Showtime Re-broadcast of Original Series

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DeerMeadowRadio
RR Diner Member

Re: Showtime to Re-broadcast Original Series Early Next Year

Post by DeerMeadowRadio »

Oh yeah, that rings a bell. Does/did anyone get Crime & Investigation? Wonder how they marketed and aired it...

Is Sleuth/Cloo a UK channel?
Jerry Horne wrote:Pretty sure it aired on the Crimes & Investigation channel as well.

Come Listen to Deer Meadow Radio - A Twin Peaks Podcast

http://www.deermeadowradio.libsyn.com/
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

It's a US channel. But maybe it was Crimes & Investigation I'm thinking of. I just remember happening upon a second season Twin Peaks episode on some channel I never watched around that time.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

mtwentz wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
DeerMeadowRadio wrote:I am not too bothered by the re-airing personally (I have the episodes :wink:)
I know. I think it's nice of Showtime to do this for those who watched the show a long time ago or don't have access to it, but most of us have all the episodes and FWWM at home. Why is it important or relevant how or when they're gonna run the old episodes and FWWM?
Two reasons:
1. An early indicator of when the new series will likely premiere (if they are going to air only one per week, we've got a longer wait then we thought).

2. It's a great way to build momentum for the new series. My guess is even those of us diehards who own Twin Peaks the entire series on DVD will be watching, hoping for any little trailer or interview slotted in during the commercial breaks.
A chapter a week, will not be. They have to issue more. The series begins airing the first half of 2017. if they issue a chapter a week in September we are still with the second season.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

DeerMeadowRadio wrote:Oh yeah, that rings a bell. Does/did anyone get Crime & Investigation? Wonder how they marketed and aired it...

Jerry Horne wrote:Pretty sure it aired on the Crimes & Investigation channel as well.

They are reissuing the series in a different channel to showtime?
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

Harry S. Truman wrote:
DeerMeadowRadio wrote:

They are reissuing the series in a different channel to showtime?
No, we are talking about times Twin Peaks was shown on different channels in the past.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Harry S. Truman wrote: A chapter a week, will not be. They have to issue more. The series begins airing the first half of 2017. if they issue a chapter a week in September we are still with the second season.
It would end by the end of July. I don't see Showtime dedicating the entire first semester only to the rerun.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Yeah, a re-run won't take 6 months or something. I still think they'll be airing one per day.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

If I had to guess, I'd think a weekend marathon leading up to a Sunday premiere.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

More and more I am convinced (by nothing more than my own mind, of course) that it will be daily or close to it - that allows Showtime to create a relentless viral buzz and hype train. "Twin Peaks Month," etc. Articles on every site about every episode, reliving the entire phenomenon, probably weekly or daily teasers of the new material, then the new show.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Panapaok wrote:Yeah, a re-run won't take 6 months or something. I still think they'll be airing one per day.
On the first half of 2017, they will issue the new season. logically with reissuing not take that time . reissuing I see it will be daily.
map66

Post by map66 »

I agree with the couple above that it will be a marathon over a day and a half probably a month or so before release. The episodes will off course be available on Showtime on demand, so that will give people a chance to catch up at a more leisurely pace.

I'm almost wondering if they are not up on that service already because Showtime doesn't have the rights to them until 2017, especially as Showtime would want as many people as possible for as long as possible to watch/ re-watch the series. If that's the case, I could almost see a January 1st marathon on one of the alternate Showtime channels.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

Showtime is owned by CBS which owns the rights to and is the distributor of the original series.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

DeerMeadowRadio wrote:I am not too bothered by the re-airing personally (I have the episodes :wink:), but it did occur to me the other day - would this be the first airing of Peaks in the US since Bravo in the 90s? I think it is, but with 6000 cable stations, at last count, why has it not aired since then?
Bravo showed it again a few times I believe, and personally I've stumbled across episodes on back channels (maybe it was just Bravo? I don't think the series was syndicated) so they've been out there. But I don't know if they are run in order or just willy-nilly like, say, Seinfeld or something (obviously not a rerun format that works particularly well for Peaks).
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

N. Needleman wrote:More and more I am convinced (by nothing more than my own mind, of course) that it will be daily or close to it - that allows Showtime to create a relentless viral buzz and hype train. "Twin Peaks Month," etc. Articles on every site about every episode, reliving the entire phenomenon, probably weekly or daily teasers of the new material, then the new show.
Exactly. I don't like the marathon idea - it seems to defeat the purpose of hyping a rerun (at that point you might as well just leave it on Netflix/Hulu or Showtime on demand and send viewers there), plus marathoning the series immediately beforehand is not the best preparation for a new show which will be stringing the viewer along week to week (although I'm sure many viewers will prep this way anyway, and I might be one of them haha). Daily is the best compromise between the need to compress the rerun and the need to let it breathe.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

N. Needleman wrote:More and more I am convinced (by nothing more than my own mind, of course) that it will be daily or close to it - that allows Showtime to create a relentless viral buzz and hype train. "Twin Peaks Month," etc. Articles on every site about every episode, reliving the entire phenomenon.
Do the websites have a say in this or are you just deciding their content for them?

I also don't know why some of you seem to think that there's going to be teasers upon teasers. It's clear that Lynch wants to reveal as little as humanly possible (while still also promoting the show properly).