Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

djerdap
RR Diner Member

Re: Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

Post by djerdap »

The Handmaiden just might be my favourite Park film. It's visually spectacular, the characters are constantly compelling, the twists add to the story and to the characters instead of taking something from them, and there is a sense of fun and looseness which I feel was absent from his other work. In general I preferred Bong Joon-ho to Park Chan-wook on the account that the former didn't always take himself as seriously. Memories of Murder remains for me the masterpiece of Korean New Wave and a big reason is its perfect combo of eccentric Korean humour and some very heavy drama. Not a Lynchian film per se, but there are reasons why I think Lynch might appreciate the film (going into details would be spoiler territory).
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Yeah, Memories of Murder is truly a great flick and may be among the five best Asian thrillers I ever saw (and among the best serial killer flicks at that; easily surpasses Se7en and rivals The Silence of the Lambs!). Also, LOVED the director's The Host (Gwoemul) from 2006, a creature feature to challenge Godzilla and King Kong as one of the best the subgenre has to offer; too bad nothing ever came out of that proposed sequel. Now, I really should check out Bong's English-language Snowpiercer one of these days...
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Agent Earle wrote: Interesting choice there for the Number Three Lynch flick! Almost agree with you as The Straight Story always seemed horribly underrated to me; I bet a lot of mainstream viewers today don't have a clue Lynch made it all. May I ask what are your numbers One and Two? My first three are: 1. Blue Velvet; 2: TP: FWWM and 3. Wild at Heart. Far ahead of everything else of his, especially Mulholland Dr.
Inland Empire and FWWM.. :) don't know which comes first

Check out this thread to find out more about forum member's favorite Lynch movies.
Last edited by Soolsma on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Wow, what an exotic mix! Mine is a lot more consistent, may I note :)
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I've tried very hard trying to define what I like aesthetically. The only thing I was able to come up with is that I like contrast, so I guess you could say that fits with an exotic taste :mrgreen:
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Fargo S3 has a really cool cast. Enough reason to look forward to it.
I'll see you in the trees
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Rainwater wrote:Fargo S3 has a really cool cast. Enough reason to look forward to it.
Less than a month away now! Nice.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Agent Earle wrote: If you do, also check out its predecessor, Three (2002), which was released in English-speaking territories as the sequel to Three... Extremes (they titled it 3 Extremes II), when in fact it was the other way around! Anyhow, both are really solid anthologies and I have a hard time deciding which one is better.
Thanks for the tip, never heard about the predecessor film before. Does it matter the order I watch it or the films have no direct relation?
Agent Earle wrote:Regarding Miike, I find his best movie to be Visitor Q (2001), though it's really over-the-top in the barf department, so definitely not for the squeamish :) I've seen quite a lot of his stuff over the years and can't say I'm his biggest fan, as his stories are generally a little (well, some a LOT) too convoluted for my liking...
Yeah, I've heard Miike is pretty much hit or miss with his films. I loved Audition but One Missed Call is a pretty dumb Ringu rip off IMO. Heard great things about his Seven Samurai remake tho.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Rainwater wrote:Fargo S3 has a really cool cast. Enough reason to look forward to it.
Both S1 and S2 (and of course the movie) were so freaking good, S2 even surpassing the first. Wonder if they can raise their standards again.

McGregor in a dual role :o cool!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

So any Iñárritu fans out here? I love pretty much all his films. The collaboration between him and Gustavo Santaolalla (the composer for almost every Iñárritu film) is so powerful and up there with Lynch vs. Badalementi for me.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Has anybody seen Denis Villeneuve's Enemy?

Weird, disturbing and surreal character piece with little dialogue and tons of atmosphere. It has an open-to-interpretation premise with themes that I feel overlap quite a bit with Eraserhead (fear of responsibility and commitment, escapism, repression etc.). VIlleneuve is showing himself to be quite a versatile filmmaker. I really hope he doesn't mess up the sequel to Blade Runner, since he is a very strong stylistic director with a great eye whose work is sometimes impaired by problematic scripts (I really wasn't a fan of Arrival for instance).
Soolsma wrote:So any Iñárritu fans out here? I love pretty much all his films. The collaboration between him and Gustavo Santaolalla (the composer for almost every Iñárritu film) is so powerful and up there with Lynch vs. Badalementi for me.
I like him, despite some inconsistencies in his filmography (wasn't that big on Babel and The Revenant). Amores Perros and Birdman are in particular great.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

"Enemy" is an awesome film. I watched it 5 or 6 times and always came to a different conclusion. I love Gyllenhaals dark side. "Nocturnal Animals" comes to mind as well, also enjoyable.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Agent Earle wrote: If you do, also check out its predecessor, Three (2002), which was released in English-speaking territories as the sequel to Three... Extremes (they titled it 3 Extremes II), when in fact it was the other way around! Anyhow, both are really solid anthologies and I have a hard time deciding which one is better.
Thanks for the tip, never heard about the predecessor film before. Does it matter the order I watch it or the films have no direct relation?
Doesn't matter in the slightest; the only "connection" between the flicks is that they are both anthology movies, meaning they consist of several story segments (three each), each directed by a different Asian director.
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Agent Earle wrote: Regarding Miike, I find his best movie to be Visitor Q (2001), though it's really over-the-top in the barf department, so definitely not for the squeamish :) I've seen quite a lot of his stuff over the years and can't say I'm his biggest fan, as his stories are generally a little (well, some a LOT) too convoluted for my liking...
Yeah, I've heard Miike is pretty much hit or miss with his films. I loved Audition but One Missed Call is a pretty dumb Ringu rip off IMO. Heard great things about his Seven Samurai remake tho.
One Missed Call really ain't all that, though it at least contains a semblance of what could be called a coherent plot. If you wanna see what happens when that's not the case, see Gozu and Izo - or better yet, don't. :)
Haven't seen the samurai remake yet. Nor his hugely controversial segment on Masters of Horror Season 1 (called "Imprint"), of which I heard nothing but things that should make it right up my alley.
Have you seen Itchi the Killer, btw? Another overrated atrocity.
Last edited by Agent Earle on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Soolsma wrote:So any Iñárritu fans out here? I love pretty much all his films. The collaboration between him and Gustavo Santaolalla (the composer for almost every Iñárritu film) is so powerful and up there with Lynch vs. Badalementi for me.
Count me as the Iñárritu guy. I only saw three of his flicks so far - Babel, Birdman, and The Revenant - and found them all greatly enjoyable bordering on fantastic!
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

It's been mentioned twice here already, but I believe it deserves another mention - Legion is truly great! Saw the penultimate episode yesterday and it was a feast for your eyes!

It really pushes the envelope on what you can do with a tv show. It's very surreal, like Hannibal or TP. The show it resembles the most is probably Mr Robot, which I also recommend highly.