Twin Peaks Poll - First Time

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

How and when did you first experience Twin Peaks TV Series or FWWM?

Original Airing in 1990/1991
38%
Borrowed a Friends Taped VHS Episodes in the 90's
1%
Official VHS or Laserdisc in the 90's
4%
Warner Bros. Euro Pilot VHS or Laserdisc
1%
Twin Peaks FWWM Theatrical Release
1%
Twin Peaks FWWM VHS, Laserdisc, or on Cable
2%
Bravo Twin Peaks Airing in 1993
1%
Twin Peaks Pilot Theatrical Screening
0%
Twin Peaks Artisan/Paramount DVD Set
6%
Twin Peaks Gold Box Set
10%
Twin Peaks Entire Mystery Blu-ray 2014
3%
Twin Peaks on Netflix, Hulu, or CBS on Demand
12%
Twin Peaks on iTunes
1%
Illegal Download
7%
Original Airing Outside of US
13%

Total votes: 331
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: Twin Peaks Poll - First Time

Post by Mordeen »

N. Needleman wrote:Rough week?
Hah that made me giggle.

In step with that previous tongue-in-cheeck post, I'll provide a translation for for the less worthy:

OOG = Obnoxious Original Gangster
NP = Nipple Pinchers (in reference to the long lost outtake of the scene where Coop orders breakfast, says "freshly squeezed" and then actually gropes Audrey. It's where the Coop <3 Audrey argument originally started, in the secret circles. . .)

Fun on a Friday!

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

Mordeen wrote:and then actually gropes Audrey.
I thought we weren't supposed to talk about politics on this forum.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

krishnanspace wrote:
Annie wrote:I'm not even gonna say how old I was when I first saw it. But everybody at work was watching and talking about it. We even played the soundtrack on cassette! And I saw FWWM twice in the theater...
I feel that you are the oldest among all of us
No, I have friends who were old enough to go to Woodstock and they saw it the first time around. What's exciting now is my nephew who just turned 21 is going to watch it with all his friends!

From an oldie but a goodie...
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Annie wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
Annie wrote:I'm not even gonna say how old I was when I first saw it. But everybody at work was watching and talking about it. We even played the soundtrack on cassette! And I saw FWWM twice in the theater...
I feel that you are the oldest among all of us
No, I have friends who were old enough to go to Woodstock and they saw it the first time around. What's exciting now is my nephew who just turned 21 is going to watch it with all his friends!

From an oldie but a goodie...
Cool! I'll be 21 in 5 days :d
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

I watched for the first time through the Gold Box. It took me about a week to watch the whole show. I would get home from high school and burn through as many episodes as I could per night. Man did my homework suffer.

Interestingly, the first episode I ever watched was Episode 2 and I didn't watch the pilot until after I had finished the series. My art teacher at the time warned me off of the pilot, I think because he thought it was going to be the one with the European ending. When I watched it after watching the rest of the series, at the time, I was so confused as to why he told me to avoid it, haha.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

I used to wake up early and watch my older Sister's VHS tapes, not long at all after it must have first aired. I wasn't even 10 yet (I'm 33) and they scared the living shit out of me, but I was hooked. Got really into the show and its mythology, etc in my very early teens; read the books, etc.

I actually make a point of listening to the OSTs (including the archive) fairly rarely, as they still retain those goosebump-inducing etheral feelings from way back then, and I don't want those to fade. :P
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I watched twin peaks for first time in the year 2001. This was the year I became a huge Lynch fan. I had seen elephant man and dune as a kid. And saw lost highway in the theatre as a teenager. I Liked all these movies. But they didnt leave a huge impression on me.

The first episodes I watched were the final 2 episodes. And they did make a huge impression on me. That final episode is still one of the most original things ever put on celluloid in my opinion.

Well after that I was hooked. I continued to watch the series, this time from the beginning. And went back to discover all of Lynch s films.

My favourite Lynch film is inland empire. I watched it 4 times at the cinema during its limited release in my city.
intothewildwood

Post by intothewildwood »

Wow. Looks like I'm the only one so far who started with the FWWM theatrical release.

A friend and I went to the midnight movie at the local art-house theater almost every weekend that summer, and we would usually either go to White Castle or drive around back roads afterwards and discuss the movie. He'd heard stuff about the show; I'd missed it entirely (I was away at college at the time). So he'd told me there was something about extra-terrestrials and giant owls. Or possibly giant psychic extra-terrestrial owls.

So after FWWM we were both like, "What just happened?" And we went barreling along in his truck on dark country roads as usual, and it felt as if we should expect a body to come flying out of the woods to land on the road in front of the car, or some bizarre thing like that. I think that movie was the weirdest thing either of us had ever seen at the time. I ended up deciding (till I saw the original series) that the surrealism was metaphorical (or hallucinatory), illustrating Laura's increasingly traumatized mental state.

Needless to say, we watched (and recorded) the Bravo reruns religiously when they started up, and wondered what it would have been like to see the show without already knowing who killed Laura Palmer. And Lara Flynn Boyle always seemed wrong as Donna.
REdKing
Roadhouse Member

Post by REdKing »

I was really prodded into getting into Twin Peaks by two ex-girlfriends. I thank each of them now.
The first was in 1997-1998. She was ten years older than me and would point out all of these references to actors in other movies I was watching, like Critters 4 (Yeah, I know.) with Eric DaRe, etc. I was already acquainted with Lynch by way of Lost Highway, Dune, and Elephant Man. Blue Velvet and Eraserhead would come to me later.
The other girlfriend was in my college freshman year, 1998-1999. She was obsessed with the movie, FWWM. Given that, I suppose I first viewed FWWM on a VHS copy she had.
Anyhow, in 2000 I went to my friend's joint, and she had a complete Twin Peaks VHS box set on her mantel, which I was quite jealous of.
That year, if my timeline is correct, I finally completely immersed myself with the international pilot I found on previously viewed VHS at a Hastings. That was shortly followed with the first season's release on DVD. I completed that journey when the second season DVDs finally arrived.
I relied on those DVD sets for several group watches in the mid-late 2000's.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

I wrote a dissertation on Lynch's films and his use of the themes of dreams, I chose to after only having watched The Elephant Man, and I was intrigued. I went on to use Fire Walk with Me, (which I saw before the series, still blew me away) and that led to the show itself.
Last edited by Trudy Chelgren on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

Bought the first DVD set for a friend of for his birthday and ended up watching with him. That edition didn't have the pilot, and it was probably a decade later before I was able to finally view it (that was after I had seen both seasons and FWWM).
Welcome...to the third...place.
TamaraPreston

Post by TamaraPreston »

Hi! I'm a newbie so this thread feels an appropriate way to start.
I started watching at the start of series 2 when it was first aired in the UK. It was shown on a Tuesday and then repeated very late on a Saturday.
I was channel hopping one tuesday and there was a giant in a room talking nonsense and I thought "what the hell is this?!" I watched to the end and I was terrified and utterly captivated.
Watched the repeat that coming Saturday and I was even more baffled and hooked.
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

First time - 1989 in the U.K/1991 when the series originally aired. I was only 12 at the time. :)
The Angels will return...
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Well, technically I might have seen some of it as an infant - I was born in 91 and my parents watched it as it was broadcast.
When Season 1 was first released on DVD, my dad got it and showed it to me. Since it was missing the pilot, I was a little confused and uncertain, but from the moment of BOB's appearance I was intrigued and kept watching it. I was hooked by Episode 2!
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Surprisingly, my mother told me there was a show on that she thought I would like. I was skeptical. Sometimes she understood what I liked, other times she seemed to think I liked anything.

But that began a weekly tradition of watching the show with her. I was staying at home during that time after trying to refrain from a decadent party scene.

For that reason, I think, I highly related to Laura Palmer's various indiscretions, and the show felt a bit like therapy for my unconscious. That was when I learned that the estranging, enigmatic effects of art were much superior than any drug.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge