Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Agent Earle wrote: Haven't seen the samurai remake yet. Nor his hugely controversial segment on Masters of Horror Season 1 (called "Imprint"), of which I heard nothing but things that should make it right up my alley.
Have you seen Itchi the Killer, btw? Another overrated atrocity.
I was willing to watch both (Ichi and Imprint) but a friend of mine said they're both overrated and a little bit "violence over substance" for his taste, so I kind of lost interest.
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

watch satoshi kon. he is the david lynch from anime. i want s3 to be like parika or paranoia agent :D

crazyscottishguy
RR Diner Member

Post by crazyscottishguy »

Jacoby wrote:I can't recommend Legion enough. It is on fire.
There's one scene in Episode 5 that references so much Maddie's death scene. I was watching it and couldn't help but :shock: :shock: :shock:

Skip to 10:23

Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Yesterday I hit upon this fine piece of acting ... by the adorable Amanda Seyfried.

http://www.nowness.com/story/dog-food-b ... n=tw280317
tmurry
Roadhouse Member

Post by tmurry »

Yesterday I hit upon this fine piece of acting ... by the adorable Amanda Seyfried.

http://www.nowness.com/story/dog-food-b ... n=tw280317
So cute! Couldn't you just eat her up?
Ratmeat

Post by Ratmeat »

I'd recommend the game Night in the Woods. It takes place in a small town, has fun characters, and had a few moments that reminded me of TP/Lynch stuff. It's much more focused on story than gameplay. The creator said he's never said Twin Peaks but I've seen other people mention they get a bit of a vibe of it too.

secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

netflix's DIRK GENTLY
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Better Call Saul - season 3, first episode just aired and I really dig what I saw. Dark undertones, especially for Mike's story, and somehow the soundtrack draws me in... :)
Ubermensch33
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ubermensch33 »

N. Needleman wrote:Mostly repeating a lot of stuff others already said:

Top of the Lake, from director Jane Campion. (On Netflix in the US)

The Returned (Les Revenants). The original French series. (Also on US Netflix)

Broadchurch from the UK - the first series, at least - owes a huge debt to TP and WKLP in its main story and setup and the explorations of reprecussions from a single death, though it isn't supernatural in nature and has its flaws. But it has a great cast and a largely satisfying story and ensemble. I hear the second series was largely despised, but I haven't watched it yet. It too is on Netflix.

For the gamers, DONTNOD's adventure game Life is Strange is set in the Pacific Northwest and has a great many TP easter eggs. It's a very detailed game with rich characters, albeit far from perfect in terms of narrative, but still a great experience and it helped keep the TP cravings at bay for me last year. Little did I know...

I'd think of more but I'm trying to clean my apt. Oy.
Came here to reply with Top of the Lake! Broadchurch, as well.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

I would recommend the game Thimbleweed Park. It's by Ron Gilbert, creator of LucasArt's old SCUMM games, and has a retro art style not too dissimilar from classics like Monkey Island. I'm about halfway thru the game thus far, it revolves around an FBI agent in a charming and quirky small town and has lots of Twin Peaks vibes.

"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Looks like this thread has about wrapped up as we move closer to May 21st. Thank you all for your input.

I did end up watching Rectify, all seasons, which was very good and I would highly recommend. I also plan to take a look at a lot of the other recommendations for shows and movies as I have time.

Meanwhile, on to Season 3...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

mtwentz wrote:Looks like this thread has about wrapped up as we move closer to May 21st.
Nah, but there is still enough time for someone to watch The Kingdom (Riget). I looked through most of this thread and was thrilled to see how many people have watched and appreciated this - I'll double that - masterpiece. That's a good thing about it only having two series! Actually, unlike probably most people here, I like TV shows the shorter the better*. On the one hand - for strictly practical reasons: I never have time to watch anything and things longer than a few hours just don't work for me. I've lately completed my first watching of the first season of Dexter; took me FOUR MONTHS, yay!
On the other hand: I do believe that more doesn't mean better... Over here in Poland in 1991 I didn't have the slightest clue about what was happening to Twin Peaks on ABC, prime time, no prime time, cancelling, third season options. Just took it for granted and treated it as a full and complete whole, the Pilot + 29 episodes. Then I learnt that many people regretted that it hadn't lasted for years. I have no problem with that but also no need for that.
So now I have just learned that Riget was also planned for the third season (just read it in this thread) and that people regret that it didn't happen. Still, as it is, there are only two seasons (and the first one apparently better, isn't it, even with the stunning Udo Kier head in the second one :shock: ) and that gives a chance to watch it in the days coming before Twin Peaks Return :)

* Looking at what's happening to Sherlock, I get pretty convinced about that! :evil:
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

BOB1 wrote: Nah, but there is still enough time for someone to watch The Kingdom (Riget). I looked through most of this thread and was thrilled to see how many people have watched and appreciated this - I'll double that - masterpiece. That's a good thing about it only having two series! Actually, unlike probably most people here, I like TV shows the shorter the better*. On the one hand - for strictly practical reasons: I never have time to watch anything and things longer than a few hours just don't work for me. I've lately completed my first watching of the first season of Dexter; took me FOUR MONTHS, yay!
On the other hand: I do believe that more doesn't mean better... Over here in Poland in 1991 I didn't have the slightest clue about what was happening to Twin Peaks on ABC, prime time, no prime time, cancelling, third season options. Just took it for granted and treated it as a full and complete whole, the Pilot + 29 episodes. Then I learnt that many people regretted that it hadn't lasted for years. I have no problem with that but also no need for that.
So now I have just learned that Riget was also planned for the third season (just read it in this thread) and that people regret that it didn't happen. Still, as it is, there are only two seasons (and the first one apparently better, isn't it, even with the stunning Udo Kier head in the second one :shock: ) and that gives a chance to watch it in the days coming before Twin Peaks Return :)

* Looking at what's happening to Sherlock, I get pretty convinced about that! :evil:
Well, of course we're sorry the third season of Riget didn't happen, since it was its author's very much pronounced intention - the scripts have been written, but then the deaths of two leads put the kibosh on the thing. So we're stuck with a MASSIVE amount of cliffhangers that we're forced to live with for ever after (it's extremely doubtful Von Trier will ever return to it and if he will, it'll be with a whole set of new faces, I bet, and it just wouldn't be Riget we know and love - it could still be great, but it wouldn't be the same piece of art).

Other than that, with your TV-watching guideline being as it is ("the shorter the better"), you're missing out on some GREAT (post-2000) TV, let me tell you, my friend.

Also, my experience upon watching TP on our national television for the first time in '91 was exactly the same as yours: didn't know any of the behind-the-scenes stories and thought it was always meant for the show to conclude the way it has, after only 30 "parts", as we called them in my little corner of the world (I guess we were ahead of the time language-wise :) ). The amount did seem quite a lot to me at the time (plus - unlike Riget - strangely resolute and "whole" - the consequence of creators doing everything to get a third season but preparing that they won't), but unlike you, I've daydreamed afterwards and for many years later (up till 2014): "Gosh, wouldn't it be great if they'd do more!".
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

if you like "Riget" and Lynch i strongly recommend watching Lars Von Trier's first three movies which form the so called "Europa Trilogy".. especially the last one ("Europa" / "Zentropa") which is a superb exercise in stylistic visual movie making that was extremely illuminating for me as i was used to seeing Von Trier work in that very stripped down, realistic, handheld camera style without much visual flair.. they also have a lot of the pitch black dark humor (and some of the actors) from "Riget".
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I've always been meaning to check Europa out; brilliant actors Ernst Hugo Jaregard and Udo Kier appearing in it being the main attraction. I guess it's time for me to finally do it.