people find cringe-worthy, I still have a whole lot of appreciation for. One thing that comes to mind is Dead Dog Farm. That was a very interesting set, especially what the realtor lady had to say about it... about how the best and worst people are drawn to it, or whatever it was she said. Could have been utilized more! Dead Dog Farm could even have been a suitable replacement for the abandoned lot in Buckhorn from Season 3, in a perfect world where S3 was filmed in the early 90s haha.

I would love for this thread to become a beacon for good ideas for a potential early 90s Season 3 that all of us have dreamed up in the past. Like I said before, the idea they had about Briggs being the only one with the capacity to rescue good Coop from the Black Lodge was SUCH a solid idea that they apparently had brewing up. Boundless potential in that idea, alone. I suppose Hawk going in there with Briggs would have worked too! We got teased with that in the real Season 3 :(


Dead Dog Farm was aces! And the subplot that sees Jean Renault meeting his end there and the speech he gives to Cooper beforehand ("maybe the nightmare came here with you and when you're gone so will be gone the nightmare ...") are pure dynamite! And then, just when those troubles end favourably for our hero and things seem to have settled down, there's the corpse of the vagrant arranged in a creepy way waiting for them at the sheriff's station - an omen of something much more sinister looming on the horizon for Cooper. Pure TP bliss!


I thought that was a remarkable scene. Excellent shots of Cooper looking utterly defeated. Shame that Jean Renault was taken out so swiftly. His last speech was some dark poetry, cutting right into Dale.
Agent Earle
Posts: 909
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Postby Agent Earle » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:00 pm

Valaquen wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:Even sections of Season 2 that a lot of people find cringe-worthy, I still have a whole lot of appreciation for. One thing that comes to mind is Dead Dog Farm. That was a very interesting set, especially what the realtor lady had to say about it... about how the best and worst people are drawn to it, or whatever it was she said. Could have been utilized more! Dead Dog Farm could even have been a suitable replacement for the abandoned lot in Buckhorn from Season 3, in a perfect world where S3 was filmed in the early 90s haha.

I would love for this thread to become a beacon for good ideas for a potential early 90s Season 3 that all of us have dreamed up in the past. Like I said before, the idea they had about Briggs being the only one with the capacity to rescue good Coop from the Black Lodge was SUCH a solid idea that they apparently had brewing up. Boundless potential in that idea, alone. I suppose Hawk going in there with Briggs would have worked too! We got teased with that in the real Season 3 :(


Dead Dog Farm was aces! And the subplot that sees Jean Renault meeting his end there and the speech he gives to Cooper beforehand ("maybe the nightmare came here with you and when you're gone so will be gone the nightmare ...") are pure dynamite! And then, just when those troubles end favourably for our hero and things seem to have settled down, there's the corpse of the vagrant arranged in a creepy way waiting for them at the sheriff's station - an omen of something much more sinister looming on the horizon for Cooper. Pure TP bliss!


I thought that was a remarkable scene. Excellent shots of Cooper looking utterly defeated. Shame that Jean Renault was taken out so swiftly. His last speech was some dark poetry, cutting right into Dale.


Jean Renault is one of the most underrated characters in the TP lore in my opinion (much more memorable than Jacques). I wish they would've used him more - what a great, savory nemesis for Cooper. Each second he's on screen was immediately ingrained in my memory for all eternity and it's always great to meet a fellow JR appreciator! :)
User avatar
Valaquen
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:32 am
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Original Season 3 Plans

Postby Valaquen » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:58 am

Agent Earle wrote:Jean Renault is one of the most underrated characters in the TP lore in my opinion (much more memorable than Jacques). I wish they would've used him more - what a great, savory nemesis for Cooper. Each second he's on screen was immediately ingrained in my memory for all eternity and it's always great to meet a fellow JR appreciator! :)


Long live Michael Parks. Ideally I'd have loved Renault to tangle with Windom Earle, and form a triumvirate with Leo. But Windom crept around in his pyjamas most of the time and JR left the screen early. But what a great villain, and a memorable performance.

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests