The Random Twin Peaks Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: The Random Twin Peaks Thread

Post by LateReg »

krishnanspace wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:Has anyone been watching Sharp Objects? Feels a little like Peaks set in the South.

Also, lots of ceiling fan shots.
I've heard its good.Need to watch it
I've been watching Sharp Objects. Sadly, for me, it feels very basic. Well-made and performed, even elegant, but very little to distinguish it from the current model of Prestige TV. I felt this way - that so-called Prestige TV has plateaued and is in a static state - about a lot of TV in the build-up to Twin Peaks: The Return, so while TP aired and since those feelings have obviously been magnified. Sharp Objects is surely good but I wish it were more.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:Just watched Mulholland Drive last night, for the first time since it was released. I had forgotten most of what happens because of the nearly 20 year gap, so when Rebekah Del Rio was suddenly announced I yelled, "What?! What is this?! I'm gettin' fuckin' Roadhoused in Mulholland Drive!"

By the way, what a scary and dismal film. An excellent delivery of very unpleasant and dreary subject matter. I am glad this ended up not being about Audrey, but upon reflection, realized that Lynch and Frost have had it out for her a very long time, either way.
That's really interesting. I knew of the Mulholland Drive-Audrey connection forever, but I had not once considered it in this way, ie that Lynch was perhaps always planning on putting her through the wringer. Very interesting, thanks!
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

LateReg wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:Has anyone been watching Sharp Objects? Feels a little like Peaks set in the South.

Also, lots of ceiling fan shots.
I've heard its good.Need to watch it
I've been watching Sharp Objects. Sadly, for me, it feels very basic. Well-made and performed, even elegant, but very little to distinguish it from the current model of Prestige TV. I felt this way - that so-called Prestige TV has plateaued and is in a static state - about a lot of TV in the build-up to Twin Peaks: The Return, so while TP aired and since those feelings have obviously been magnified. Sharp Objects is surely good but I wish it were more.
I feel like the editing really distinguishes it from anything else I've seen on tv and the performances are fantastic, especially Amy Adams, Patricia Clarkson and the girl playing Amma. But in terms of plot and thematic heft it really doesn't transcend the current model of Prestige TV/Peak TV like the Return did, and that's a really tall order. Still, it's the best thing I have seen on TV since the Return.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

dreamshake wrote:
LateReg wrote:
krishnanspace wrote: I've heard its good.Need to watch it
I feel like the editing really distinguishes it from anything else I've seen on tv and the performances are fantastic, especially Amy Adams, Patricia Clarkson and the girl playing Amma. But in terms of plot and thematic heft it really doesn't transcend the current model of Prestige TV/Peak TV like the Return did, and that's a really tall order. Still, it's the best thing I have seen on TV since the Return.
The editing is very nice and the best part but it's very typical of all of the director's output - which is a good thing. I've said for years that the way he summons memory via editing is the best thing about him, and Sharp Objects is no exception. For me, however, it's not enough to elevate the show, which besides thematic heft and plot also looks and feels similar to everything else, even with the elegance of the editing. At least thus far. (I'm two episodes behind, by the way.) But I'm glad you're finding that much to like about it and I'm someone who rewatches just about everything, so there's still hope for me!
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

The Sopranos is about the only thing that holds up after The Return, for me. Most other shows feel kind of average and quaint. There's so much to digest and think about.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Mad Men is the only show that came close to rivaling my love of Twin Peaks, but I've really been enjoying Sharp Objects, and it has filled some of the void since The Return went off. The show is definitely more basic in its approach, but the underlying story and motivations of the characters are much more complex than the show seems on its face. The Twin Peaks trope of solving a murder in a strange, small town has been used a lot - but SO seems like Twin Peaks inverted - explained below. (For those that haven't watched the show or are a few episodes behind, I've put the below as a spoiler.)
Spoiler:
In TP, the father murders his own daughter - in SO, the mother murders her own daughter (assuming the last episode holds up unless there's a surprise in store for the finale - I haven't read the novel.) Alan seems like some weird amalgamation of Leland (listening to his records) and very much like Sarah Palmer - a passive bystander while their spouse abuses and eventually murders their child and possibly two other girls.
There are other little resonances of TP in the show as well - the shots of the Crellin house remind me of the shots of the Palmer house, the stairs, the fans, the dreams - even Adora's crazy wallpaper - I can't help but feel like Twin Peaks was an influence on the director or the author when she was writing the novel and maybe that's why I've taken a liking to it. The similarities are there, but they're subtle and not overdone - looking forward to the finale next week.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Has anyone seen the new movie "White Boy Rick"? I noticed that Piper Laurie is in it and it looks like her husband is played by Bruce Dern (Laura Dern's father of course).
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

dreamshake wrote:
LateReg wrote:
krishnanspace wrote: I've heard its good.Need to watch it
I've been meaning to report back that I've finished Sharp Objects, and I was really into the final three episodes, which made clear that there was a lot to pick up on within the editing and made me want to rewatch it in its entirety! In the end I was won over, and look forward to a rewatch one day.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

I watched Sharp Objects entirely because of people mentioning it on this board. I wouldn't have even known that it existed otherwise. I mostly enjoyed it and sometimes even loved it. I agree that the editing and three principle actresses were what elevated it the most.

A few nights ago I went to get a snack and I happened upon "Amma" irl, doing same. Maybe other people already know this, but she began to speak and it turns out that she's Australian! I guess that's another point for her acting skills, but when are Australians going to stop stealing American acting jobs and tricking me with their fake accents? They can't keep getting away with it!

Anyway, it looks like she's going to be doing a film with Laura Dern. To bring this back on topic, I think that she'd be a phenomenal Twin Peaks resident, so I hope that Laura thinks the same thing and subtly conveys this to Lynch. (Lynch is pretty much guaranteed not to have seen Sharp Objects.)
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Jasper wrote: I think that she'd be a phenomenal Twin Peaks resident, so I hope that Laura thinks the same thing and subtly conveys this to Lynch.
- Some great acting and range for such a young age. - Would love to see her in a Season 4. - Didn't know she had a film planned with Laura Dern - I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of her.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Dreamlike TV series lovers, check out Netflix's Maniac. It's goooood.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:Dreamlike TV series lovers, check out Netflix's Maniac. It's goooood.
Been wanting to watch it. Also check out Trapped. Its an Icelandic Tv show. Has a lot of Twin Peaks vibes
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

I've been binging on Mad Men lately and came across this article last night - it's a few years old, obviously, but a fun read for anyone who enjoys Mad Men/Twin Peaks connections.

https://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/ ... peaks.html
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

I was watching 'On the Air' on youtube & saw a familiar face in one of the thumbnails..
Renzo.jpg
Renzo.jpg (81.71 KiB) Viewed 9838 times
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Not sure where the best place is to post this, so I’ll just drop it here: Mary Sweeney is a producer on Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner’s new Amazon show The Romanoffs, and also cowrote one episode with Weiner. By most accounts the show is a self-indulgent hot mess and not something I’m in a hurry to watch, despite my love for Mad Men. But it’s nice to see Sweeney working after a few years’ gap.